![]() |
Spyderco "Warrior" Refinement
5 Attachment(s)
Sorry about the confusion with this in the other thread, Sal has suggested that we have a separate thread for this model. I'll try to recap from the first thread.
This is a refinement to the original Echanis Warrior (H1 steel, double hilt, full tang construction with bi-directional textured FRN scales). We'd like to hear your input on how you would prefer to carry this knife. The knife itself is in its final stages of R&D, the next step is the sheath, it will be a hard sheath. Originally the focus was on a MOLLE vest attachment, but we've heard some feedback with a preference for other options for carry. What would be your preference and why? Thanks for looking. Kristi |
2 Attachment(s)
A few more images...
|
Wow! This knife design has always been one of my favorites. It looks slightly different from the first one I've seen. Will the blade be "bead blasted", or something similar, to mitigate too much reflection? And, I believe that the point is slightly different from the "original", right? When does it go to retail? It looks great?
|
The design was prompted by Guy Rafaeli. He's Israeli military and trains special Israeli units in Martial Blade craft. He wasn't satisfied with anything avilable on the market and created this design which is based on the original Echanis design.
It's actually quite different from the original design, smaller, dfferent type of teeth, scales on a full skeltonized tang, screwed on scales, etc. Many modifications to the design and many protoypes were made and went back and forth to Israel. The refinements added to the length of develoment time. Guy wanted H1 material because the jumpers often drop into water. He also wanted a thicker H1 material than was originally possible, so further steel development was dones as well. Since this is created for the proifessinal soldier and really does not have a non military market. We want to to know how you want to carry it. sal |
Sal, could you put up the OAL, blade length and grip thickness to help us get an idea of its size, as that could influence carry preferences?
|
Quote:
I would think that this knife, depending on the size and carry methods, etc. might generate interest in LE agencies, especially in tactical units (SWAT) and with many undercover LE people as well. I know, I would have been interested in this knife as an LE Officer. I always carried a fixed blade knife both on and off duty. Some consideration might be given to developing a close fitting Kydex sheath, with options for inside and outside the waist band carry. I'd prefer inside the waist band for concealment purpose. One must be able to draw the knife one handed with ease; however, be very secure. My reason for carrying a fixed blade for backup, is they never go 'click' or fail to do what is needed at the time. :) |
Quote:
Just looking at it against those blinds I would have to guess about 8-9 inches overall length. If that is the case I would prefer Molle type attachment, with possible option of mounting on a belt. Looks to be a very nice design. I have been in the market for a fixed blade and would definitely be interested in a subdued version. Any ideas on release date or price range? |
Sal/Kristi:
How close is this to Mike Echanis' original design, if I might ask? He was a helluva guy, especially with a knife or a stick. Nice piece. TR |
Quote:
It is similar in appearance and that's about where the similarity ends. I'll post specs for it in the morning. Kristi |
As promised here are the specs.
Overall Length: 10 5/8" (269mm) Cutting Edge Length: 5 5/32" & 2 3/4" (131 & 70mm) Blade Length: 5 1/16" (144mm) Blade Thickness: 5/32" (4mm) Overall Thickness: 13/16" (21mm) Weight: 8.125 oz (230g) Kristi |
Just wondering but what is the reasoning behind the up-turned blade. I can see how it creates a larger surface area for the point force aka stabbing; but wouldn't the same result be achieved with a similar tanto type point where the thicker center blade is a three edge angled to the point where the most force is applied in vigorous motions? I like the idea of the serrated area on the back of the blade but does this hinder the utilitarian uses of the knife such as splitting tinder etc when you need this area for applied pressure?
With that being said it looks like a nice piece of metal with a very sure grip. |
Quote:
|
More simply put; to make things that are alive and moving at you dead quickly.
|
Who made the original Echanis Warrior? Was it Al Mar or did they also make a version?
(photo borrowed from a for sale forum) |
Orko,
not sure who designed it first because it could of been either Bob Taylor or Randy Wanner or both. Michael Echanis had some input in the desgn too. I use to own two of those knives. Sadly they are gone now. First off, the knife is to be used in the "Reverse grip" method of holding knives. The inner edge will be where the serrerated edge ( I use "serrerated" very loosely here because it is not a true serreration) is used for ripping and/or scaling the victim. It makes a terrible wound on the victim when used like this. Secondly, it is not reccomended to be used in the forward grip. This knife is a slasher not a stabber. Too many thrusts into the body will create a stuck knife into bone and/or between bones, hence the great curvature of the blade. Thirdly, this IS NOT a survival knife, period, rather this is a "Fighting Knife" only! The original name for this knife is the Hobit Warrior IIRC. See here for more info: http://www.snipercountry.com/InRevie...bitWarrior.asp |
| All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:17. |
Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®