Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Latin America (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Venezuela, a month left at best? (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50894)

Ret10Echo 01-13-2018 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 638389)
Chaotic, impoverished, dysfunctional, crime-ridden, unsanitary, grid failures, lack of medical care...

...sure sounds like a SHITHOLE.

Does having your own cryptocurrency elevate you above shithole status perhaps?


But wait, you need electricity to mine them. Hmm... a conundrum.

tonyz 01-13-2018 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ret10Echo (Post 638407)
Does having your own cryptocurrency elevate you above shithole status perhaps?
But wait, you need electricity to mine them. Hmm... a conundrum.

Nothing all that oil and a little capitalism and individual freedom can't fix !

Team Sergeant 01-14-2018 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 638414)
Nothing all that oil and a little capitalism and individual freedom can't fix !

saudi, iraq, iran, syria, yemen all shitholes........ even capitalism can't fix everything.

tonyz 01-14-2018 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 638429)
saudi, iraq, iran, syria, yemen all shitholes........ even capitalism can't fix everything.

A common denominator to many shitholes appears to be widespread corruption.

Perhaps we were a mere HRC away from our own shithole... :eek:

tonyz 01-17-2018 12:10

The socialist implosion continues.

Wave Of Looting Shutters Stores, Spreads Fear In Venezuela
January 17, 2018
By Alexandra Ulmer and Anggy Polanco
OANN

CARACAS/SAN CRISTOBAL, Venezuela (Reuters) – A wave of looting by hungry mobs across Venezuela has left streets of shuttered shops in provincial towns and pushed some store owners to arm themselves with guns and machetes, stirring fear that the turmoil could spread to the capital Caracas.

Worsening food shortages and runaway inflation have unleashed the spate of pillaging since Christmas in the South American country, in which seven people have reportedly died.

The unrest was sparked by shortages of pork for traditional holiday meals, despite socialist President Nicolas Maduro’s promise of subsidized meat to alleviate shortages.

Looters have ransacked trucks, supermarkets and liquor stores across the nation of 30 million people, which ranks as one of the most violent in the world.

The plunder is heaping more pain on battered businesses, raising questions about how much longer they can survive. Venezuela, once one of Latin America’s richest countries, is suffering a fifth straight year of recession and the world’s highest inflation rate, which the opposition-run Congress says topped 2,600 percent last year.

In the first 11 days of January alone, some 107 lootings or attempted lootings have taken place, according to the Venezuelan Observatory for Social Conflict, a rights group.

In one of the most dramatic incidents, a mob slaughtered cattle grazing in a field in the mountainous western state of Merida.

Skeptical that authorities can protect them, shopkeepers in the Andean town of Garcia de Hevia in the neighboring state of Tachira have taken matters into their own hands.

“We’re arming ourselves with sticks, knives, machetes, and firearms to defend our assets,” recounted William Roa, the president of the local shopkeepers’ association.

Roa, who owns a restaurant and liquor store, estimated that more than two-thirds of stores in the small town near the Colombian border were shut.

“A person spends the night in each store and we communicate using WhatsApp groups, coordinating by block 24 hours a day,” he said.

In Ciudad Guayana, a former industrial powerhouse on the Orinoco river in eastern Venezuela, many stores remain closed after a wave of nighttime lootings.

Garbage fills the streets and few cars circulate, though buses crammed with people crisscross town looking for places to buy food.

Businessmen in Caracas now fear the lootings, so far concentrated in the poorer and more lawless provinces, will spread to the sprawling capital, with its teeming hillside slums.

The owners of patisserie Arte Paris, in the city’s gritty downtown, reinforced the storefront with metal shutters last month. They now only stock ingredients like sugar for a handful of days and have considered hiring a costly nighttime guard.

“The fear is real,” said Sebastian Fallone, one of the owners, as men and children begged patrons for food. “I leave at night without knowing what I will find the next morning.”

‘NO HOPE’

Government critics say Maduro’s refusal to reform the OPEC nation’s floundering economy is to blame for the chaotic fight for survival in the country home to the world’s largest crude reserves.

With a presidential election looming this year, Maduro retorts that Venezuela’s oil-reliant economy is under attack by U.S.-backed saboteurs seeking to stoke conflict and discredit socialism in Latin America.

While videos of ransacking have gone viral, Maduro’s government has stayed largely mum. The Information Ministry did not respond to a request for information on the scale and impact of the looting.

The unrest has also stoked fears Venezuelan society could unravel as chaos sets in, fuelling mass emigration to nearby South American countries or a full-blown social explosion at home.

“Small-scale protests will be numerous and increasingly violent; any of these protests could contain the spark to serious unrest,” said consultancy Teneo Intelligence in a note to clients about the year ahead in Venezuela.

In an effort to curb voter anger over inflation, the government agency tasked with ensuring “fair prices” ordered some 200 supermarkets to slash their rates this month, triggering frenetic buying.

Roadside lootings have also scared truck drivers, disrupting the food distribution chain that is traditionally slower anyway in January because of holidays.

For Mery Cacua, manager of La Gran Parada, a supermarket chain in Tachira’s state capital San Cristobal, it has become too much to handle.

“We’re closing in two weeks. There’s no hope anymore,” said Cacua, adding she and her siblings had not yet mustered the strength to break the news to their 87-year-old father, who founded the business 60 years ago.

The family does not know what to do but is considering starting from scratch in Colombia.

Venezuelan supermarkets that remain open are often a shadow of what they once were. Many shelves are barren and poor Venezuelans increasingly mass outside stores, imploring entering shoppers to buy them goods.

“What are they going to loot here? There’s nothing. The warehouse is empty,” said an employee at a big supermarket in Caracas, as a colleague behind him filled empty shelves with water bottles to make them look stocked.

http://www.oann.com/wave-of-looting-...-in-venezuela/

Badger52 01-17-2018 12:42

Gen Z'ers, this was Socialism-101

Quote:

Katya: I will take you to where we can have lunch. If you do not mind, I will first buy shoes.

Barley: Shoes?

Katya: Today there is a shipment of shoes. With perestroika, there is even less available than before.

Barley: Really? I thought things were improving.

Katya: Everything is corrupt and incompetent. Perhaps different people are now stealing. I don't know.

Barley: Keep your voice down.

Katya: Complaining is our new human right. Glasnost gives everyone the right to complain and accuse... but it doesn't make more shoes.
Venezuela is an AP-class; study hard.

tonyz 01-17-2018 12:52

"Katya: Complaining is our new human right. Glasnost gives everyone the right to complain and accuse... but it doesn't make more shoes."

Just like BIGGOV creating "universal health care" ...it does NOT create more medical professionals.

The curtain has been pulled aside for all to see in real time - on that scam that is communism/socialism.

Equal misery...and an untouchable elite.

Pete 01-18-2018 08:56

Venezuela’s Oil Production Is Collapsing
 
Venezuela’s Oil Production Is Collapsing

https://www.wsj.com/articles/venezue...all-1516271401

Behind the WSJ wall but you get the idea from the first paragraph.

"CARACAS, Venezuela—Venezuela’s oil output is collapsing at an accelerating pace, deepening an economic and humanitarian crisis and increasing the chances the country will default on its debts...."

Down 216,000 barrels from November to December. Total for December 1.6 million barrels.

November article from Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKBN1DD1QD

JimP 01-18-2018 10:07

Atlas is shrugging in Venezuela. In an oil-rich country, only progressives could screw up oil production.

Even the hydro-cepheletics in the middle-east had enough sense to hire capitalists to develop their oil industry.

Team Sergeant 01-18-2018 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP (Post 638678)
Even the hydro-cepheletics in the middle-east had enough sense to hire capitalists to develop their oil industry.

Not much of an option when the national IQ is only 2 point higher then the camels they herd.

If every foreigner left the middle east they would collapse under the weight of millennia of incestuous breeding.

If they didn't possess oil they would not be on the worlds radar.

abc_123 01-18-2018 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP (Post 638678)
Atlas is shrugging in Venezuela. In an oil-rich country, only progressives could screw up oil production.

Even the hydro-cepheletics in the middle-east had enough sense to hire capitalists to develop their oil industry.

He had them and then fired them. Siphoned oil $$ to line his cronies pockets and fund socialist giveaways. Not enough $$ re-invested into production + expensive to produce oil + low oil prices = not good

Peak oil production occurred in Chavez's first year in office. Been in decline ever since. Reserves are NOT the issue.

tom kelly 02-13-2018 21:58

END IS NEAR ????
 
REPORTED ON FOX NEWS TODAY 2/13/2018 71% of VENEZUELA'S CHILD POPULATION HAVE BEEN ABANDONED BY PARENT'S BECAUSE OF FOOD SHORTAGE

Box 02-14-2018 06:37

BRV-BRV-BRV


come on folks, say it with me....


BRV-BRV-BRV-BRV

tonyz 03-04-2018 07:16

A once rich nation descends into darkness under 20 years of socialism.

A lesson in real time for all those young Hillary and Bernie voters to see...if they will open their eyes and their minds...

A ‘Caravan Of Misery’ As Desperate Venezeulans Flee Their Country To Survive
JOHN SEXTONPosted at 7:01 pm on March 3, 2018
Hot Air

Venezuela was a socialist paradise until it became a nightmare. Now no one on the left wants to talk about it. All the more reason to talk about it and to study closely the complete collapse of a society that elected a socialist goon promising to wipe out inequality. He did that in a sense. Money is so worthless in today’s Venezuela that almost anyone can be a millionaire and almost everyone is equally starving and miserable. The only solution for many people is to flee the country. Venezuelan socialism has led to one of the largest mass migrations in South American history, with up to 1.5 million Venezuelans fleeing the country in the past two years.

Yesterday the Washington Post and Reuters both published lengthy stories focused on the exodus of starving and desperate people. Reuters reporters spent 9 days on a bus full of people hoping to find work in neighboring countries most had never even visited.

On board the bus, web developer Tony Alonzo had sold his childhood guitar to help pay for his ticket to Chile. For months he had been going to bed hungry so that his 5-year-old brother could have something for dinner. Natacha Rodriguez, a machine operator, had been robbed at gunpoint three times in the past year. She was headed for Chile, too, hoping to give her baseball-loving son a better life. Roger Chirinos was leaving his wife and two young children behind to search for work in Ecuador…

By the time dawn rises over Caracas, hungry people are already picking through garbage while kids beg in front of bakeries. Come dusk, many Venezuelans shut themselves inside their homes to avoid muggings and kidnappings. In a country with the world’s largest proven crude reserves, some families now cook with firewood because they cannot find propane. Hospitals lack supplies as basic as disinfectant. Food is so scarce and pricey that the average Venezuelan lost 24 pounds last year.

“I feel Venezuela has succumbed to an irreversible evil,” Chirinos said…

Venezuelans elected Chavez, the late leftist firebrand, in 1998 with a mandate to fight inequality. A charismatic former lieutenant colonel, Chavez transformed the country during his 14-year rule, pouring oil revenue into wildly popular welfare programs. But he also nationalized large swaths of the economy and implemented strict currency controls, state meddling that economists say is the root of the current crisis…

Now, financially ravaged Venezuelans with fewer skills are pouring across South America in a frantic search for work in restaurants, stores, call centers and construction sites. Some travel only as far as their savings will stretch: A one-way bus ticket to neighboring Colombia from Caracas costs the U.S. equivalent of around $15; the fare for a trip to Chile or Argentina can run as high as $350, a small fortune for many. The plunging currency and rocketing inflation make financing the voyage more expensive with each passing day.

Sociologist Tomas Paez, an immigration specialist at the Central University of Venezuela, estimates that almost 3 million people have fled Venezuela over the past two decades. He believes nearly half of them have left in the last two years alone, in one of the largest mass migrations the continent has ever seen.

All of that means that the worst is probably yet to come in Venezuela. What we’re seeing now is probably just the beginning of a mass exodus that could create chaos throughout South America. No wonder American socialists don’t want to talk about it.

<snip>

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/03/...untry-survive/

Box 03-04-2018 10:05

So - Venezuelans elected Chavez to fight inequality. They wanted equality and Chavez dove into the task; in the years that followed Chavez took the countries massive oil resources and used them to fund revolutionary welfare programs. Programs that were incredibly popular with the less equal - but not so popular with the more equal that skippered the evil, profit-driven petroleum-based economy.

Stingy fucking capitalists.

Chavez essentially usurped control of Venezuela's economy and implemented his own brand of equality...
...the same brand of equality that America's liberal elitists can't wait to implement here in the USA. Now, Venezuelans from all of the different socioeconomically equality levels are fucked. They are evacuating their beloved Venezuelan equality like rats from a sinking ship.

Where are these people going? Why would they leave such a liberal utopia?
Where in the fuck is Sean Penn and the Clinton Foundation when we need them the most?

What we need is more of that Venezuelan equality to level the playing field.

tom kelly 03-04-2018 16:16

THE NEW CURRENCY ????
 
The Bitcoin is now the "NEW CURRENCY", Let's see how well that works...

Badger52 03-04-2018 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Box (Post 640863)
Where in the fuck is Sean Penn and the Clinton Foundation when we need them the most?

I heard there was going to be a "Concert for the People of Venezuela" but there's no electricity to plug in the amps. I'm sure it'll be all the talk at the Oscars tonight.

Joker 03-04-2018 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger52 (Post 640868)
I heard there was going to be a "Concert for the People of Venezuela" but there's no electricity to plug in the amps. I'm sure it'll be all the talk at the Oscars tonight.

Unplugged. :D

tom kelly 03-09-2018 01:35

VENEZUELLA & SOCIALISM ???
 
Bernie Sanders should go down there with his "less than brilliant ideas" on running a country....Tom Kelly

tonyz 03-17-2018 06:08

Socialists sitting on some of the worlds largest oil reserves...last one out...please shut the lights...oh, never mind.

Venezuela begins power rationing as drought causes severe outages

By Anggy Polanco and Isaac Urrutia
Reuters
March 16, 2018

SAN CRISTOBAL, Venezuela (Reuters) - Venezuela imposed electricity rationing this week in six western states, as the crisis-hit country's creaky power grid suffered from a drought that has reduced water levels in key reservoirs needed to run hydroelectric power generators.

The four-hour formal outages began on Thursday. But many residents scoffed at the announcement, wryly noting that they have been suffering far more extended blackouts during the last week.

"We have spent 14 hours without electricity today. And yesterday electricity came and went: for six hours we had no power," said Ligthia Marrero, 50, in the western state of San Cristobal, noting that her fridge had been damaged by the frequent interruptions.

Crumbling infrastructure and lack of investments have hit Venezuela's power supply for years. Now, the situation has been exacerbated by dwindling rains.

In the worst-hit western cities, business has all but ground to a halt at a time when the OPEC nation of 30 million is already suffering hyperinflation and a profound recession. Many Venezuelans are unable to eat properly on salaries of just a couple of dollars per month at the black market rate, sparking malnutrition, emigration and frequent sights of Venezuelans digging through trash or begging in front of supermarkets.

Maybelin Mendoza, a cashier at a bakery in Tachira state, said business has been further hit because points of sale stop working during blackouts - just as Venezuelans are chronically short of cash due to hyperinflation.

In the most dramatic cases, the opposition governor of Tachira state said three people, including a four-month-old, died this week because they failed to receive assistance during a power outage.

"Because of electrical failures, the machines weren't able to revive the people and they died," said Laidy Gomez.

Reuters was unable to confirm the report.

Authorities have acknowledged that interruptions will continue for at least two weeks, but they have not said whether they will spread to other states.

"Of a possible 1,100 megawatts, we are only generating 150 right now," Energy Minister Luis Motta told reporters referring to the Fabricio Ojeda dam, in the western Andean state of Merida.

Capital city Caracas and other major cities have not been hit by rationing yet. Two years ago, rationing there lasted five months when a drought hit the Guri dam, the country's largest hydroelectric dam.

But because of the economic crisis, Venezuela has reduced electricity consumption to about 14,000 megawatts at peak hours, according to engineer and former electricity executive Miguel Lara. Two years ago, state-run Corpoelec put the figure at 16,000 megawatts.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/venezuela...193846729.html

Box 03-17-2018 06:40

Well, at least they are still being reported at the tops of the list for cheapest gas in the world at 0.01 US Dollars per liter.
https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/V...soline_prices/

Hooray for cheap Venezuelan gasoline !!!

Badger52 03-17-2018 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 641409)
"Of a possible 1,100 megawatts, we are only generating 150 right now," Energy Minister Luis Motta told reporters referring to the Fabricio Ojeda dam, in the western Andean state of Merida.

Bread-math becomes electrical-math.

exsquid 03-17-2018 20:49

Too bad gasoline is neither nutritious nor filling.

x/S

Team Sergeant 03-18-2018 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by exsquid (Post 641420)
Too bad gasoline is neither nutritious nor filling.

x/S

LOLOL

tonyz 03-18-2018 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by exsquid (Post 641420)
Too bad gasoline is neither nutritious nor filling.

x/S

But...it works great for commie helicopter rides...

bblhead672 03-18-2018 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 641430)
But...it works great for commie helicopter rides...

and molotov cocktails....

tonyz 03-18-2018 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblhead672 (Post 641433)
and molotov cocktails....

Absolutely !

And, in yet another teachable moment involving Commies for all to see...at one point Maduro outlawed private ownership of firearms !

...some time later, Maduro reversed himself and actually started issuing small arms ...but...only to his supporters...

Venezuela is a modern Petri dish in progress...

Badger52 07-27-2018 12:19

Hey, what about...?!?!
 
I'll admit; I pondered between cleaning patches as to whether to post this here or in Comedy Zone. Is this the opposite of just printing more money with Art Linkletter's portrait on it?

One Million Percent Inflation: Venezuela Removes Five Zeroes from Currency

Quote:

Venezuelan dictator Nicolás Maduro has removed five zeroes from the country’s bolivar currency amid inflation that is expected to reach one million percent by the end of the year.

The announcement comes two days after the International Monetary Fund predicted that Venezuela’s inflation would reach one million percent by the end of 2018. Maduro said the monetary conversion would spark “great revolutionary changes in the economy, which Venezuela demands.”

Such a measure is indicative of the unprecedented levels of inflation experienced by the bolivar currency, which has lost over 99.999 percent of its value since 2010 as a result of socialist economic policies started under Hugo Chávez that created a highly inefficient, nationalized economy.

At current exchange rates, one U.S. dollar is equivalent to 3.52 million bolivares, leading to a total collapse of people’s savings and livelihoods that has left large swathes of the population in desperate need of economic and humanitarian assistance.

Back in March, Maduro announced that the government would print money with three fewer zeros, although the plan was never carried out in full. He has also tried to solve the inflation crisis by repeatedly raising the country’s minimum wage, as well as releasing higher denomination bank notes to prevent people from thousands of banknotes to buy simple products.
Rest of the article here.

Damn, now I got David Gilmour's tremelo'd guitar licks & Roger Waters' voice in my head... better fire up the Strat.

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Money, get back
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack
Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet

Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise that they're
Giving none away, away, away

tom kelly 07-29-2018 14:15

VENEZUELA: Paradise Lost ?
 
I guess those "refugees" will be fleeing their homeland and heading up to the U S / Mexico border for Asylum in the U S A...I believe it is the goal of the Mexican Government to destabilize and destroy the U S A Now is the moment to attack the Narco-Terrorist state of Mexico & it's CRIMINAL Gov. about 200 cruise missiles dispersed around the cartel's drug operation centers would send the right message.... BY THE WAY WHERE IS THE UNITED NATIONS, still hiding in NYC living the good life. tom kelly

Box 07-29-2018 16:24

There is nothing wrong with Venezuela.

It is a well-governed socialist paradise performing as designed. Why would the UN ever want to declare a wonderful place like Venezuela a failed state?

Badger52 07-29-2018 18:05

Well, the UNHCR did send out a nice note asking other countries to play nice & do what the US seems to be doing.
Quote:

BOGOTA, Colombia

Amid the growing exodus of Venezuelans, the United Nations for the first time is asking the region to treat the population as “refugees” who are unable to go home — rather than mere economic migrants.

In a three-page report, the United Nations Refugee Agency, UNHCR, also recommends that countries that have received Venezuelans not deport, expel or forcibly return them “in view of the current situation in Venezuela.”

In the document, titled “Guidance Note on the Outflow of Venezuelans,” the agency asks countries to guarantee Venezuelans residency and the right to work, even if they entered the country illegally or don’t have the proper identification papers.

The guidelines would seem to be a rebuke to neighboring Colombia, which has increasingly been deporting Venezuelans and restricting their entry.

Last month, Colombian immigration began requiring new Venezuelan arrivals to present passports — although that document has become difficult, if not impossible, for most people to obtain. New Venezuelan arrivals in Colombia have also been barred from getting work permits except under exceptional cases.

Those measures, Colombian authorities say, have decreased the number of Venezuelans entering the country on a daily basis by 30 percent.
(Nah, they're just headed a different direction.)

I'm with Box - the place, like a really bad old McNamara project, passes its gates & is functioning as intended.

tonyz 07-30-2018 07:11

Families fleeing a commie utopia...once again and again and again...ya don’t say.

Are the youngsters paying attention ?

Communism damn sure ain’t no safe space...hundreds of millions of shattered lives attest to that over the years.

Box 07-30-2018 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 644868)
Families fleeing a commie utopia...once again and again and again...ya don’t say.

Are the youngsters paying attention ?

Communism damn sure ain’t no safe space...hundreds of millions of shattered lives attest to that over the years.


It is because communism and socialism just haven't been administered properly...

if uncle bErnie, Felonia vonPantsuit, jimmy k1mmel, nAncy peLosi, and chucky shumer could run things, it would work just fine


dont you guys pay attention?

rsdengler 07-31-2018 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Box (Post 644879)
It is because communism and socialism just haven't been administered properly...

if uncle bErnie, Felonia vonPantsuit, jimmy k1mmel, nAncy peLosi, and chucky shumer could run things, it would work just fine


dont you guys pay attention?

LOL...then let's just blindfold the lot of them and kick them out of the back of a nice C-130 over the land of "Non-Plenty" Venezuela....Do your jobs you commie-knockers...enjoy your stay in the land of Utopia....love it, "Felonia vonPantsuit"....especially the "prison" orange outfit.....Hee, Hee.....:D

Pete 08-01-2018 05:14

Venezuela's president admits economy has failed
 
Venezuela's president admits economy has failed

Now you would think this is a good thing but if you read the story you'll see he still blames others outside the country for it's problem. Nothing socialism has done.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/venezuela...193020358.html

"..."I estimate it will take about two years to reach a high level of stability and see the first symptoms of new and economic prosperity, without for one second affecting social security and protection," added the president.

Maduro's economic recovery plan includes increasing oil production to "six million barrels a day by 2025 or before." Oil production has crashed from a high of 3.2 million barrels a day in 2008 to a 30-year low 1.5 million this year.

As well as the IMF's mind-boggling inflation prediction, it says Venezuela's GDP will plummet 18 percent this year, meaning a fourth consecutive year of double-digit falls...."

tonyz 08-01-2018 07:41

Socialism FAILS again
 
Powerful lessons for would-be young Socialists - prolly too late for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and our other committed Socialists like Bernie and his supporters...but maybe some of them can be persuaded with facts...

As Pete pointed out in his post, Maduro largely blames others for his nation’s problems - but he acknowledges that his economic models have FAILED.

In the article posted here reinforcing the reports of undeniable failure - Maduro does take some responsibility and the photos and personal accounts are compelling. Edited excerpts below with complete article at link.

The Venezuelan city where nothing works: Running water comes once a month and cash machines are empty - as president Maduro finally admits his socialist economic policies have 'FAILED'

Daily Mail
By AFP and JULIAN ROBINSON FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 05:50 EDT, 1 August 2018 | UPDATED: 06:07 EDT, 1 August 2018

'The production models we've tried so far have failed and the responsibility is ours, mine and yours,' Maduro told his ruling PSUV party congress, as Venezuela looks to tackle chronic inflation the International Monetary Fund predicted would reach one million percent this year.

Industry is operating at just 30 percent, perhaps best reflected by the farming sector which supplies barely a quarter of national consumption having provided 75 percent a few years ago, the National Farmers Federation said.

In San Juan, Florimar Nieves, a 39-year-old primary school teacher said of life in the city: 'They send (running) water once a month. The rest of the time we have to buy it.

'There have been times where we've had no electricity for 24 hours.'

'No more whining, I want solutions comrades!'

Venezuela's economic crisis that saw the International Monetary Fund predict inflation would reach one million percent this year, has hit San Juan hard.

And this in the country that was once one of the top 10 oil producers in the world.

Adults and children alike, dressed in shabby, ill-fitting clothes, walk long distances to get to work or school, tired of waiting hours for one of the few buses still running.

Those who cannot buy water and haven't received any for weeks face trips to the 'tap' in the center of town, supplied by a system of pipes leading from a well.

'We come here two or three times a week. We haven't had water for 12 days,' said Arelis Oliveros as she filled up several containers.

The problem has reached such desperate levels that 17-year-old Alejandro often washes in rain water because his grandfather's house, where he lives, regularly goes days without receiving water.

'Sometimes I get fed up with washing this way because I smell bad, so I treat myself, blowing 10,000 bolivars on the bus to go and wash at my mother's house,' he said.

It's luxury in a country where the currency is losing value at such an alarming rate that the largest denomination bank note, 100,000 bolivars, which once would buy five kilograms (11 pounds) of rice, is barely enough for a single cigarette.

Cash has practically vanished from circulation throughout the country, but in San Juan the cash machines don't work anyway and residents have to queue for hours at banks to withdraw money.

In any case, they are only allowed to withdraw a maximum of 100,000 bolivars, half the price of single egg.

President Nicolas Maduro's government has announced it will try to ward off economic collapse by stripping five zeros off the currency, but a similar move by his predecessor Hugo Chavez 10 years ago - he knocked off three - didn't stop the country descending into today's crisis.

The socialist government has over recent years nationalized various industry sectors such as cement and steel, expropriated hundreds of businesses, including supermarket chains, and lately brought in the army to control street markets to guard against rising prices.

It has also fixed prices on various goods and imposed a monopoly on foreign exchange.

<snip>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nes-empty.html

bblhead672 08-01-2018 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 644898)
Powerful lessons for would-be young Socialists - prolly too late for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and our other committed Socialists like Bernie and his supporters...but maybe some of them can be persuaded with facts...

As Pete pointed out in his post, Maduro largely blames others for his nation’s problems - but he acknowledges that his economic models have FAILED.

In the article posted here reinforcing the reports of undeniable failure - Maduro does take some responsibility and the photos and personal accounts are compelling. Edited excerpts below with complete article at link.

The Venezuelan city where nothing works: Running water comes once a month and cash machines are empty - as president Maduro finally admits his socialist economic policies have 'FAILED'

Daily Mail
By AFP and JULIAN ROBINSON FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 05:50 EDT, 1 August 2018 | UPDATED: 06:07 EDT, 1 August 2018

'The production models we've tried so far have failed and the responsibility is ours, mine and yours,' Maduro told his ruling PSUV party congress, as Venezuela looks to tackle chronic inflation the International Monetary Fund predicted would reach one million percent this year.

Industry is operating at just 30 percent, perhaps best reflected by the farming sector which supplies barely a quarter of national consumption having provided 75 percent a few years ago, the National Farmers Federation said.

In San Juan, Florimar Nieves, a 39-year-old primary school teacher said of life in the city: 'They send (running) water once a month. The rest of the time we have to buy it.

'There have been times where we've had no electricity for 24 hours.'

'No more whining, I want solutions comrades!'

Venezuela's economic crisis that saw the International Monetary Fund predict inflation would reach one million percent this year, has hit San Juan hard.

And this in the country that was once one of the top 10 oil producers in the world.

Adults and children alike, dressed in shabby, ill-fitting clothes, walk long distances to get to work or school, tired of waiting hours for one of the few buses still running.

Those who cannot buy water and haven't received any for weeks face trips to the 'tap' in the center of town, supplied by a system of pipes leading from a well.

'We come here two or three times a week. We haven't had water for 12 days,' said Arelis Oliveros as she filled up several containers.

The problem has reached such desperate levels that 17-year-old Alejandro often washes in rain water because his grandfather's house, where he lives, regularly goes days without receiving water.

'Sometimes I get fed up with washing this way because I smell bad, so I treat myself, blowing 10,000 bolivars on the bus to go and wash at my mother's house,' he said.

It's luxury in a country where the currency is losing value at such an alarming rate that the largest denomination bank note, 100,000 bolivars, which once would buy five kilograms (11 pounds) of rice, is barely enough for a single cigarette.

Cash has practically vanished from circulation throughout the country, but in San Juan the cash machines don't work anyway and residents have to queue for hours at banks to withdraw money.

In any case, they are only allowed to withdraw a maximum of 100,000 bolivars, half the price of single egg.

President Nicolas Maduro's government has announced it will try to ward off economic collapse by stripping five zeros off the currency, but a similar move by his predecessor Hugo Chavez 10 years ago - he knocked off three - didn't stop the country descending into today's crisis.

The socialist government has over recent years nationalized various industry sectors such as cement and steel, expropriated hundreds of businesses, including supermarket chains, and lately brought in the army to control street markets to guard against rising prices.

It has also fixed prices on various goods and imposed a monopoly on foreign exchange.

<snip>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nes-empty.html

What Venezuela needs is the US to export a few million leftist SJW's down there to straighten the government out. One way tickets of course. Any SJW's who survive may reapply for entry back into US after passing citizenship exam. :D

Badger52 08-01-2018 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblhead672 (Post 644903)
One way tickets of course. Any SJW's who survive may reapply for entry back into US after passing citizenship exam. :D

"Your number is 3,176,483. Now serving #4...number FOUR?"


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:16.


Copyright 2004-2022 by Professional Soldiers ®