Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Library (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Latin American Politics and Development (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535)

Sacamuelas 02-11-2004 19:50

Latin American Politics and Development
 
Latin American Politics and Development

Just came across this book by Howard J. Wiarda and Harvey F. Kline. It was in my wife's bookshelf from her poly-sci college days. Any thoughts as to its accuracy before I spend time to read it?

Looking for a general reference so that I can begin to comment on these LATAM threads more professionally.

Jimbo 02-11-2004 20:13

Harvey Kline knows his stuff. He wrote another book that I think is pretty good.

Sacamuelas 02-11-2004 21:13

Thanks Jimbo. I googled him and saw several books he has written that focus on Colombia. I figured NDD would have read his work as well. I am going to tackle this book first as my wife respected him as a professor at the Univ. of Alabama. Just wanted to make sure he is an acceptable source.

NousDefionsDoc 02-11-2004 21:42

I haven't read him, although that one is on my list. It takes me a major military operations to get books here.

Roguish Lawyer 02-12-2004 12:00

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
It takes me a major military operations to get books here.
Amazon won't ship there? That's ironic!

Skip the geography lesson -- that was funny. :D

Let me know if I can help with this problem of yours.

NousDefionsDoc 02-12-2004 12:06

No, they'll ship, but shipping costs more than the books and the locals steal them in the mail. I get a couple of friends to bring them down two or three times a year and My Moms has my amazon wish list for when she comes. Thanks for the offer.

Camilo 02-26-2004 17:05

You should read Jorge Castaneda's 'Utopia Unarmed.' It discusses the left within the Latin American context. Castaneda used to be the Secretary of Foreign Relations in Mexico, the Mexican counterpart of the Secretary of State. More specifically, his biography of Ernesto Guevara is excellent, as it places him within a historical frame and is more critical and analytical than most 'Che' biographies or hagiographies.

NousDefionsDoc 02-26-2004 17:52

The biography of Che is indeed excellent.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:01.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®