View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 12:19   #10
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Trip_Wire (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pacific NW - Puget Sound
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdret1 View Post
I think it is a great idea for departments that have two man units as long as they maintain a high level of training. We only have single man units. We are allowed to carry an AR in the car. Officers who do this have to go through a patrol rifle class and qualify with it semi-annually. The good thing about it is the PD, SO and HP around here are really good about backing each other up on traffic stops.
Most Departments (To include the one I'm Retired from) here in Washington State only have one Officer units. Most departments allow Officers to have approved carbines/rifles if they get qualified with them. Most departments also have 870 Remington 12 GA shotguns in a rack in the driver area.

So, traffic stops here are not handled like Memphis does. When I was on Patrol, I used to carry a S&W 442 .38 in my jacket pocket and had my hand on it when I approached the driver on traffic stops or entering a Domestic Dispute call.
__________________
De Oppresso Liber - RLTW

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote