![]() |
Two good books
"In the Shadow of the Prophet" Milton Viorst
"Al-Qaeda: Casting a shadow of Terror" Jason Burke If any of y'all have read any of these, I am interested in your thoughts. For those that have not, I believe they both would be an insightful read. I like Jason Burke's book because it contradicts the belief of Al-Qaeda being a network of networks. It gives a new outlook on AQ. Different who, why, and how questons and answers. In this book, Burke portrays AQ rather as a service to Islamic militants. An investor in Terr. activities. A function, not an entity. Some main points 1) OBL main mission is to instigate (He is completing this mission, since 9/11 many more groups have taken the "initiative" 2) Only a small fraction of camps in afghanistan where "bin Laden" camps. Most consisted of HUM and other Pakistani supported 3) OBL and Yousef not linked 4) Misconception of AL- Qaeda *** Viorst's book is good because it answers some of the questions of how/why militancy exists. Covers the muslim fundamentalist view of secularism being intolerable and a force to be fought against. Answers why militants seek to go backwards in time to the restablishment of the Caliphate. Main Points 1) Modernisms-orthodoxy-fundamentalism 2) Stagnation of Islamic states/society/progress 3) Innovation is bid'a (bad) 4) Imperfections of ruling 5) democracy-defiance of god's authority 6) Soviet Union bring fundamentalism to power 7) Islam cannot compromise/ fresh interp. of Quran Harmful I am writing a 35 page paper on AQ. I will most deffinately use these books as sources. regards berdan |
I'm reading Burke's book now too.
It certainly advances a new angle of thinking about AQ, not from a coherent organization with defined hierarchy, but as a fluid network of mutually aiding (albeit competitive) groups. It aims to explain the origin of these groups'miscontent towards the US and the West. Good book overall. |
| All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:26. |
Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®