View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 12:58   #123
alright4u
Quiet Professional
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 974
Smile RE: SOG Service

The man who stated we had no one zero school in 68 is also accurate for Omega and even early CCS until about March or April of 69. Frankly, when I came back to CCS from the northern launch site at Duc Co about 10-12 Apr 69 for the 3 shop, no one told me we had a recon school that consisted of running local OPS. I would think the asst S-3 should know that, especially when the two asst S-3's were told to send HF's in to exploit targets or bail out a team in trouble. Perhaps, they thought I knew?

Anyway, I was on the staff for the first 56 days, then had 2nd company Omega for about six months, then went to the northern launch site to take Frank Lambert's job at his request, plus a few others, and; I spent all of a whopping14 days in the 3 shop before being medivaced. I am proud that we never lost a recon man when I was with the FAC and during my time up north from Duc Lap to Duc Co. It was not my job to question a 10 on the ground, as one cannot judge a firefight from an O-2. The man on the ground is always the one, who knows his situation best. Having two teams in contact at once stretched the air assets and the 20th SOS got them out after we figured out which team to support/ pull first and how to get gunships to get to the other team ASAP. I saw pilots fly a team back to Duc Co with a bullet through their shoulder, plus a number of shot up birds.

I look back at the recon men we had in mid 68 to early 69, and; most 10's were senior NCO's with at least two tours. We had our own legends in Omega like FOB2 and CCN had.

After the 24 April 69 HF OP into COSVN and even before, we knew the OPS down south west of the fishook were tough.

Basically, I like to keep in touch with the men from Omega/CCS, plus some of the other C&C men I know from the Kontum and DaNang HQ's and those I served with later. I have met a number of CCN recon men whom I consider friends. We put a few CCN teams in from our northern and southern launch sites in 68- early 69.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote