Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mindset (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Quote of the Day (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29046)

Snaquebite 05-25-2010 22:40

Quote of the Day

Feel free to contribute, remember the main topic of this thread.

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it!
Ella WIlliams

The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be.
William James

Richard 05-25-2010 23:45

In my view, far from deserving condemnation for their courageous reporting, the New York Times, the Washington Post and other newspapers should be commended for serving the purpose that the Founding Fathers saw so clearly. – Hugo Black

Big Boss 05-26-2010 01:29

If God sends us on strong paths, we are provided strong shoes.
Corrie TenBoom

steel_eel 05-26-2010 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaquebite (Post 332603)
The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be.
William James

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure."
-Norman Vincent Peale

Snaquebite 05-27-2010 11:02

I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

- Thomas Jefferson

greenberetTFS 05-27-2010 11:35

Stupid is as stupid does............ ;) Sally Field,Forest Gump

orion5 05-27-2010 11:36

Si ventus non est, remiga. If there is no wind, row.

bandycpa 07-26-2010 19:25

"Critics are men who sit and watch a battle from a high place and come down to shoot the survivors." – Ernest Hemingway

Sdiver 07-26-2010 20:36

Although he had many great quotes, I think these are appropriate for this site.

Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

forward 07-26-2010 21:17

Common but a classic nonetheless:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt, April 23, 1910

and one from an amazing human being:

“The last of human freedoms - the ability to chose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances.” -Viktor Frankl

V/r,

Forward

SouthernDZ 07-27-2010 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaquebite (Post 332603)
William James

"You can't change the wind, but you can always adjust the sails" - Unknown Author

Nightfall 11-03-2010 09:44

Haven't seen one in a while, so...

"He impaired his vision by holding the object too close. He might see, perhaps, one or two points with unusual clearness, but in so doing he, necessarily, lost sight of the matter as a whole. Thus there is such a thing as being too profound. Truth is not always in a well. In fact, as regards the more important knowledge, I do believe that she is invariably superficial. The depth lies in the valleys where we seek her, and not upon the mountain-tops where she is found." - E. A. Poe

Richard 11-03-2010 09:54

...there are some things that can beat smartness and foresight. Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him.

- Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Bordercop 11-03-2010 10:12

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

P. J. O'Rourke

Tatonka316 11-03-2010 10:44

"The path to my fixed purpose is laid on iron rails in which my soul is grooved to ride." Herman Melvile, Moby Dick

molon labe:lifter