Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Gourmet Guerrilla (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Question on food carriers 1960's Style (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54004)

Golf1echo 11-29-2018 09:55

Question on food carriers 1960's Style

1 Attachment(s)
Many years back a veteran explained how he carried rice in socks during his time in the field in Vietnam. I like rice and have always been curious about a few things...was the rice cooked, how long would it stay edible, why a sock, etc...?

Turns out looks like other items...like yummy C rats... were carried in the same manner.

Just curious.

PSM 11-29-2018 10:19

It has to be cooked and dehydrated first. You can do it yourself or use Minute Rice or Uncle Ben's.

CSB 11-29-2018 10:20

1 Attachment(s)
That's a sock (cushion sole, OG green) filled with cans from C Rations.
How else do you carry a bunch of cans without clanging and bruising yourself
as they bounced around in your cargo pockets?

You can carry rice inside a sock if it's in a plastic bag such as battery wrapper for
the AN/PRC-25 and 77 (also famously used to cover the handset in the rain) or a
"chieu hoi" plastic baggie magazine pouch. It won't tolerate immersion, but it keeps the rice reasonably stored. After all, you are only looking at about a week or so.

I used to carry rice in a baby bottle, with an airtight cap.

You can cook it in a canteen cup, but you need to put some kind of cover over the top during the simmering phase.

JJ_BPK 11-29-2018 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSB (Post 647857)
That's a sock (cushion sole, OG green) filled with cans from C Rations.
How else do you carry a bunch

Agreed, We carried extra socks to change daily(if available) and they did muffle the cans.

Also, wet socks tend to dry better when they have the maximum surface area exposed. The can stretch helped.

As to rice, all I ever saw was the "minute" style, it rehydrated fast and was lighter volume wise. It came in disposable plastic bags,,, 1/2 or 1 lb?? Again it stretched the socks.

:munchin

twistedsquid 11-29-2018 11:23

I remember my Dad saying that he carried coffee in a sock, tied tightly with a knot. He would then simply chuck it in a pot of boiling water...

JJ_BPK 11-29-2018 11:44

Our only coffee was out of the C's. It was very weak and tasted funny. As most of my guys did not use the "condiment" pack I would collect them up and my morning breakfast drink was
  • 3-4 coffee packets
  • 2 chocolate drink packs
  • 4-6 sugar and creamer packs

Dumped into a full canteen cup of hot water,
It was a 60t's version of Starbucks Venti or Dunkin' Donuts Turbo Shot :D

My personalized mocha latte supremo stool softener and it worked :lifter

tom kelly 11-29-2018 16:15

STARBUCKS.????

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 647862)
Our only coffee was out of the C's. It was very weak and tasted funny. As most of my guys did not use the "condiment" pack I would collect them up and my morning breakfast drink was
  • 3-4 coffee packets
  • 2 chocolate drink packs
  • 4-6 sugar and creamer packs

Dumped into a full canteen cup of hot water,
It was a 60t's version of Starbucks Venti or Dunkin' Donuts Turbo Shot :D

My personalized mocha latte supremo stool softener and it worked :lifter

YOU SHOULD HAVE PATENTED THAT MIX....tom kelly

PSM 11-29-2018 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf1echo (Post 647853)
Many years back a veteran explained how he carried rice in socks during his time in the field in Vietnam. I like rice and have always been curious about a few things...was the rice cooked, how long would it stay edible, why a sock, etc...?

I answered a question you didn't ask, G1E. Someone on here mentioned carrying rice in a sock and placing the sock in a cargo pocket to re-hydrate it while crossing streams. That's what I thought you were asking about.

Golf1echo 11-30-2018 08:01

PSM...you can answer anything you like. I never thought some of these things through. I appreciate the insights.

"How else do you carry a bunch of cans without clanging and bruising yourself
as they bounced around in your cargo pockets?"
I love solutions like this, born out of necessity.

A pouch that stretches...took about 40 years to rediscover that with a 4 way stretch fabric like Crye uses. Wool has some amazing structure and qualities ( US Made. 50% Wool/30% Cotton/20% Nylon ).

Thank you.