![]() |
SOF Warrant
Sibilant Ghost (Is that a ghost with a lisp? Thaths thcary! :) ),
What do you mean by looking at becoming a SOF warrant? Do you mean an SF warrant, or a flight warrant serving in the 160th SOAR? |
SOF Warrant
Well, my intention is to become a Special Forces Warrant Officer. It's going to be a long journey for me. I love CTT and the times I actually get to soldier (typically only on Thursdays), I'm just not very good at it yet. I'm kind of small, and pretty weak, but to be mediocre is to not exist. I can hear it calling me. I am starting to pick up on the MO of SF guys on my post, and can pick them out of the crowd sometimes (they never wear uniforms here). And my desire to be a warrant stems from the fact an SF commander only operates on the team for 3-6 years (from what I have been told) but the time a warrant gets to stay on is considerably longer (and one can also add the time I would spend on as an NCO).
For the most part, I would like o be an actiive participant on the site, I may ask the occasional question about things which I cannot research (what's the best backpack to use, ect). Thank you for your time and the creation of this glorious dedication to the Special Operations Warriors, ~Sibilant~ |
Quote:
TR |
SoF NCO
I thought long and hard about that question and decided there is little way to answer outside of putting my foot in my mouth or digging a very deep hole for myself. All I can really say is, it had always been part of my plan to become a warrant. I hadn't considered any other course of action.
|
You will still be required to become a Special Forces NCO first, that’s if you survive the Special Forces Assessment and Selection.
"I'm kind of small, and pretty weak, but to be mediocre is to not exist." If I were you I'd work real hard on the "pretty weak" part. (If that’s what you think of yourself at the moment you may want to explore more career options the US military has to offer.) If you do not possess the physical and mental toughness to stand toe to toe with some of the worlds most ruthless killers and send them to their makers then SF is not for you. Team Sergeant |
Quote:
Frankly, from your self-description, I tend to agree with the Team Sergeant. Deciding you want to be a 180A before you begin the process of becoming an SF soldier is like deciding you want to be President before running for the Town Council. Good luck. You are going to need it. TR |
SF Warrant
Well, then I shall endeavor to be stronger faster and smarter than the enemy, and shall be lurking and learning. Thank you for the attention today, I appreciate your counsel. Have a good one.. ~Sibilant~
|
Sibilant_Ghost
Do an internet search and look up Audie Murphy. He was a small guy that did pretty well for himself in WW2. Doc |
Audie Murphy
I know a little about him.. I worked in the national Infantry Museum in Benning while at HHC 507th for about a month.. Now, that's a legend to live up to, though I'm not sure I would want to become commissioned..
|
Quote:
Quote:
|
Getting Commissioned
I'm not sure I would desire to be commissioned, because I hear they only get a few years on a team before they make Major and are pushed over to admin work.
The new base historian here is a retired Army SF Major.. retired in 92 or 95, I think. I have had several opportunities to speak with him. His name sounds fabricated, I coudn't be sure though, and I'm not sure if they do that after retirement for security purposes. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
James Bond. TR |
Commission
But, I also know of an SF SFC who was 30 years old who recieved a waiver to go to OCS attended, graduated honor graduate in all 5 catagories. But during the Job training phase they threw him out to an admin position until the class graduated and gave him a 1LT Bar.. then shortly following his return he was promoted to Captain and turned back over to a team, so that would be a possible means to get both a commission and spend a good amount of time on a team.
And, as to the reference to my own weakness, my PT score is a 253, not nearly as high as I want it to be, but I have another 4 years in this contract to work on that. I am mostly lean muscle mass and I'm not sure if I should bulk up or if it would be a hinderance. |
I beg my leave of you for a time.
Leaving for an 8 day CLFX . Talk to y'all later.
|
| All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24. |
Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®