View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 19:50   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I think that it is likely the school was named after him as a gesture of defiance by racists during the civil rights era. I would not attempt to justify it.

I do not believe that he is the Great Satan he is made out to be, but I do not believe that we should be naming high schools after him either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I agree that the school should not be named for General Forrest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I thought we were discussing Nathan Bedford Forrest, and whether a High School should be named for him.
Sorry, I must be missing something here. Which of these statements are you not agreeing with?

Or are you maintaining that the school should be named after him?

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote