Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   10th Special Forces Group (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   7th Army NCO Academy... Flint (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10875)

lksteve 02-13-2007 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12B4S
Hohenfels. I was there. Thing is. I just have to remember why. Before I research my old paperwork and orders, I'm thinking it was a Flintlock exercise.

i'm thinking it was either demo or heavy weapons cross training...can't see doing FL at Hohenfels...but then again, for me FL was always a spring exercise, not a fall exercise...coulda been a fall FL in conjunction with Regorger that took you to Hohenfels...

mike-munich 02-14-2007 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lksteve
i'm thinking it was either demo or heavy weapons cross training...can't see doing FL at Hohenfels...but then again, for me FL was always a spring exercise, not a fall exercise...coulda been a fall FL in conjunction with Regorger that took you to Hohenfels...

I remember REFORGER being in Spring too. I think the last one was in April of 1993. Always big fun in Hohenfels....

lksteve 02-14-2007 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike-munich
I remember REFORGER being in Spring too. I think the last one was in April of 1993. .

FL was a fall exercise until 1976...then, beginning in '77 it went to the spring...Reforger was a fall exercise throughout my entire experience with it, 76-84...

mike-munich 02-15-2007 01:54

I hear you Sir. My experience starts in 1987...:cool:

12B4S 02-25-2007 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by lksteve

Havn't come across an old set of orders for FL lk. Did find a letter of commendation to the Team from a Colonel with the 1ST Infantry Division. We had been sent there to support thier Battalion ATT/ORT's at Hohenfels MTA, performing unconventional missions. This was in May '71.

I do remember being drenched for the better part of 8 days and that Delorenzo and I managed to really piss off some Captain with the Big Red 1. ;)

f50lrrp 10-31-2007 12:57

I attended the 7th Army NCO Academy in 1966. I remember the Autobahn and how we had to polish it every night with Lincoln (Never Kiwi) Boot polish and a piece of a G.I. blanket.

All of the chrome on all of the plumbing fixtures was rubbed off with emory cloth and the brass was Brasso'd every night, too.

General Omar Bradley visited Flint Kasserne while I was attending the NCO Academy and reminised about General Patton having his Headquarters at Flint Kasserne, before being relieved of command of the Third army.

We were all impressed seeing the old gentleman with his five stars on each ephillet (sp) until he decided to walk down the center of the autobahn on his way out of the Academy.

Four months later, I reenlisted for SF and ended up back at Flint Kasserne.

Mike

hannon4you 07-25-2008 21:53

7th Army NCO Academy . . . Flint

Graduated Spring 1965 - Polished same floors in same manner w/cotton balls.

Richard 07-26-2008 08:48

Guys,

We avoided it like the plague. Who wanted to spend an inordinate amount of time polishing the "Autobahn" (hallway) and then not being allowed to walk on it? :rolleyes: BS. For us, the secret was to stay committed to the field so that the teams who did less field training always had to send somebody to the school across the archway with their minature tank out in the corner of the quadrangle. :p

One of their claims to fame was that the Commandant, a CSM, had GEN Patton's desk from his time at Flint Kaserne. His son, MG Patton, tried to get it for his office when he commanded the 11th Armored Carnival Regiment but the 7th Army NCO Academy's Commandant wouldn't let him have it. Anybody know what eventually happened to that desk? :munchin

Richard - who wound up doing the 3rd Army/XVIII ABC NCO Academy.

Jazz 11-01-2008 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 218215)
One of their claims to fame was that the Commandant, a CSM, had GEN Patton's desk from his time at Flint Kaserne. His son, MG Patton, tried to get it for his office when he commanded the 11th Armored Carnival Regiment but the 7th Army NCO Academy's Commandant wouldn't let him have it. Anybody know what eventually happened to that desk?

I attended PLDC there in 2003. The desk was still being used by the Commandant.

orko 11-02-2008 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz (Post 233023)
I attended PLDC there in 2003. The desk was still being used by the Commandant.

What year did 7th NCOA move to Grafenwoehr? I attended PLDC in 06, 1-10 still sends support guys there.

Only heard about the desk, but the mini tank is still out there on a cement slab in front of the headquarters building

got a pic of it somewhere, has a star, and moonraker painted on it

Jazz 11-02-2008 16:47

"At its inception, the Academy occupied two adjoining Kasernes: Stetten Kaserne and Jensen Barracks located in Munich, Germany. On 31 October 1958, after nine years in the Bavarian capital, the Academy moved to its second location at Flint Kaserne, Bad Tolz, Germany. Effective 4 September 1990, the Seventh U.S. Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy relocated to and became a tenant unit of the Grafenwoehr Training Area. On 15 March 2005, the NCO Academy made its fourth move to its current location at Camp Normandy, Grafenwoehr."

http://www.hqjmtc.army.mil/instituti...oa-history.htm

12B4S 11-08-2008 02:53

I did manage to find one silver lining to being sent there. Beat the lights out and bed check once or twice a week and knew how to use the second and third lower levels to get to the NCO club. :D

Mitch 04-08-2009 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by QRQ 30 (Post 123507)
The corner I mentioned would have been to the left as you entered the quad.

Basically, the 7th Army was on the left and Group was on the right. The NCO club was in the far left corner and the EM club was in the far right. That wing straight ahead also had the American Express bank, mess halls, and PX, on various floors.

And that would put the swimming pool on the near right corner - based on the above orientation - right?

Not knowing my left from my right or my near from my far - got me in some "cold water" one night back in '74 and got me permanently banned from ever attending the 7th Army NCO Academy too - for those interested, I just posted that on a nother thread - probably should have been here (see link below)

By the way - my memory is playing tricks on me - was there, or was there not some kind of monumnet out in the middle of the Quad?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...889#post257889

greenberetTFS 04-09-2009 01:57

I attended the 11th ABN NCO Academy at Sheriden Kassern in the Spring at Augsburg. I graduated #3 in the class. I was promoted to Staff/Sgt (E5) Three stripes with a rocker, from a CPL(E4). There were no three stripe Sgts at that time in 1957. When I got back to the company they gave me orders for 7th Army NCO Academy in Munich and to report in 3 weeks. It was at the Stetten Kassern and Jensen Barracks Kassern. Didn't experience any thing like what you fellas did at Flint Kassern. However we had the "games played on us" by the cadre there also. Graduated #2 in my class. I had earned the EIB when I was with the 82th ABN and I think it helped during my inspections......................;)

GB TFS :munchin

Stras 04-09-2009 03:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch (Post 258638)
And that would put the swimming pool on the near right corner - based on the above orientation - right?

Not knowing my left from my right or my near from my far - got me in some "cold water" one night back in '74 and got me permanently banned from ever attending the 7th Army NCO Academy too - for those interested, I just posted that on a nother thread - probably should have been here (see link below)

By the way - my memory is playing tricks on me - was there, or was there not some kind of monumnet out in the middle of the Quad?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...889#post257889

There was a large rock at the base of the flagpole which we moved up to Panzer Kaserne in Boeblingen (would be nice if I could type in the umlauts..). Is this the memorial you're thinking of?

So, did you ever hear about the gold that was supposedly buried on Flint Kaserne?