View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 09:02   #139
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
x SF med,
I really like your take on things, you speak many truths in ways I would not have thought of.
Will look forward to discussing details after the trip to Atlanta.

Thank you for the kind words.

Bill, Martin-
Thanks!
I went back through my list after a little sleep, and realized the list above, almost gets one to the point where you can design the blade once you figure out how the knife is going to be used.
The design of the knife; edge versus spine thickness; shape of the edge(s); length, depth, breadth of tang; known treating/annealing properties of the metal; re-matrixing; and the grain of the martensiting/austensiting ... may cause reconsideration of the steel used after the prototype is underway, based on the production capabilities if the blade is going into mass, or even in some cases limited production, just from the QC process on each blank prior to final edge shaping and sharpening.

Bill... in the words of my concrete busting and pouring buddy, you really just might be a rocket surgeon - I gain more and more respect for you, your craft, the art and the science of your designs the longer I know you.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote