|
Quiet Professional
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,836
|
I think you have to look at the man in the context of his times. There are a significant number of former U.S. Presidents who were slave holders, or whom conducted themselves in a manner that would be rejected today.
General Forrest was a polarizing character, no doubt.
Rising from his enlistment as a private, he attained the rank of Lieutenant General in four years and was one of the few general officers to take active part in his military operations. He was extremely courageous and killed several men in close combat.
At the end of the war, General Forrest counseled his men to return home and be good Americans.
In the Reconstruction era, there were many men of evil intent from both sides roaming the former Confederate states, and taking advantage of citizens was a way of life. Numerous societies and organizations were founded to protect the populace, and to take advantage of them.
The Klan was originally formed as a veterans organization, and that was when General Forrest joined. As they began to adopt violence and condone extremist views, he is said to have disbanded the organization in 1869.
In 1875, he was invited to speak to a group of black citizens backing racial reconciliation, where he stated:
"Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. ( Immense applause and laughter.) This day is a day that is proud to me, having occupied the position that I did for the past twelve years, and been misunderstood by your race. This is the first opportunity I have had during that time to say that I am your friend. I am here a representative of the southern people, one more slandered and maligned than any man in the nation. I will say to you and to the colored race that men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt - that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man- to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, that you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Use your best judgement in selecting men for office and vote as you think right. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. I have been in the heat of battle when colored men, asked me to protect them. I have placed myself between them and the bullets of my men, and told them they should be kept unharmed. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)
I would grant that LTG Forrest, while a military hero, is a controversial figure. I think that it is likely the school was named after him as a gesture of defiance by racists during the civil rights era. I would not attempt to justify it.
Having said that, I do think that General Forrest has been the victim of a campaign to tarnish his military reputation. I believe that it is important to examine LTG Forrest's words and deeds in the context of the time and mores of the culture he lived in. In such context, I do not believe that he is the Great Satan he is made out to be, but I do not believe that we should be naming high schools after him either.
Shelby Foote said that he felt Forrest and Sherman were the two greatest military leaders to come from the Civil War. I think he was at least half right.
TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910
De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
|