Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Role for girlfriend (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22426)

tomcreo 03-23-2009 11:52

Role for girlfriend

In a nice change of pace about worried girlfriends/wives, I have a question about a girlfriend that wants to get into the fight.

For awhile now, she has had the pleasure of listening to me go on about how bad I want to be in SF. This weekend, after a training site recon with a tabbed senior NCO in her ROTC program, and a chance run in with a group of 3rd Group personnel at a range, she finally came to realize why I am so excited about a potential role in SF. So much so, that she is interested in how to get attached in a support/SOCOM role.

Some quick background: she is a senior at the college, has branched MI Reserve, and has her first duty station at an Intel Command.

Could anyone lend some advice? Thanks in advance.

Team Sergeant 03-23-2009 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcreo (Post 255886)
In a nice change of pace about worried girlfriends/wives, I have a question about a girlfriend that wants to get into the fight.

For awhile now, she has had the pleasure of listening to me go on about how bad I want to be in SF. This weekend, after a training site recon with a tabbed senior NCO in her ROTC program, and a chance run in with a group of 3rd Group personnel at a range, she finally came to realize why I am so excited about a potential role in SF. So much so, that she is interested in how to get attached in a support/SOCOM role.

Some quick background: she is a senior at the college, has branched MI Reserve, and has her first duty station at an Intel Command.

Could anyone lend some advice? Thanks in advance.

I had to read this twice to make sure I was reading it right.....:rolleyes:

If you pass SFAS and the Q-Course ask again. Until then your question is a pipe dream.

Special Operations has more than it's share of female intel types.... her chances to work with SF might be better than yours right now.

Go do PT.

Team Sergeant

tomcreo 03-23-2009 13:28

I understand that I've got a long row to hoe, and that she already has a foot in the door. I guess that is why I am asking. It is likely that she would have an opportunity to serve within Special Operations before I would, and she hasn't been able to find much information. I am aware that women are prevelant in SOF Intel.

To be fair, my question could use some clarification. In what capacity are female officers active in the Special Operations community? Are they typically analysts/desk jockeies, or are they allowed operate closer to the "tip of the spear"? If the answer violates OpSec feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Team Sergeant 03-23-2009 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcreo (Post 255914)
In what capacity are female officers active in the Special Operations community?
Thanks.

A much better question.

In the Groups there are females soldiers in intel, riggers, mechanics, supply, cooks, etc etc etc

You're not going to find them out actively hunting the bad- men if thats what you're asking.;)

tomcreo 03-23-2009 13:57

Thanks for the quick response, and sorry for the confusing initial question.

She is interested in primarily HumInt work. I take it as an officer, the job description involves mainly compiling intel reports and briefing higher/the ODAs? Is this correct?

Thanks again.

Team Sergeant 03-23-2009 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcreo (Post 255922)
Thanks for the quick response, and sorry for the confusing initial question.

She is interested in primarily HumInt work. I take it as an officer, the job description involves mainly compiling intel reports and briefing higher/the ODAs? Is this correct?

Thanks again.

Yup, that's about it, and taking care of the soldiers under her command (intel types).

Tell her to look into the CIA...

dirt_diver 03-23-2009 15:05

Since she will be a reserve MI officer, she should consider a contractor or government civilian job at SOCOM. She might be able to provide HUMINT support through DIA or other agencies that provide support to USSOCOM, but I do not think she will be doing source operations or anything in the near future.