View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39   #14
Beef
Quiet Professional
 
Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Deep South
Posts: 936
The thing that is irritating and disturbing to me are the efforts to by some in the country to nullify any positive achievements by historical figures who were slaveowners. This applies to many people who are directly responsible for the founding of this country and the writing of its Constitution. Notably, Washington and Jefferson. You absolutely must view such things in the context of the times. History happened. You can only revise it so much. I can completely understand black children not wanting to attend a school named for NBF. I cannot understand the city of Memphis making efforts to have NBF and his wife disinterred from Forrest Park and the park renamed. History happened. You can't scrub the nation of its past and yet invoke "250 years of slavery and oppression" for political purposes when convenient. In full disclosure, I am the direct descendant of a couple of slaveowners and feel no guilt or shame. I can also say that my top five presidents are Washington, Jefferson, LINCOLN (for preserving the Union) Kennedy and Reagan. And when I am not flying a Pineland, 15 Star Spangled Banner, SF or USMC flag on my porch, I fly the 1st Ark. Inf., 21st and 37t Miss. Inf. The unit flags of ancestors whose valor in battle I much admire and revere.
__________________
Special Forces Assn. D-3400-Life
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote