|
I will refer to my earlier post about our incredible ability to cure cancer in mice that rarely translates into successful human treatment strategies.
Having said that, Dr. Tuohy's concept of a vaccine against a protein only present during lactation is a novel and interesting idea. Given the amount of funds going to breast cancer and prostate cancer research/medical care, I'm surprised they haven't bit on this trial. Of course, I've not had the chance to see all of the data or the grant proposals, so there may be concerns about the science and/or its safety in/applicability to human trials. One safety concern would be significant side effects/toxicity in the case of pregnancy (unintentional or otherwise) after vaccination.
__________________
"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
|