Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Advice sought on choice between pursuing JAG and pursuing SF (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19486)

jkyle 08-29-2008 09:33

Advice sought on choice between pursuing JAG and pursuing SF

Good Morning,

I am a student in law school. I am nearly certain that I will be joining the Army upon my passing the bar. I have both a passion for law and a strong desire to join your ranks.

The problem: I cannot do both simultaneously, and I desire both equally.

The resulting reality is that I must choose between applying for JAG and applying for the infamous 18x contract. That choice has many effects, both immediate and long-term. The differences in lifestyles and career paths of each a JAG officer and an enlisted SF soldier are obvious enough.

Both the profession of a military lawyer and the profession of an SF soldier are very serious. Whether it be defending a soldier facing life in prison or working in sensitive and tumultuous foreign environments, I may have the aptitude to excel in both. How should I make this choice?

I ask your opinions as you are the members of a profession I seek to join. I will seek counsel with JAG officers the moment I find a venue in which it is appropriate to do so.

In the interests of brevity, I have tried to boil down the choice with which I am confronted to what you have read above - if my situation here is insufficiently detailed, I am happy to add to it.

Please advise.

Respectfully,

Joe Kyle

JJ_BPK 08-29-2008 09:46

Joe

I just read your bio

Quote:

Biography: I'm a former USMA cadet on a mission to get back in.
Served in the following units: Inasmuch as it counts as a unit, USCC (F1 and H3)
1st thing that jumps out is your age,, 2nd the fact that you have already "tried" a couple different options,, and found them lacking for some reason(s)??

I would suggest you stick around,, do a bunch of searches & read what's already posted on the subject,, and complete your education.

You are the only one that can make the choise..

Good Luck..

The Reaper 08-29-2008 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkyle (Post 222752)
Good Morning,

I am a student in law school. I am nearly certain that I will be joining the Army upon my passing the bar. I have both a passion for law and a strong desire to join your ranks.

The problem: I cannot do both simultaneously, and I desire both equally.

The resulting reality is that I must choose between applying for JAG and applying for the infamous 18x contract. That choice has many effects, both immediate and long-term. The differences in lifestyles and career paths of each a JAG officer and an enlisted SF soldier are obvious enough.

Both the profession of a military lawyer and the profession of an SF soldier are very serious. Whether it be defending a soldier facing life in prison or working in sensitive and tumultuous foreign environments, I may have the aptitude to excel in both. How should I make this choice?

I ask your opinions as you are the members of a profession I seek to join. I will seek counsel with JAG officers the moment I find a venue in which it is appropriate to do so.

In the interests of brevity, I have tried to boil down the choice with which I am confronted to what you have read above - if my situation here is insufficiently detailed, I am happy to add to it.

Please advise.

Respectfully,

Joe Kyle

Joe:

Are you familiar with the search button?

You might want to use it before starting any further threads.

And review the rules and stickies while you are at it.

Good luck.

TR

Richard 08-29-2008 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkyle (Post 222752)

Sounds to me as if you've already made your choice as SF is neither for the undecided nor uncommitted. Good luck in law school. You may want to look into a Civil Affairs unit; I think they're a bit closer to what you have in mind.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

jkyle 08-29-2008 10:00

I was afraid that perhaps the mere existence of a choice was evidence enough that I am not suited.

I have searched for this question, but the questions tended more towards "Should I drop out of law school," or "Has anyone transferred from SF to JAG," etc.

Thank you for your respones. I had hoped not to waste your time.

Joe

Richard 08-29-2008 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkyle (Post 222766)
I was afraid that perhaps the mere existence of a choice was evidence enough that I am not suited.

Nobody said you weren't 'suited.' :boohoo

Go here and check in with these ffolkes--they'll give you plenty of info, offer you plenty of challenges and opportunities, they have units throughout Florida, and are aligned--IMOO--more with what your messages come across as telling us you'd like to do. You can join them while going to law school and get a good look at the full spectrum of SO, get to do some good training and gain some very useful experience, make a lot of good contacts for pursuing both a military and civilian career...and get your law degree. :lifter

http://www.usacapoc.army.mil/Default.aspx

GO FOR IT! :) And good luck.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Jack Moroney (RIP) 08-29-2008 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 222788)
http://www.usacapoc.army.mil/Default.aspx

GO FOR IT! :) And good luck.Richard's $.02 :munchin

Good advice and might I add you might want to consider that maturity does not come with age, but with experience. Richard's advice will solve both your present challenges.

kgoerz 08-29-2008 22:16

Every day I wonder. What if I would of became a Lawyer instead of 21 years in SF:D

JimP 09-04-2008 15:45

Dude - take the bar; pass it and then come in enlisted to SF and have the army pay off all your school loans. You'll have a ball. IF/IF you want to switch years later on down the road when that ruck starts getting awful heavy, you can get a direct commission and "bingo", you're a legal weenie. Too easy. That also gives you some insurance if for some reason you wash out of training.

Pete 09-04-2008 15:50

JimP

JimP;

Did you ever find time to post an intro and fill out your profile?

The Reaper 09-04-2008 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP (Post 223670)
Dude - take the bar; pass it and then come in enlisted to SF and have the army pay off all your school loans. You'll have a ball. IF/IF you want to switch years later on down the road when that ruck starts getting awful heavy, you can get a direct commission and "bingo", you're a legal weenie. Too easy. That also gives you some insurance if for some reason you wash out of training.

Do not post again till you have complied with the registration message and read the board rules.

We have no idea who you are or what position you are in to be dispensing advice.

TR

SF_BHT 09-04-2008 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 223673)
Do not post again till you have complied with the registration message and read the board rules.

We have no idea who you are or what position you are in to be dispensing advice.

TR

Guy told him to do the same on 3/24/08 Guess he can not read.....

JimP 09-05-2008 15:19

OK - hit the intro page; filled in my profile; read the rules for posting; anyone got a bottle...???

I'm sure I prolly jacked something up and will get someone's knickers notted. Just toss a rock at me and I'll get it square. Too easy. Jim

SF_BHT 09-05-2008 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP (Post 223807)
OK - hit the intro page; filled in my profile; read the rules for posting; anyone got a bottle...???

I'm sure I prolly jacked something up and will get someone's knickers notted. Just toss a rock at me and I'll get it square. Too easy. Jim

JimP
As a lawyer you should be observant enough and smart enough to understand and follow instructions on our board. We ask no more or no less to all SF and others.:D

For my 2 cents Get the chip off your shoulder and act prpoerly in your postings and respect the observations that 2 Mods/admins said and observations by other QP's here.

JimP 09-06-2008 12:40

ummmm, no chip here. Maybe you're confusing my lame attempt at humor with attitude; that's probably why I'll never make 20-star General. Anyways, I lurk a lot but rarely ever post, just trying to be quiet.