Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   10th Special Forces Group (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bad Toelz (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1942)

QRQ 30 05-26-2004 13:17

Bad Toelz

1 Attachment(s)
A friend sent me these pictures taken at the 50th re-union last fall. This is the Market Strasse and looks exactly as it did forty yrars ago and probably forty years before that.

QRQ 30 05-26-2004 13:19

1 Attachment(s)
Looking the opposite direction. The only change is that vehicular traffic is now restricted.

CSB 05-26-2004 17:59

The Toelz

What about the quad?
Still standing?
And the Sportsman's Lodge?
And the tunnels?
The pool?
The airfield?

QRQ 30 05-26-2004 20:36

I haven't been there since 1967. I understand a housing developement company has bought Flint Kaserne and is making it into apartments and Condos. Some of the main building was left in place. BTAAF was turned over to the civilians. Soaring is a big sport in Bavaria what with the thermals from the Alps.

CSB 05-27-2004 11:21

Thank you.

I enjoyed my short tour there, I thought it was the perfect location for the SFOD(E).

Razor 05-27-2004 12:47

Never was in Toelz, but man do those pics make me miss Germany! Its getting into fest season right about now, isn't it?

Edited for poor German spelling

larfive 06-17-2004 11:15

good memories

I remember that place very well. I grew up in germany and Bad tolz was one of my earliest memories. To answer your question about the kasern, airfield ect. The airfield is currently in use by commercial airlines. Last time I was home, I saw germany military on the kasern logistics. I didnt recognize any combat arms IE Fahlschemjagers oder Spetzialaheiten.
LarV

Matt01 08-09-2005 18:11

the flint kaserne is now called the flint center with a county department in it(landratsamt). all walls and fences have been removed. a new ice hockey stadium was built on the east side and there are now some stores and a bank inside the flint kaserne. i'll send some pics.

something totally different, I am looking for this vest: if somebody has a similar vest he wants to get rid of pm/email me. I think it is made by eagle ciras/paraclete. size small or medium.
pic of the vest
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6986/d4t1b5dq.jpg

thank you.

Matt

The Reaper 08-09-2005 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt01
the flint kaserne is now called the flint center with a county department in it(landratsamt). all walls and fences have been removed. a new ice hockey stadium was built on the east side and there are now some stores and a bank inside the flint kaserne. i'll send some pics.

something totally different, I am looking for this vest: if somebody has a similar vest he wants to get rid of pm/email me. I think it is made by eagle ciras/paraclete. size small or medium.
pic of the vest
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6986/d4t1b5dq.jpg

thank you.

Matt

Matt:

Fill in your profile, introduce yourself, and read the stickies and intros before posting further please.

FYI, this isn't a swap meet.

TR

lksteve 08-09-2005 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by QRQ 30
Looking the opposite direction. The only change is that vehicular traffic is now restricted.

i suspect they still allow Leonardhifarht to go through...still miss the place...

Razor, if memory serves me, Herbstfest should be cranking up in a week or so, if they still have it (i'm not sure what relevance an international parachuting competition would have without us there)...of course, Oktoberfest is next month...there used to be (and i suspect there still are) several major Schutzen festivals throughout the summer, but fall into winter was a more festive season...

FILO 08-10-2005 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by larfive
I didnt recognize any combat arms IE Fahlschemjagers oder Spetzialaheiten.
LarV

The Fallschirmjaeger school, at least in the 1980s, was in Altenstadt, about 40 minutes from Toelz. IIRC Altenstadt was simply an airborne training facility and didn't host any combat arms units. They had a 34 foot tower, a replica from Benning. The only difference was the risers didn 't have any slack, risers and cable! Thus I made sure the package was well stowed.

Airbornelawyer 08-10-2005 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by FILO
The Fallschirmjaeger school, at least in the 1980s, was in Altenstadt, about 40 minutes from Toelz. IIRC Altenstadt was simply an airborne training facility and didn't host any combat arms units. They had a 34 foot tower, a replica from Benning. The only difference was the risers didn 't have any slack, risers and cable! Thus I made sure the package was well stowed.

The Luftlande- und Lufttransportschule is still in Altenstadt and is still just a school, at least the last time I was there a couple of years ago.

As for "special units," the main one is the KSK. They are at Calw, which is a short ride from Böblingen, where 1/10 is at now.

A bunch of Bad Tölz pictures over time are here: http://www.usarmygermany.com/USAREUR_City_BadToelz.htm

FILO 08-10-2005 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer

As for "special units," the main one is the KSK. They are at Calw, which is a short ride from Böblingen, where 1/10 is at now.

Our good friends at Calw, 3/251 Fallschirmjaegers, hosted my pathfinder team in some SERE training. Suffice to say, they would have done their forefathers proud when it came to interrogation techniques. :eek:

12B4S 08-10-2005 23:11

Great pics and website. Bad Toelz is a special town and the people are fantastic.
One New Years Eve, I was pulling CQ and this guy walks into the office. He owned a farm five or so miles down the road. He didn't speak any English, except for 'Happy New Year' and handed me a bottle of wine. Explaining that he knew some soldier would have to pull duty on New Years Eve and miss the celebrating with friends or family. We talked for awhile, wished each other a 'Happy New Year' and he went home to his family. I'll never forget that guy.

When I first arrived at Flint, I was living in the Kaserne. In the morning, you'd go to one huge room filled with sinks and mirrors, to another room with toilets and urinals and for a shower to another room down the hall. Felt like you should toss on your ruck, just to make the rounds every morning. :cool:

CoLawman 08-10-2005 23:27

Quote:

Razor, if memory serves me, Herbstfest should be cranking up in a week or so, if they still have it (i'm not sure what relevance an international parachuting competition would have without us there)...of course, Oktoberfest is next month...there used to be (and i suspect there still are) several major Schutzen festivals throughout the summer, but fall into winter was a more festive season
Or Razor were you thinking of "Fasching" which begins on November 11th at the 11th hour and the 11th minute. Doesn't end until 40 or so days before lent. Now those were parties!