View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 10:27   #14
Rigger22
Asset

Rigger 1964-66

I was in the 10th SFG at Toelz Rigger section for two years. We did have pinups as that era was not interested in Political Correctness. We also had a keg of beer from the monastery every Friday after work in the break room.
Rigging was a hard job, look at the MOS qualifications. We worked to inspect every piece of equipment after each jump, repack it then issue it for the next jump. Then we were required to be at the marshaling area and on the DZ for DZSO duties. We also went on all training missions including TDYout of country.
Section chief was CWO Christman and Jerry Sage was Group CO, SMJ Piolette was Group SMJ. Line outfits were in Prinz Heinrich Kaserne.
Rigger names that I remember-McCoy,Charlie Mackay, Ron Andrieu, Miller (Moose), James Rogers,Jim Morris, Carl Lavender, Bob Lohman, Robert Lass, Dave Pennell, Dean Baker,Ken Walton, Gordon Avery, Baja, Jerry Brooks, Cooper, Bob Floden and Don Cain.
The Rigger shed was the old Panzer tank maintenance shop during the 3rd Reich when Flint Kaserne was the Junkerschule. It was located next to the base commissary.
The tunnel system under the Kaserne was one of my slightly off-limits activities, I loved to explore them.
portland.ken@gmail.com
I have returned there more than twenty-five tomes in the past 45 years.
Rigger22 is offline   Reply With Quote