Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   10th Special Forces Group (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coming to Ft. Carson, Need Info (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17438)

D9 (RIP) 02-25-2008 13:11

Coming to Ft. Carson, Need Info

I'm coming out to Colorado this summer and need good recommendations from Gp guys there about where are good places to live for the commute and for schools for kids. We have 3 school age children, the oldest of which starts high-school this year.

Looking for a nice, quiet community with good schools near post where we won't pay out the nose for a 4-5 bedroom house. Good situation for the kids is the top priority, especially for the daughter starting high-school.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SF18C 02-25-2008 15:43

I always liked Fountain, it was close to Group/theback gate, for the most part very quite and not very expensive. But things change and I have heard that my little village has "grown up" a lot in the past few years.

D9 (RIP) 02-25-2008 20:51

Anybody on here have experience with Woodland Park? How's the commute?

I'm looking at Fountain as well.

NousDefionsDoc 02-25-2008 21:24

Who'd you piss off and how'd you do it?

mffjm8509 02-25-2008 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by D9 (Post 200847)
Anybody on here have experience with Woodland Park? How's the commute?

I'm looking at Fountain as well.

Woodland Park will give you +/- 30 min commute depending on WHERE in that area you live. We've got guys that live on the near end of the pass at Green Mountain Falls, and as far out as Florissant or Lake George at closer to an hour. Summer time adds quite a bit of time to the commute because of the tourists traveling up Ute pass on 24, which is the only route to and from work. Winter will cause you to miss work or sleep in the teamroom (or make a very long slow trip home) during bad weather. A lot of guys don't mind the commute because they like the community and its closer to other recreational areas in the state.

Your price range will probably have some impact on where you want to live around here. Woodland Park will be quite a bit higher to purchase a home than Fountain. New houses in Fountain are listing between 180K (2BR w/ unfinished basement) to 500K (high end 4BR on 1-5 acres) and homes in the 15-20 year old range are 130-200K Your money will go farther in Fountain.

Fort Carson School district 8 have some of the highest paid teachers and administrators in the state, and no debt despite new construction at several school locations. This is really due to the substantial DOD cash flow that supports the district. The schools are scheduled to grow quite a bit with the influx of a new brigade next year. There are other good schools in the area, but I'm a bit partial to FFCHS as my wife works there.

Another area I'd consider if I were moving here now would be Pueblo West. Property value is comparable to Fountain and a bit farther out but you have a fairly straight shot up I25 to the south gate on Fort Carson.

Feel free to contact me as your move gets closer.

mp

D9 (RIP) 02-26-2008 10:35

Excellent. Thanks for your help. I'm looking into those as we speak. Also looking at District 20 in N Colorado Springs but guessing the commute would be difficult.

Thanks.

As for pissing people off, LOL, it's a family based deal. The stepchildren need distance from Dad so they can get a little continuity during the school year. When you're telling a 6 year old that your going to put a bullet in the head of her stepfather, or he's going to die in Iraq, or soldiers usually beat their stepkids, it's time to move. He's got 2 DUIs and a domestic violence arrest. He fancies himself the Tony Soprano of Largo, FL.

Forget how I'd like to handle it if the kids weren't in the middle. They need a change of pace so they're not over there getting emotionally wrecked every third day. The guy has no ability to differentiate between feeding his wounded ego and the interests of his kids. I've been nobly silent up to this point, which is easier considering he's as brave as a titmouse whenever I'm around in person. But that can't last forever. A military move - so our attorney tells us - will be looked upon favorably by the court in terms of new visitation arrangements.

So will 3 months unpaid child support.

abnremf 02-26-2008 20:57

If your price range is in the +/- 300 range then the west side is a pretty good choice. We're having a house built off of Gold Camp road right now which is fairly close to post, not as close as Fountain but not a bad drive at all. FWIW, the average time into post this morning because of the snow was 45 minutes minimum regardless of where you were at.

HMass18Z 02-28-2008 13:07

D9 - I have lived in Pueblo West for almost 12 years and until I retired in Nov 07 made the 35-40 mile commute the the 10th grp compound every day in 35-40 minutes. When I bought my house in '96, I paid $102K . . . brand spankin' new on two acres, totally finished out. I am sure that it would cost more now . . but still cheaper than Colorado Springs. There are alot of new schools in School District 70, both of my kids graduated from P West HS and went on to graduate from Colorado State Univ. I enjoy living out here . . bigger lots and wide open spaces.

D9 (RIP) 02-28-2008 21:13

Cool, thanks a lot for the replies.

Ret10Echo 03-05-2008 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMass18Z (Post 201134)
D9 - I have lived in Pueblo West for almost 12 years and until I retired in Nov 07 made the 35-40 mile commute the the 10th grp compound every day in 35-40 minutes. When I bought my house in '96, I paid $102K . . . brand spankin' new on two acres, totally finished out. I am sure that it would cost more now . . but still cheaper than Colorado Springs. There are alot of new schools in School District 70, both of my kids graduated from P West HS and went on to graduate from Colorado State Univ. I enjoy living out here . . bigger lots and wide open spaces.

H,
You on the North or South Side?

Ret10Echo 03-06-2008 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF18C (Post 200824)
I always liked Fountain, it was close to Group/theback gate, for the most part very quite and not very expensive. But things change and I have heard that my little village has "grown up" a lot in the past few years.

I was up there last week for a conference and passed by the South gate on -25, the backup was crazy.

Understand they have plans in the works for upgrade/enlarge the access there to help with the traffic tie ups.

10+ years ago that was the easy way in and out. Took me less time from Pueblo West to work than it did for the guys coming down from Black Forest.

sean827 01-19-2015 10:38

Updates?

Hey guys I graduate the Q in a couple weeks headed to 10th, does anyone have any updated info on good places to buy in Colorado? Thank you!

rab97 01-20-2015 18:46

Do you have kids and what's your budget?

sean827 01-21-2015 15:45

Rab

I have one three year old, budget around 200,000 preferable... although i would consider more for a better neighborhood.

dollarbill 01-23-2015 22:16

I ETS'd out of Ft. Carson. I was stationed there for almost 3 years. We bought a house in Security,Co. and really enjoyed the area. This was several years back but was a nice area at the time. After I got out we bought several acers in South Dakota and rented the CO. house to a Captain for three years. He finally bought the house. Good luck and enjoy.