View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 21:37   #7
bubba
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailaviborita View Post
Sorry to resurrect this from 2019- but while I was at SWCS a couple years ago this was a hot topic. The two views I heard:

1- Selection doesn't necessarily select for the right traits- it is probably too heavily reliant on the physical and not enough on the mental. The Q isn't where we train guys to be SF- it is just the basics, then they get to a team and really learn how to be SF. If we try to pick the right people perfectly- we'll never get it right and probably just screw it up--- and if we try to train SF guys thoroughly in the Q they'll be at SWCS forever and/or we'll be constantly changing things.

2- we can't make any changes to Selection because it will be looked at as if we're making things easier for females and then there will be night letters and GOs getting retired... so can't have that. Same for the Q--- but we can change it and will.... because change looks like progress. And it had gotten out of hand in terms of length. Problem is... every change... creates delays in the pipeline and bottlenecks. But- THIS time we'll get it right...

Here's a question I never understood- one of the guys who did the most work out at MacKall to figure out Selection, gather data, and try to get at the intangibles- was allowed to stay to make LTC out there, then retired and works for the Indianapolis Colts now as their head of player development. No one has reached out to him... and one of his biggest takeaways was you can't just look at objective data... you have to do some other stuff and do some interviews... to get at the intangible and subjective. You have to figure out values. I'd argue we went the opposite way lately...
If only there were SOF organizations that had a particular mission that “Selected” people based on a “Mission Set” that was considered “No-Fail”. Maybe, just maybe, the “bosses” could “interview” each “candidate” after they were worn down to raw nerves to see just what kind of Man the “candidate” was. Then, after that “Selection”, the “Candidate” would return for “Extensive Training” on that particular “No-Fail-Mission”, and if that “Candidate” should happen to “Fail”, they would be “Released for failing to meet Standards”…..

See, UW is treated as a “ho-hum, maybe it’ll work, maybe it won’t” instead of “If you get kicked out of the G-Base, the Taliban will defeat the Northern Alliance”…. Yeah, that almost happened more than once….. But hey, Failure apparently IS an option today….

I’m glad I am retiring…..
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote