Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 09:59   #298
x SF med
Quiet Professional
 
x SF med's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In transit somewhere
Posts: 4,044
Escape Pods in diesel

TR-
Not to beat this to death - diesel vehicles (currently the only really affordable ones are VWs right now) are great for escaping. I drive a VW Golf TDi - 90 hp with 165 ftlb low end torque - don't laugh at the horsepower, the car moves, and will crawl itself out of most situations in low gears and steady 'go pedal' pressure. How many others out there get 44 mpg @ 80 mph fully loaded in an automatic? At 'normal' driving speeds I've gotten up to 49.5 mpg. I consistently drive from NJ to NC on one tank of fuel, and can toss in heating fuel, biodiesel, or, if it's warm out, vegetable oil (if you have a saponification kit, you can make your own biodiesel). Low maintenance - oil and filter changes every 10k, fuel filter every 20-30k, air filter at 40k, no tune ups, timing belt/ water pump change at 80k, upgrade to 120k timing belt at first change. This is my rolling sail locker - so most of my gear is in the car - foulies, knives, tools, sleeping bag, clothes, extra shoes and boots.... 95 % of the maintenance can be done with a short list of tools too.

If you want the shizzle for an SUV - the V10 Taureg TDi 4wd is your vehicle. 350 Hp, 550 ftlbs of torque - you can tow an Abrams with this beast. Alas, it only gets about 28 mpg hwy. at about $68K it ain't for the financially faint hearted - but it's sister ship is the Porshe Cayenne (same vehicle!!!) which strts at $80k for the 2wd version with a 6 cyl gas engine.

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled preparedness programming... this was not paid for by VW, but should have been.
__________________
In the business of war, there is no invariable stategic advantage (shih) which can be relied upon at all times.
Sun-Tzu, "The Art of Warfare"

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote