Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Medical Pearls Of Wisdom (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   That's right baby, 12 inches cut, now what? (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54962)

cat in the hat 07-22-2020 12:03

That's right baby, 12 inches cut, now what?

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Been growing my hair since I retired and its FINALLY long enough to donate for a wig. Does anyone have a recommendation where to send it?

Maybe someone here has benefited from one of the many groups who make wigs for medical patients and can offer advice.

JJ_BPK 07-22-2020 12:55

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cat in the hat (Post 660904)

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to send it?

My wife had breast cancer and while going thru the surgery, chemo, radiation treatments, it was suggested she visit a local support group in Key West for a free wig. While we were I noticed references to real hair wigs. The wigs were made from donations. Over the next several years, I donated two 12inch ponytails, even though they were very salt/pepper shaded. They said that they match all colors and if they didn't have what was needed, the donation could be colored.

This was some 15yrs ago, but my g-daughter donated to Wigs for Kids in the name of her 10yo friend who died of brain cancer.

from google: Currently, the three biggest charities in the US that accept hair donations are Locks of Love, Wigs for Kids (Em & my donations), and Pantene Beautiful Lengths

PS: The girls on a hospital visit to cheer up the kids' chemo ward, the year before Matilda passed away.

PedOncoDoc 07-22-2020 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 660905)
from google: Currently, the three biggest charities in the US that accept hair donations are Locks of Love, Wigs for Kids (Em & my donations), and Pantene Beautiful Lengths

I'm familiar with locks of love and Wigs for Kids - both do good work. I'm not familiar with Pantene Beautiful Lengths, but looks like a philanthropic arm of a hair care company which should be GTG.

When scheduling to have it cut, let the salon know your intention to donate and see if they have a pre-existing relationship with a charity to accept the hair donation.

Gypsy 07-22-2020 17:24

My niece has been doing this for years. She has beautiful blonde locks. Locks for Love or as suggested check with a local salon.

PRB 07-22-2020 19:06

Hell, send it to me...my Davy Crocket fur hat is about wore out!

TJ11B 07-23-2020 07:23

Hair donation

Locks of Love would be my suggestion. My wife has donated to them several times in the past.

TOMAHAWK9521 07-23-2020 08:39

Locks of Love, Paul. You might recall my late wife, Heather's friends joined her and had their hair cut short and/or shaved when she had her hair cut before it fell out from her chemotherapy.

cat in the hat 07-23-2020 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 (Post 660928)
Locks of Love, Paul. You might recall my late wife, Heather's friends joined her and had their hair cut short and/or shaved when she had her hair cut before it fell out from her chemotherapy.

All I needed to hear.

She was a wonderful woman.
Just looked through a box of old pics and have some from your wedding.
Best cake cutting EVER!!!!!!!!

Badger52 07-23-2020 20:16

Locks of Love. #2 grand-daughter keeps growing hers out & sends these luxurious honey-colored things to them periodically.

TOMAHAWK9521 07-24-2020 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat in the hat (Post 660941)
All I needed to hear.

She was a wonderful woman.
Just looked through a box of old pics and have some from your wedding.
Best cake cutting EVER!!!!!!!!

Thanks! :D:lifter