Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Medical (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Toe Pain? (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44848)

Snaquebite 01-26-2014 09:47

Toe Pain?

Ok. I am having pain in the tip of my toe (R foot) next to my big toe X three weeks.

Pain is sharp and tender to the touch. Only at the very tip of the toe.
Has not subsided/increased.
No redness/swelling
No ingrown nail
No apparent foreign matter ie splinter
No recall of any injury ie stumping or kicking anything
Pain began slowly but developed quickly over a couple of days

Suffer from poor blood flow in all digits in cold weather including hands.

Current medications:
aspirin
carvedilol
Coumadin
benazepril
furosemide

I have tried soaking in warm/hot water with no results.

Should I just go ahead and amputate? :eek:

Dusty 01-26-2014 11:15

Gout.

Quit snivelling. ;)

Team Sergeant 01-26-2014 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty (Post 538928)
Gout.

Quit snivelling. ;)

Oh Snap! ;)

Snaquebite 01-26-2014 11:27

Damn Dusty...if I were sniveling, I wouldn't have considered amputation :rolleyes: Actually this boo boo really hurts and I live with other pain every day.

Dusty 01-26-2014 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaquebite (Post 538932)
Damn Dusty...if I were sniveling, I wouldn't have considered amputation :rolleyes: Actually this boo boo really hurts and I live with pain every day.

I feel ya.

Does anybody else remember that guy 15 or twenty years ago who kept telling his wife, kids, friends and doctor that his big toe hurt...BAD!?

Nobody would listen, so he shot the toe off down in his basement with a .45 and said, "Now, do you believe me?" True story.

Don't shoot your toe off, Snaquebite. Just go to a podiatrist and refuse to leave until he diagnoses and treats it...

cbtengr 01-26-2014 14:48

Certain foods are a trigger for gout, I was in my early 30's when I was diagnosed as having it. Up until then the only person I had ever heard complain about it was my grandma so I figured it was an old persons malady. I could not have been more wrong. That year for Christmas I had recd. a lot of items that contained chocolate and it seems I overdosed on it and it went right to my feet and I could barely walk. I saw my GP and he diagnosed it right away and told me to stay away from certain foods like chocolate, I did and the pain went away. Grandmas trigger was pork steak. By all means see your doc.

Koldsteel 01-26-2014 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 538962)
Certain foods are a trigger for gout, I was in my early 30's when I was diagnosed as having it. Up until then the only person I had ever heard complain about it was my grandma so I figured it was an old persons malady. I could not have been more wrong. That year for Christmas I had recd. a lot of items that contained chocolate and it seems I overdosed on it and it went right to my feet and I could barely walk. I saw my GP and he diagnosed it right away and told me to stay away from certain foods like chocolate, I did and the pain went away. Grandmas trigger was pork steak. By all means see your doc.

Nitrates in these foods are the culpret. Aged cheese, red wine, and processed meats are common high nitrate foods which exacerbate gout symptoms.

wook 01-27-2014 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty (Post 538956)
I feel ya.

Does anybody else remember that guy 15 or twenty years ago who kept telling his wife, kids, friends and doctor that his big toe hurt...BAD!?

Nobody would listen, so he shot the toe off down in his basement with a .45 and said, "Now, do you believe me?" True story.

Don't shoot your toe off, Snaquebite. Just go to a podiatrist and refuse to leave until he diagnoses and treats it...

I'm with Dusty on this one. I would see the podiatrist. Gout is on the differential, but there are several other ailments that can cause this as well.

Thanks.

Wook

Penn 03-14-2023 13:52

Hobbling around for several weeks now, finally made an appointment and the outcome was gout.

Quote:

While gout has had a long history of being associated with rich older men, in actual fact, gout can affect anyone of any age or sex. The condition is caused by a buildup of uric acid in the blood that accumulates as sharp crystals in the joints of your big toes.
Long term diet change is the right direction.

Eagle5US 03-14-2023 16:45

Below the waist -

Foot powder.

Still - see your Doc

In the meantime...Colchicine is good for Gout

Penn 03-14-2023 17:57

Colchicine is what was scripted, in addition to advil, and 2+ qt of water per day minimum.
What I thought was a disabling injury due to age, recent accident, and the culminating after effects of the shut down, becoming stationary, is in fact dietary.
As a professional french trained chef, I never considered looking at my diet, which from any POV is resourced as the finest product in the market place, in all food categories. Sometimes its hard to step back and examine your input into your own demise.
I'll start a food profile in the GG thread for this and other conditions that may benefit from a dietary change, but may not have the time or resources, to construct menus/recipes that enhance a good healthy lifestyle.

MR2 03-15-2023 10:53

Sitting is the new smoking... ;)