Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Soapbox (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   There goes the filibuster (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23026)

Slantwire 04-28-2009 10:56

There goes the filibuster
 
Arlen Specter is going Democrat. That gives the Dems their 60 votes in the Senate to prevent any filibuster from opposition.

Source is Yahoo News.

Correction: Specter gives them 59. They will have 60 if Franken is seated.

jw74 04-28-2009 11:23

I never really thought of Specter as a republican. I dont know enough about the rules to know if its viable, but there should be a recall option for voters when their elected officials pull a bait and switch.

The Reaper 04-28-2009 11:25

Specter was a RINO.

Good riddance. Hope he loses when he runs again next year.

TR

jw74 04-28-2009 11:30

Ultimately, this is a blessing for the republican party, which will allow it to replace Specter-style republicans with actual conservatives. Anyone for a revival of term limit talk?

PSM 04-28-2009 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw74 (Post 262302)
I never really thought of Specter as a republican. I dont know enough about the rules to know if its viable, but there should be a recall option for voters when their elected officials pull a bait and switch.

At the very least, the RNC and individual donors should be able to sue to get their money back.

Pat

Surf n Turf 04-28-2009 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 262303)
Specter was a RINO.

Good riddance. Hope he loses when he runs again next year.

TR

Unless Specter changes his mind with “Card Check”, the Unions will run a strong Dem against him in the primary.
He could be out regardless – That would be a good thing :)

SnT

jw74 04-28-2009 13:11

what specter said on March 17th..
 
typical power seeker :rolleyes:

"I am staying a Republican because I think I have an important role, a more important role, to play there. The United States very desperately needs a two-party system. That's the basis of politics in America. I'm afraid we are becoming a one-party system, with Republicans becoming just a regional party with so little representation of the northeast or in the middle atlantic. I think as a governmental matter, it is very important to have a check and balance. That's a very important principle in the operation of our government. In the constitution on Separation of powers."

source (WITH VIDEO)
http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009...owed-a-switch/

afchic 04-28-2009 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw74 (Post 262305)
Ultimately, this is a blessing for the republican party, which will allow it to replace Specter-style republicans with actual conservatives. Anyone for a revival of term limit talk?

We have term limits in place, they are called elections. If the people he represents don't want him in, they will vote against him.

When WE THE PEOPLE start to realize that WE hold the power in our hands, and start acting as such, then this won't be a problem anymore. But if you expect Congress to act, to pass term limits, you will be waiting a long long time. It isn't in their best interest to do so, no matter what the populace says about the issue.

If you don't like who is representing you, vote the bastards out.

jw74 04-28-2009 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by afchic (Post 262328)
We have term limits in place, they are called elections. If the people he represents don't want him in, they will vote against him.

When WE THE PEOPLE start to realize that WE hold the power in our hands, and start acting as such, then this won't be a problem anymore. But if you expect Congress to act, to pass term limits, you will be waiting a long long time. It isn't in their best interest to do so, no matter what the populace says about the issue.

If you don't like who is representing you, vote the bastards out.

I agree that that is the ideal, but with the fundraising connections available to senators that have been in office for GENERATIONS, it is next to impossible for an upstart to challenge them for a party seat. This means that in order for a party to get rid of its incumbent, you would have to vote for the other party which could be a greater contradiction of your ideals. It seems clear to me that the founding fathers expected politics to be a part time job and not a career unto itself. I see nothing wrong with a populist campaign for term limits or salary caps for congressmen. Will it work? not immediately. Is it possible? In time and with steady pressure, YES.

swpa19 04-28-2009 13:52

Quote:

Specter was a RINO.

Good riddance. Hope he loses when he runs again next year.

T.R. you are absolutely correct, the other two prominent RINOs should follow his lead.



Quote:

If you don't like who is representing you, vote the bastards out.
WHY do you think he changed parties. Here in PA there was/is a grass roots movements to remove or dis-credit politicians of Arlen Sphincter's ilk. In no way did Sphincter stand a chance at re-election.

Im anxious to see Murtha's reactions to this news.

Ret10Echo 04-29-2009 11:08

"And I decided to try to bring back a second major party in Philadelphia, which I think is very badly needed. So I changed my registration. I haven't succeeded, Brian, but I'm still working on it."

-Sen. Arlen Specter, explaining his first party switch — from Democrat to Republican in 1965 — to C-SPAN's Brian Lamb in a 2001 episode of "Booknotes"


Slimeball Pol...

kgoerz 04-30-2009 05:04

I heard last night that the balance of power now rest in the hands of the Esteemed Al Franken:rolleyes:

ZonieDiver 04-30-2009 08:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kgoerz (Post 262624)
I heard last night that the balance of power now rest in the hands of the Esteemed Al Franken:rolleyes:

God help us!

KClapp 04-30-2009 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by afchic (Post 262328)
We have term limits in place, they are called elections. If the people he represents don't want him in, they will vote against him.

When WE THE PEOPLE start to realize that WE hold the power in our hands, and start acting as such, then this won't be a problem anymore. But if you expect Congress to act, to pass term limits, you will be waiting a long long time. It isn't in their best interest to do so, no matter what the populace says about the issue.

If you don't like who is representing you, vote the bastards out.

Those statements demonstrate an ignorance of how our system works. Elections are bought, sold, and stolen in this nation and to ignore that fact is pure naivete.

The statement about Congress not being willing to implement term limits demonstrates, in no uncertain terms, the true failure of this nation and it's civilian leadership.

afchic 04-30-2009 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by KClapp (Post 262690)
Those statements demonstrate an ignorance of how our system works. Elections are bought, sold, and stolen in this nation and to ignore that fact is pure naivete.

The statement about Congress not being willing to implement term limits demonstrates, in no uncertain terms, the true failure of this nation and it's civilian leadership.

Gee, all my time in legislative affairs working for a Combatant Commander must have been in my head. My Master's Degree in National Security Studies, must have come from an unaccredited university.

What you see as naivete, I see as a willingness, and hopefullness that the people of this country do not continue to sit by idly on their thumbs while the world falls apart around them.

By all means, since all politicians are bought and paid for, we should just continue on in our ignorant bliss and not do anything about it, because hell, it doesn't matter anyway does it?

I have met several Congressmen and Senators that somehow managed to make it to where they are at, not through money of others, but by their own accord. Granted they are in the minority, but that does not mean it is impossible.

I still hold firm that if we the people are fed up, vote the bastards out, and eventually they will get the drift. Term limits are OUR responsibility as citizens of this nation, not the people we vote into Congress. To suggest otherwise means we are no longer democratic republic, but something else all together. I am not willing to accept that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®