View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 13:51   #42
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Thank you so very much for all these posts, MtnGoat. Yes, I was all wide-eyed too. Considering all the implications, that's scary *****.

When I perused those softwares, I didn't see much noise suppression though. Information is only as good as the knowledge one can extract from it.

I genuinely felt smarter going through and rereading this thread. As I delve further in the IC, I'd be grand to meet you and pick your brain barring OPSEC/PERSEC of course.

Ditto with Brush Okie on disinformation. Misdirection works well from the hand-to-hand level all the way to strategic.
As far as the noise of the information, are asking if anyone uses the software and that the data is pulled in is so much and then you visualize it, you will see so much that it will be a bunch of dots and lines? So much that you really wouldn't be able to find any information out there. Is this what your saying?

Yes, to a point, but most software user can set the parameters. Also just for anyone that uses AnB or Palantir, you can control where, what and how you "pull" the data. So for me it is learning the software you are using and the user knowledge of that system. 18Fs don't use the ASK Kits we have with AnB. Then you have Palantir, where many 18Fs and MID people don't really know it we'll enough to use it effectively. This plays into one of the biggest issues with a lot of this.. User knowledge. This is where many say other people can do all of this. For me the people saying this aren't down at the tactical level, on the ODAs, CATs or MIST. So sending up a RFS to come MACOM or Nation level Agency takes time, typically over a week. Think about those CIOC RFS you submit online. How long do they take? This goes back to my thinking of adding the new cyber MOSs at the Battalion MIDs and even at some Company levels. Remove a ASAP or HUMINT position and add a heckler or cyber MOS there. We don't have this capability currently. Remember most of what SM is and doing SMA is a big form of OSINT. So your not losing a ASAP, we are gaining another INTEL assist position and can also be very Operational in means. Goes back to the BCT / FSC methodology, keep it internal for better and fast support.

Or you say that is data is bad you get bad visualization? Shit in equals shit out thinking?

If this is your thinking? This has always been an issue with all disciplines of INTEL. You get what others put into the system. Analysis job is to shift through the data to find what you have and can use. Visualization software don't always make is easier, but IMO it really helps. This is where a good Commanders Intent plays in with a solid collection plans come in too.

If these are not what your looking at please fill in. Expand on what your thinking too. THANKs

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote