Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   KnuckleDraggers Test Area (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Fixed the forum button (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10950)

keith 05-26-2006 06:32

Fixed the forum button
 
2 Attachment(s)
I removed the dithering from the animated forum button. It was driving me nuts. :D

edit: uploaded the old one for camparison

Team Sergeant 05-26-2006 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith
I removed the dithering from the animated forum button. It was driving me nuts. :D

edit: uploaded the old one for camparison


Explain "dithering"?

Sten 05-26-2006 07:42

Full text: http://www.webstyleguide.com/graphics/dither.html

Quote:

Dithering

Full-color photographs may contain an almost infinite range of color values. Dithering is the most common means of reducing the color range of images down to the 256 (or fewer) colors seen in 8-bit GIF images.

Dithering is the process of juxtaposing pixels of two colors to create the illusion that a third color is present. A simple example is an image with only black and white in the color palette. By combining black and white pixels in complex patterns a graphics program like Adobe Photoshop can create the illusion of gray values:

Team Sergeant 05-26-2006 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sten



I asked Keith for a reason.....;)

Look at our button again...... Think hard. Appearances are not always as they seem........ :rolleyes:

Dan 05-26-2006 07:52

:munchin

Sten 05-26-2006 08:07

I should have learned code.

NousDefionsDoc 05-26-2006 11:22

keith,
It is hard to tell on the internet, but it sounds like you think you're clever. Don't be clever. You've been here a month and have 20 posts - we don't need you to "fix" anything.

Have a Very SF Day.

Ambush Master 05-26-2006 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
I asked Keith for a reason.....;)

Look at our button again...... Think hard. Appearances are not always as they seem........ :rolleyes:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Sten
I should have learned code.

Think about it some MORE Keith!!:munchin

keith 05-26-2006 12:38

If you look at the image closely you can see that the pixels aren't smooth on the current image. It's the result of color reduction to 256 colors... some methods make it look less smooth. This usually occurs automatically with the imaging software, so the author probably didn't even notice that it had happened. I noticed the pattern in the flash, if it has significance I can certainly make it do the three flashes. I was just trying to clean up the button itself.

I'm not trying to be witty, a showoff, or a know-it-all. I've been doing website designs for ever and I noticed this little detail. I was simply trying to show my appreciation by fixing it.

I certainly didn't intend to piss in so many people's lemonades.

edit: I looked more closely and it's more than 3 flashes. That's pretty cool, wish I knew how to read it. I can use the timing on the old image to reproduce that if you want... doesn't seem like anybody notices the difference though.

Ambush Master 05-28-2006 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith
edit: I looked more closely and it's more than 3 flashes. That's pretty cool, wish I knew how to read it. I can use the timing on the old image to reproduce that if you want... doesn't seem like anybody notices the difference though.


OK Sport, our Webmaster wears a funny looking Green HAT!! When you earn one, get back to us!! Thanks for the offer.

FYI: "SF" in IMC (International Morse Code) is: ... ..-.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:42.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®