Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons Discussion Area (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Shivworks Fighting Handgun Volume 1 (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5970)

NousDefionsDoc 03-07-2005 09:31

Shivworks Fighting Handgun Volume 1
 
The following is strictly the opinion of the author. It does not reflect the opinions nor imply the endorsement of ProfessionalSoldiers.com nor any of its members. The bandwidth issues and tax implications associated with this content have not been evaluated.

I am a firm believer that new shooters need personal professional instruction from a competent SME when starting out. There is really no other way to start in my opinion. Having said that, video instruction can be a good adjunct to courses. They can be used as virtual notes, reminders, etc.

There are some good ones out there. Kelly McCann's series is one of my favorites. And now there is a new one by Shivworks. Fighting Handgun Volume 1 (FHV1) in my opinion, is geared towards the novice shooter. SouthNarc covers the basics in detail, draw to retention. He also explains the "whys" as well as the "hows".

If you are a novice shooter looking for the basics or an experienced shooter looking for other ways to do it - take a look at FHV1 by Shivworks.

vsvo 03-07-2005 09:42

Thanks NDD!

- From a very novice shooter

Razor 03-07-2005 11:48

I concur with NDD. The only thing I'd add is that 'novice shooter' here means you already understand the fundamentals (grip, sight picture, trigger control, etc) and can correctly identify 3 out of 4 times the end of the weapon from which the bullet emerges. FHG does not address the fundamentals; rather, it concentrates on the drawstroke, firing from retention, the 'protected' retention position, and firing while grappling.

vsvo 03-07-2005 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor
...can correctly identify 3 out of 4 times the end of the weapon from which the bullet emerges.

LOL. Thanks for the clarification Razor. Based on your comments, I'm not ready for this yet, since I'm still working on the fundamentals. Plus, even though I qualify to apply for a CCW, carrying is a long ways off for me, with additional instruction and training needed before I'll even think about it.

Roguish Lawyer 03-07-2005 12:21

So, if you try to load a magazine with the bullets facing the wrong direction, does that make you a novice? :munchin

NousDefionsDoc 03-08-2005 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
So, if you try to load a magazine with the bullets facing the wrong direction, does that make you a novice? :munchin

No, it makes you a dumbass. ;)

Smokin Joe 06-16-2005 03:23

Just got the DVD.

Good stuff. I'm going to his class in October. Anyone want to join me?

LEO's, you should check the DVD out, it beats the hell out of the "Rock and Lock" technique.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®