View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 14:03   #16
bblhead672
Area Commander
 
bblhead672's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Don’t buy into our own propaganda. We are no better or worse than any other powerful country that has ever existed. No one is “good” or “evil”; we do things because it it’s a rough world out there and we look after our own interests, and do what’s best for the United States. That anyone believes we are somehow morally better, and we have a RIGHT to do all the stuff we do because we’re “the good guys” just shows you the effectiveness of our indoctrination as citizens. That’s ok. It’s way better to win than to lose. But if you want to know why a lot of countries despise the US government, re-read what I wrote and realize that, while a little flippant, it’s all true. We have no real moral high ground in international relations. We didn’t do any of what we’ve done because it was “the right thing to do”, we did it because we thought it benefited us. When other countries behave the same way we do in any capacity, we freak out. Just think about it critically with the blinders off, you might just see the world in a whole new way.
Scooter: A few years ago I would have strongly disagreed with your take on American history. My blinders came off (somewhat painfully) and I gained the insight to see that the picture is not always as you imagined it was painted.

Rhetoric is great coming from politicians who merely have to confuse the masses enough to get their votes. Not so great when the rhetoric is peeled back to reveal truth.

The last few years I get strange looks when I say I can't blame the Muslims for hating the "Great Satan" as our society tolerates, promotes and celebrates many things that their religion abhors. That acknowledgement though doesn't imply that the radical Islamists methods are in any way acceptable to me or to a (somewhat) civil and modern world.

Some days I feel our country would be a better place if we kept our noses out of other people's business.

Thanks for your insightful and though provoking post.
__________________
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote