Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Edged Weapons (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Looking for an anniversary present (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40764)

33army 01-28-2013 19:14

Looking for an anniversary present
 
Gentlemen and knife gurus,

I have a conundrum on my hands. I am currently on a search for an edged tool for my wife who recently deployed with 525 BfSB to a wonderful little FOB in SE Afghanistan. This particular FOB has a group of Romanians who have a reputation for being somewhat forceful towards the female population. While my wife is a damn good shot with her M-4, I would like to acquire a personal protection device, rapidly I might add, that she can carry at all times that does not require pointing and shooting. Any recommendations would be awesome. Price max is $150.

33

Dusty 01-28-2013 19:33

Romanians? Garlic and a wooden stake.

33army 01-28-2013 19:38

Wrong Romanians. Plus I already told her that and she was not amused. Apparently they already smell like garlic.

Dusty 01-28-2013 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33army (Post 485992)
Wrong Romanians. Plus I already told her that and she was not amused. Apparently they already smell like garlic.

lol Fixed or folder? Time frame?

33army 01-28-2013 20:00

She and I would both prefer fixed. I'm hoping to send it out NLT 15 Feb. Currently looking at the Spartan Enyo, Mr Urbanovsky's Mini Dashi, Spyderco Native.

Dusty 01-28-2013 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33army (Post 486001)
She and I would both prefer fixed. I'm hoping to send it out NLT 15 Feb. Currently looking at the Spartan Enyo, Mr Urbanovsky's Mini Dashi, Spyderco Native.

I can vouch for the Native. 'Course it's a folder, but it's handy.

The Reaper 01-28-2013 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty (Post 486003)
I can vouch for the Native. 'Course it's a folder, but it's handy.

Seconded.

And a Mike Janich video to go with it.

TR

chisumr 01-28-2013 21:59

I agree with the Spyderco Native.

swatsurgeon 01-29-2013 12:08

the Native took care of 2 attacking pitbulls for me...I believe it would work.

ss

Dusty 01-29-2013 12:12

That's right!

I'd rather go up against 5 Romanians than one pit bull. ;)

DIYPatriot 01-29-2013 12:33

The Native's Deployment Speed
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swatsurgeon (Post 486206)
the Native took care of 2 attacking pitbulls for me...I believe it would work.

ss


I remember that thread. The only folder I ever carried was a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur and it has an assisted opening feature that engages the blade quickly. When you had to deploy and defend, did you have any hang-up's or issues deploying the blade?

I'm guessing it opens rather quickly because you made it out of that situation and came out on top. I'm just wondering about the time and motor skills needed to get from Point A to Point C if his wife was in a violent struggle with someone that could overpower her.

Dusty 01-29-2013 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIYPatriot (Post 486216)
I remember that thread. The only folder I ever carried was a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur and it has an assisted opening feature that engages the blade quickly. When you had to deploy and defend, did you have any hang-up's or issues deploying the blade?

I'm guessing it opens rather quickly because you made it out of that situation and came out on top. I'm just wondering about the time and motor skills needed to get from Point A to Point C if his wife was in a violent struggle with someone that could overpower her.

Practice. 100 times a day, every day.

DIYPatriot 01-29-2013 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty (Post 486220)
Practice. 100 times a day, every day.

Very good point, Dusty. I'm not sure of his wife's background, but mine has trained in Kali and Silat for a number of years. She still prefers a fixed blade for every day carry so that fumbling with opening it is one less thing to think about should the time ever arise to deploy it.

As for me? I like things that go BANG :D

swatsurgeon 01-29-2013 13:29

Repetitive task transfer (muscle memory): when you develop unconscious competence, you never ask that question. Remember the 4 stages of learning

1. unconscious incompetence: no clue what you don't know: oblivious/unaware
2. conscious incompetence: aware that you don't know something, heightened awareness, very uncomfortable 'feeling'
3. conscious competence: you think through it, understanding the steps needed to accomplish a goal; have to think about each indiviual step, time consuming and must be focused on each step
4. unconscious competence: do it 'without thinking', happens smoothly to progress through the steps/parts of an issue.

Our goal is to "master" the steps in performance of tasks that can become that high a level. i.e., deploying a weapon, walking and chewing gum....it lets you then concentrate on the other more important aspects of the situation you are dealing with so you don't spend time and energy thinking about the parts you can do "without thinking"

simple philosophy, difficult mastery. I no longer 'think' about deploying a weapon...it just happens when the initiator is triggered (no pun intended)

ss

mark46th 01-29-2013 16:12

I bought my son a Pacific from Chris Reeves. It is the civilian version of the Ist SFG knife. It looks like a smaller version of our knife...

Although, the best knife guy I knew in group carried an X-acto knife in his belt. He could cut you 4 ways- Long, wide, deep and frequent.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:08.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®