Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Base Camp (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Green Beret: Schreckfigur for the New Age (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5373)

scubasam 01-26-2005 13:14

The Green Beret: Schreckfigur for the New Age
 
This seemed like an interesting read to me. Having had Farrell as a professor, I must say he is one of the most respected men at VMI. But wanted to get the reaction from some of the old timers who were over there during that time.

http://lists.village.virginia.edu/si...reckfigur.html

Sorry, couldn't past it all.. too long

Solid 01-26-2005 15:27

That was an interesting read... I too would really appreciate a QP's interpretation of what is said.

Thank you,

Solid

NousDefionsDoc 01-26-2005 17:47

I don't care for it. But he earned the right.

The Reaper 01-26-2005 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I don't care for it. But he earned the right.


Same here.

If I was there, I would have stood up for SF, and would not have dragged all of that peripheral negative baggage into the article.

TR

CPTAUSRET 01-26-2005 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper
Same here.

If I was there, I would have stood up for SF, and would not have dragged all of that peripheral negative baggage into the article.

TR

Roger, where was his mindset??

To bring up Col Rheault after all these years. And I don't like the verbiage he used to make his points.

SP5IC 01-26-2005 19:09

BG Farrell
 
Alan is a close friend of mine. He is an E-9 (ret) NG or ER type with SF Vietnam experience. He was also dean of the faculty at VMI and accorded the rank of BG in the Virginia Militia. At my son's commissioning in May of 03, Alan wore his SMG uniform rather than his BG blues. He told me..."I get a real silver dollar from every 2LT who has to salute me first." The cadets loved him. What you are reading was something reminiscent of his days at Hampden-Sydney when he was on the faculty. I don't see anything wrong with it, but then I am only The SP5IC. He wrote a more poignant piece in my professional rag chiding the faculty at VMI (who were up in arms about G. Gordon Liddy coming as the commencement speaker) by saying, you folks are soooooooooo '60ish, you had four years to make your mark on these lads, and now you have to let them have their way. I really like Alan, he has Ph.D.s in French & English. He went to Tufts. He has a CIB.

brownapple 01-27-2005 08:41

I think he did defend Special Forces. Subtlely and effectively.

scubasam 01-27-2005 09:21

Reaper,

When I read it I thought his bringing up the negative baggage made it more.. umm.. powerful?.. Showing that he knew the "othersides" point of view, but didn't agree with it. Like he knows all the positive and negative for both sides of the arguement, but still stands by his experience "with" that knowledge.

Does that make any sense?

P.S. SP5IC... I was class of '02, probably know your son. Also, still keep in touch with BG Farrell via email.

Solid 01-27-2005 13:22

I agree. In many ways, I think the way he captured his argument was (this will sound strange) very SF: he attempted to understand the counterpoints, addressed them, and in doing so created an intellectual and effective argument. I also quite liked his 'voice' throughout the piece.

Solid

DoctorDoom 02-04-2005 08:47

x

scubasam 02-04-2005 12:43

DR Doom..

Great analysis.. That actually cleared some stuff up for me. That's one thing about BG Farrell, he is very subtle about some of his points, so the more you know the more you can understand it.

Peregrino 07-20-2005 20:47

And the pachyderm danced. :munchin Peregrino

Interesting read - didn't realize how old this thread was when I saw somebody checking it out.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:59.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®