View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 23:21   #149
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odikter View Post
Well, after hours of reading this post I still don't know how you choose the material if you like a shape of a knife for ex. in a web shop. Many knife brands choose the material for the knife instead of you for the use of the knife they make. Many steel producers make almost the same steel material in different names. Uddeholm, Böhler, etc. are famous steel factories and most of knife makers are choosing from they steels according the meaning of the knife. I am a knife maker too and also I am choosing different material for an assault knife than the survival one. Assault knife I make harder for ex. around 62 HRC, survival knives I make around 58 HRC just for easy sharpening in field. Harder material harder to sharpen but the edge takes longer, and via. So, I mean if you order knife from knifemakers they will offer from they available materials the best for your needs, but if you fall in love with a knife on the internet you have no chance to choose, just if you order a copy from a maker. I say that if the blade is for fight choose material around 62-63 HRC (never go over, may break in field) or if the blade is for common knife use search for 58-59 HRC hard material. No meaning for the name of steel. My best blades I made from recycled materials. (ball bearings, car springs, chainsaw chain) Good heat treating is the most necessary, the best material could be bad without a good heat treating.

The points of choosing knife (and material): hardness, stainless -or not, shape (full tang I prefer) and thickness, sharpening and cleaning attributes, handle material, love it or not. That simple. Would it be the hardest and greatest material if you cannot sharpen by yourself. (There is another knowledge for sharpening...)

There is no best steel material for knives, just difference for uses.

There is no bad knife, just bad hand for it...

Bill, this is not for You, I know You know all about that.
Sorry for the poor english...
Odikter,
Sorry for the delay in responding, very bad manners on my part.

Welcome to the knife area and if you would like, please post pictures of some of your knives here. I would like to see them.
Your english is much better than my Finnish or Sami.

We will talk more about steel hardness soon.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote