Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   10th Special Forces Group (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Oriiginal 10th Group coin cast (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43128)

Snaquebite 08-16-2013 13:01

Oriiginal 10th Group coin cast

10th Group CSM is looking for the original 10th Group Coin Cast; they have decided to return to its roots and would like to establish the original coin as the official 10th Group Coin. The CSM believes that an expat may either have and know where this cast is located. Any assistance in locating this piece of history will be greatly appreciated.

Rec'd in an email, No POC listed.

longrange1947 08-16-2013 13:38

George, I have an original coin that has never been carried as it is my wife's. If they can use it to cast a new mold I would let them use it as long as I get it back. It is engraved but I think any half way decent mold maker can fix that.

Just a thought.

MR2 08-16-2013 14:06

Check with Venus Jewelers, Bancock

Team Sergeant 08-16-2013 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR2 (Post 519362)
Check with Venus Jewelers, Bancock

LOL, does every SF group know about Venus Jewelers?

Beef 08-17-2013 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 519401)
LOL, does every SF group know about Venus Jewelers?

I've got the contact info for Venus, if needed. They currently (last year, anyway) only accept payment via wire transfer to a domestic Bank of America account. I mention this, because it kind of freaks some people out. "Send the money to this guy's BOA acct. in Arizona and we 'll send you a ring from Thailand."

Stras 08-24-2013 09:07

As near as we can assess, the original coin was made in either Bad Tolz or Munich. since the early 50's or 60's when the coin was made, there is no record or trace of who made them.

We have the lightning bolt version that is currently being re-cast for 1-10.

The Reaper 08-24-2013 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stras (Post 520287)
As near as we can assess, the original coin was made in either Bad Tolz or Munich. since the early 50's or 60's when the coin was made, there is no record or trace of who made them.

We have the lightning bolt version that is currently being re-cast for 1-10.

Twin lightning bolts? :eek:

TR

Stras 08-24-2013 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 520293)
Twin lightning bolts? :eek:

TR

Nope.. there are three on the coin.

longrange1947 08-24-2013 13:27

Stras, are you saying that the original coin was minted in the 50s or 60s?? I thought Col Greene made the original in 69.

x SF med 08-24-2013 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaquebite (Post 519350)
10th Group CSM is looking for the original 10th Group Coin Cast; they have decided to return to its roots and would like to establish the original coin as the official 10th Group Coin. The CSM believes that an expat may either have and know where this cast is located. Any assistance in locating this piece of history will be greatly appreciated.

Rec'd in an email, No POC listed.

George, do you have a picture of the original coin? Is it the Trojan Horse coin with a different obverse engraving?

mike-munich 08-26-2013 00:10

I think it might have been the same jeweler in Bad Tölz that did the sterling silver DUI that a couple of guys had on their Class A's. I just can't think of his name right now.... I'll do a little more thinking and try to gather some intel. I'm in the AO, so I can make some phonecalls if needed.

Bennett 08-26-2013 15:15

Original coin

Boys you can stand down. The local SFA Chapter has what the CSM thinks is the original 10th Group coin, not the 1/10 (Bad Tölz). When we got this note we clarified what he was looking for. My guess the CMD group had moved away from the original in the past few years and had a top three minted? We took over supplying the normal coin due to the restrictions of active duty units buying a bulk supply. We have couple hundred and have the mold so we can mint as many as needed. Good conversation though. Any one with questions can let me know.

mike-munich 08-27-2013 00:36

HUA. Thanks Don.

Stras 08-27-2013 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike-munich (Post 520414)
I think it might have been the same jeweler in Bad Tölz that did the sterling silver DUI that a couple of guys had on their Class A's. I just can't think of his name right now.... I'll do a little more thinking and try to gather some intel. I'm in the AO, so I can make some phonecalls if needed.

you're thinking of Eichmann's Goldschmiede.

The son, who now runs the store, has no recollection of the coins being made there.

mike-munich 08-28-2013 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stras (Post 520576)
you're thinking of Eichmann's Goldschmiede.

The son, who now runs the store, has no recollection of the coins being made there.

Stras, I think it was Eichmann on Marktstrasse who made the sterling silver unit crests. As for the coins, I think there was another Juwelier/Goldschmied involved...