Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fur (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Pack Rat! (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47007)

PSM 09-18-2014 14:34

Pack Rat!

I've been at war with a pack rat that has built a nest under our wood pile. I've lost every engagement so far. I don't know how big it is because my game cam wakes too slowly to catch it. So, last night I put out a large trap and a small trap. The damn rat ate the bait on the large one without tripping it and STOLE the small one. :mad:

Pat

PRB 09-18-2014 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 563123)
I've been at war with a pack rat that has built a nest under our wood pile. I've lost every engagement so far. I don't know how big it is because my game cam wakes too slowly to catch it. So, last night I put out a large trap and a small trap. The damn rat ate the bait on the large one without tripping it and STOLE the small one. :mad:

Pat

Yeah, they are bad this year. I've had them eat bait out of a hair trigger rat trap...how quick are they, there was one finger in the trap.
I sometimes (away from the house because of dogs/dead PR bodies) use a poison cube that is secured in a plastic box...locks shut with a hole large enough for PR's.
Works great but you don't want a poisoned PR in the yard for your dog I'm thinking.
I've a few nice car rewiring bills from the little bastards.
BTW, if you get rid of the PR get rid of the smell (urine/feces) as it attracts other PR's...I use undiluted pinesol spray...

PSM 09-18-2014 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRB (Post 563132)
Yeah, they are bad this year. I've had them eat bait out of a hair trigger rat trap...how quick are they, there was one finger in the trap.
I sometimes (away from the house because of dogs/dead PR bodies) use a poison cube that is secured in a plastic box...locks shut with a hole large enough for PR's.
Works great but you don't want a poisoned PR in the yard for your dog I'm thinking.
BTW, if you get rid of the PR get rid of the smell (urine/feces) as it attracts other PR's...I use undiluted pinesol spray...

I found the small trap under the wood rack. It tripped but no rat and no bait. I tossed several of the Tomcat blocks under the rack but they haven't worked yet. I'm going to put some more out tonight. Fortunately, the dog won't mess with dead things.

I've been checking the vehicles and they are clear so far.

Thanks for the Pinesol tip!

Pat

The Reaper 09-18-2014 18:52

Don't handle the carcasses with your bare hands.

TR

PSM 09-18-2014 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 563152)
Don't handle the carcasses with your bare hands.

TR

Haven't gotten that far yet. :D

Pat

mark46th 09-20-2014 15:40

1 Attachment(s)
I'd spray the area with an insecticde, too. Triatoma(Kissing or assassin bugs) live in pack rat nests. In Mexico and Central America, the bite from these bugs can carry Chaga's disease, which causes a heart infection. The only cases I have heard of up here were in Texas.

Lan 09-20-2014 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRB (Post 563132)

Happened to us once. We got an outdoor cat at the shelter and the only rats we see now are dead ones. Properly placed glue traps work well too.

PSM 09-20-2014 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 563334)
I'd spray the area with an insecticde, too. Triatoma(Kissing or assassin bugs) live in pack rat nests. In Mexico and Central America, the bite from these bugs can carry Chaga's disease, which causes a heart infection. The only cases I have heard of up here were in Texas.

I remember those dudes from living in Texas and Oklahoma. Haven't seen any out here, though. Didn't know that they bit humans, either. Fortunately, we live in a migratory bird lane and have very little trouble with bugs. Plus, the nighthawks and bats are very efficient in the evening and at night. We also have tons of lizards, some about 9" long.

Pat

PSM 09-23-2014 10:57

Got one! Had to go to the big guns. With this heavy duty trap they have to put their head through the trigger to get to the bait. Snapped a little after midnight.

Pat

PRB 09-23-2014 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lan (Post 563343)
Happened to us once. We got an outdoor cat at the shelter and the only rats we see now are dead ones. Properly placed glue traps work well too.

I'd do that but outdoor/barn cats don't survive here....coyotes or horned owls will get them....my neighbor went thru 3 from the pound in 6 weeks, gave up.

Ambush Master 09-23-2014 16:43

Also, Peppermint Oil will repel ALL rodents!! Put some on a Cotton Ball and put it where you don't want them to go (several under the hood and around ubder the vehicle)!!

PRB 09-23-2014 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambush Master (Post 563574)
Also, Peppermint Oil will repel ALL rodents!! Put some on a Cotton Ball and put it where you don't want them to go (several under the hood and around ubder the vehicle)!!

Shit, I'll try anything......