View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 15:05   #7
Desert Fox
Guerrilla
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New Brunswick Canada
Posts: 181
Hi Amato,

Personally, I greatly improved my Land Nav skills simply by practicing almost every weekends. It just takes maybe 5 hours, its fun, and very useful. At first I practiced without any rucksack, so I can focus and learn more. I also did night navigation. At night, I found that the hardest thing was to stick with your plan and trust your ''instruments''(pace and orientation).
Whenever I see a map, I do some mental ''war games'' and plan some routes (what if....).
Also, know your limitations.
Keep a log book and note what you have learned, right after you come back from the woods. you can also place a GPS in your pocket, so at the end you can see how accurate you were.


my .02

Olivier
__________________
True fitness is task-oriented.
Desert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote