Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Base Camp (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SF History (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027)

QRQ 30 03-19-2004 10:25

SF History
 
Folks: The post about Dick Meadows brings something to mind -- the true "Quiet Professionals". In Post-War Germany an act was put into effect, (I believe the Dulles Act) which allowed displaced persone (DPs) to enlist in the U.S. military in Europe and eventually receive their U.S. Citizenship. Many took advantage of this program, a version of the Foreign Legion. The Polish Brigade performed all of the duties in Germany that the Post Engineers do here. IIRC they also puled much of the Post Security.

Several, perhaps 100+, ended up in the 10th SFGA in Bad Toelz. Most of them represented a story of undergroujnd contacts, escape across the Iron Curtain and much more. Many changed their names since they had rewards on their heads. They were true professionals and many died in Vietnam before ever having a chance to live a life of freedom in the States. One I remember, Rosniuk, not only escaped across the Iron Curtain, but took a leave and walked back to the Ukrain to visit his mother and then returned. There was a former East German Soldier in my company who had literally shot his way across the border to freedom.

For years their stories couldn't be told. Perhaps now, with the fall of the Soviet Union they can. This would be a worthy project for any budding authors out there.

There is a lot of history out there which will be lost if people don't write it down. Though hardly a hero, that is the purpose of my Web Site. Some of the FOGS, VFOGS and VVFOGS need to stop being so modest and start recording their personal histories.

On another vein, we FOGS tend to think we were first. Not true!! We have predecessors all of the way back to the Revolutionary War. From what I have heard, today's SF soldiers are every bit as dedicated and professional as were the RVN era soldiers. They are now authorized to sit at a table and tell their stories and I would gladly sit with them and keep the drinks coming.

NousDefionsDoc 03-19-2004 10:38

If I'm not mistaken, that was the Lodge Act.

QRQ 30 03-19-2004 10:53

Thanks NDD.

Kyobanim 03-19-2004 12:01

Re: SF History
 
Quote:

Originally posted by QRQ 30


For years their stories couldn't be told. Perhaps now, with the fall of the Soviet Union they can. This would be a worthy project for any budding authors out there.

There is a lot of history out there which will be lost if people don't write it down. Though hardly a hero, that is the purpose of my Web Site. Some of the FOGS, VFOGS and VVFOGS need to stop being so modest and start recording their personal histories.

On another vein, we FOGS tend to think we were first. Not true!! We have predecessors all of the way back to the Revolutionary War. From what I have heard, today's SF soldiers are every bit as dedicated and professional as were the RVN era soldiers. They are now authorized to sit at a table and tell their stories and I would gladly sit with them and keep the drinks coming.

Too true.

I'd be more than happy to provide web space for blogging this project. I've always wanted to document the stories of the QPs but didn't have the resources to devote full time to the project or even know where to begin. I think I feel a project coming on.

Roguish Lawyer 03-19-2004 12:46

Why not do it here?

DunbarFC 03-19-2004 13:01

I'd be williing to help in any way needed

I surf the web for 90% of my day so I have the "free" time

Team Sergeant 03-19-2004 14:04

The Quiet Professionals here can and will support this in any way possible. Web pages are not an issue. And it seems we have some very smart people offering their talent. QRQ you ready to be the Team Leader again?

QRQ 30 03-19-2004 15:49

There is an awful lot involved. For the most part, the only ones who know the stories are the individuals themselves. I guess the first step would be to seek out sources like SFA and the 10rth SF G Association. Then we have to convince the individuals to tell their stories. Not only modesty but residual fear may come into play. I remember once whe Paul Etman was called by his original name by someone who recognized him from a previous life. Paul turned as white as a sheet. Once the stories are compiled we will have to get permission from the individual to use his story This could be a real ambitious venture and may be better left to someone with journalism/history/publishing know how. I would certainly be willing to help

Razor 03-19-2004 16:20

If I make the next SFA chapter meeting here, I'll talk to some of the guys and see if they'd be willing to tell their stories. We had a couple OM's at one time (I believe one has passed away, though :().

Kyobanim 03-19-2004 17:10

I will do whatever I can to assist. Someone give me a target.

Solid 03-19-2004 18:19

I have too little work right now, so if anyone needs any help I'm good to go when it comes to research assignments.

Solid

PS: Apparently, I can write-up stories or type-edit, too.

pulque 03-19-2004 19:13

I'm available for any tasks help needed. Can research, transcribe, edit.

Kyobanim 03-19-2004 19:44

Looks like all we need is a boss.

lrd 03-20-2004 05:47

Quote:

Originally posted by pulque
I'm available for any tasks help needed. Can research, transcribe, edit.
Ditto. I've worked on oral history projects and would love to help here.

QRQ 30 03-20-2004 10:10

Good Morning Folks. My intention in bringing up this thread was to perhaps goad a historian/author into producing a book. That was dreaming though I think someone like Robin Moore could find satisfactory material.

Perhaps a Web Site makes more sense. There would be a minimum of expense and more would perhaps "surf in" and see it and even then contribute.

This is a subject dear to my heart. I get sick and tired of hearing natural born (ain't ever done a thing to earn it) citizens talk of naturalized citizens as second class. Perhaps the premiss in the book/movie "Starship Troopers" will eventually come into play -- you must serve in order to earn your citizenship.. I love to ask who had the opportunity to choose his parents and place of birth. Only one I can think of.

From what I see, there is tremendous talent on this site for producing Web Sites, such as the B-52 site. What I propose is that I and a few try to collect points of contact and turn them over to volunteer "reporters" . They can then turn their material back to the editors who can edit and publish.

IMHO there is some history out there which will go to the grave if we can't goad people into telling their stories.

BTW: I just remembered the name of the Sgt I mentioned in the original post -- Roesch.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:58.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®