Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology News and Reviews (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Tablet suggestions...... (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38438)

Mills 06-21-2012 16:02

Tablet suggestions......

Gents, looking to throw the switch on getting a tablet. I have held off due to living out in the sticks and not having DSL or Cable internet, so it renders itself almost useless at home, however with the amount that I have been traveling this year, I am starting to feel like it would really make life easier.

Any suggestions besides an IPad? I am anti-apple and refuse to conform.

Basically, all of the browsing of a computer, has the ability to use a keyboard with it if possible, have some nifty add ons and what not.

I am not a tech savvy guy, so i figured someone here may have a suggestion based on past use, trips and abuse........

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Longstreet 06-21-2012 20:47

Jayson here and after doing considerable research I settled on a Playbook. Why? Simply because it met my needs the best. What do you plan to do with a tablet that is what must it do to make you happy? I am a Kindergarten teacher and use mine solely in the classroom so listing my reasons for purchasing a Playbook I would suspect would not apply to you. If you tell me what you want it for, I may be able to offer some advice.

jaYson

VVVV 06-21-2012 21:13

This may be worth waiting for!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1607331.html

stfesta 06-22-2012 08:28

I have an iPad3 WiFi.

Very versatile, great for traveling.

I didn't bother with the 4G version. With so much free WiFi out there, I didn't want to pay for another service.
sf

JJ_BPK 06-22-2012 09:00

I also do not subscribe to the Isheeple line of thought,, but...

The wife's 8yo think-pad was getting old, so I purchased an Ipad II for Mother's Day. I love her but she is not PC enabled when it comes to computers.

After two days on the Ipad she was on her own. I check weekly for updates. I am amazed at the easy of use.. :D

It helped that our daughters and their hubbies have Isheeple fever. Even our 6yo G-daughter spends quality time teaching Na Na how to use her new toy.. :eek:

I am still not an Isheeple..

As suggested, I would wait until the new Microsoft Surface hit the streets. They will be dumping them on the market for Christmas and back to college kids.

The Surface will have a couple ports I think are needed that apple doesn't want to give you:

USB port, preferable v.3.0
SD or micro-SD card slot, preferably SDXC, that will go above 32BG

greenberetTFS 06-22-2012 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by stfesta (Post 454778)
I have an iPad3 WiFi.

Very versatile, great for traveling.

I didn't bother with the 4G version. With so much free WiFi out there, I didn't want to pay for another service.
sf

Maggie has the same one,but elected to go with the 4G also since most of the hospitals I'm in don't support WiFi yet.......So when she leaves it for me it's the only way I can access the forum.........:D

Big Teddy :munchin

MR2 06-22-2012 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 454784)
I am still not an Isheeple.

I'm with you JJ; I guess that makes us iLuddites...

DIYPatriot 06-22-2012 14:55

Android

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills (Post 454699)
Any suggestions besides an IPad? I am anti-apple and refuse to conform.

I'm right there with you. I would go with an Android enabled device. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can't go wrong with a Samsung Galaxy. If you do end up purchasing a different 'droid be sure to check where it is made and what version of Android it is running.

A friend of mine bought a Coby (made in China) and it will not allow him to install many of the major apps that can be downloaded from the Google App market. If you want more detail just PM me and I'll elaborate and/or give you a list of decent ones to review.

Good luck!

greenberetTFS 06-22-2012 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIYPatriot (Post 454854)
I'm right there with you. I would go with an Android enabled device. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can't go wrong with a Samsung Galaxy. If you do end up purchasing a different 'droid be sure to check where it is made and what version of Android it is running.

A friend of mine bought a Coby (made in China) and it will not allow him to install many of the major apps that can be downloaded from the Google App market. If you want more detail just PM me and I'll elaborate and/or give you a list of decent ones to review.

Good luck!

DIYP

A little while back I heard about the Samsung Galaxy that blew up, seriously where you aware of that?..........:eek:

Tweeder11 06-22-2012 16:03

For the Price...

You won't get better than a Kindle Fire.

At $200.00, for an individual that isn't tech-savy or trendy this is all you'll need and you'll save at least $200.00 against it's competitors.

Tweeder

Flagg 06-22-2012 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocIllinois (Post 454791)
My wife and kids have been using a Samsung Galaxy for quite a while now with no problems.

The accessory screen protector and case have done wonders for making it last, BTW.

Same Same......

On both Samsung Galaxy and case/screen protector.

My wife and I have the 7" Galaxy, and we both really recommend Samsung price/quality in this example.

Whichever tablet you decide to go with, strongly consider what type of use you will need out of it.

If someone gave me a 10" Samsung Galaxy or iPad it would probably gather dust...since I like to keep my smaller tablet in a pants pocket as I prefer the portability.

If I needed it just for lying on the couch reading/surfing I'd go with a 10" tablet.

Just my 0.02c

alelks 06-22-2012 18:37

OOPS!

DIYPatriot 06-23-2012 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenberetTFS (Post 454865)
DIYP

A little while back I heard about the Samsung Galaxy that blew up, seriously where you aware of that?..........:eek:

Holy Cow! I had not heard of that!!! I did a quick search and found this story. Is that the one to which you referred? If so, that is the Samsung Galaxy cell phone. I have one of those, too, and have never had that problem. However, it sounds pretty scary. I do know that the batteries in most of today's devices can get very hot and mine has heated up, but never to that extent.

Sigaba 06-23-2012 01:08

Can you play Farmville on that thing?

Does anyone have suggestions on which tablet is best suited for searching through, reading, and annotating .PDFs? I need a tablet that has the horsepower to handle a lot of PDFs. (I have about 35,800 of them. But I'm not OCD.:rolleyes:)

At present, I'm torn among the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, the Blackberry Playbook, and a pre-owned device from this website.

Also, what is the conventional wisdom on extended warranties with tablets?