Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Soapbox (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Protecting the Second Amendment – Why all Americans Should Be Concerned (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40772)

Divemaster 01-30-2013 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surgicalcric (Post 486845)
OMG!!!!! You guys are killing me...

I met one of your bros on a contract in the FLA panhandle last month. He had visited you at WR and gave you major props when speaking to me. Your attitude speaks volumes for you personally and for the brotherhood writ large.

Team Sergeant 01-30-2013 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF18C (Post 486846)
Apparently nothing else can!:lifter

Good one.;)

cactijoe 01-30-2013 21:58

cacti joe

great letter on the 2nd. during the looting during several of the hurricanes here in florida i confronted looters in my hood with my m-16 with 30 rd mag. they got the message. well regulated militia me thinks. don,t think muzzle loader would have gotten the job done.

Sdiver 01-30-2013 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF18C (Post 486846)
Apparently nothing else can!:lifter

Looks as if Chuck Norris is going to start checking under HIS bed for Crip. :eek: :D

Divemaster 01-30-2013 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdiver (Post 486895)
Looks as if Chuck Norris is going to start checking under HIS bed for Cric. :eek: :D

When Chuck Norris wants to kill something he asks Surgicalcric if he is ready to step up.

DocDougan 01-30-2013 22:46

Add my name to the petition

In the Peoples Republic of New York we're further along the rest of the country. Confiscation starts in earnest in April 2014. If you have PTSD or almost anyother psych label, your guns are gone. Walmart already has software programs in place to record every bullet you buy. You won't get pistol ammo without a pistol permit. My grandaughter's Remington .22 Viper is illegal in NY! She can register it now. Just makes it easier for them to conficate it next year. This is not hearsay. I have a copy of the law sitting on my desk. It's pretty ugly and it's going to get worse.

Uman 01-31-2013 00:32

Well done

We need to get this signed by as many as we can.

1stindoor 01-31-2013 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsoon65 (Post 486793)
Geez, now that's just too freakin' funny. My 2 year old is giving me funny looks because I was laughing so hard.

:)

I went from laughing to tears.

tonyz 01-31-2013 09:14

Somebody picked on the wrong girl...GLOCK advertisement.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=l6Ik8...%3Dl6Ik8qDR1SI

funnyman 01-31-2013 09:46

<sarc>
Poor guy, he was probably just abused as a child. She should have just tried to talk it through with him. A hug really helps in a situation like this.
</sarc>

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 486983)
Somebody picked on the wrong girl...GLOCK advertisement.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=l6Ik8...%3Dl6Ik8qDR1SI

tonyz 01-31-2013 10:42

"To limit the Second Amendment to muskets would be the equivalent of limiting the First Amendment to writing with quill pens. " Anonymous web poster

A link below to an organization (and links to reportedly 800 Mayors) that might benefit from reading the letter in the OP.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns..../members.shtml

ODA CDR (RET) 01-31-2013 10:52

I like this post...

One of the comments on our letter on NY firearms.com.

"The Green Berets are good people to have on your side."

shadowbox 01-31-2013 12:56

Everyone is on your side during the hurricane...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactijoe (Post 486886)
great letter on the 2nd. during the looting during several of the hurricanes here in florida i confronted looters in my hood with my m-16 with 30 rd mag. they got the message. well regulated militia me thinks. don,t think muzzle loader would have gotten the job done.

It's surprising how much safer our neighbors feel when we who govern ourselves and maintain our weapons are around during those times of emergency, yet have no idea "what possible reason" there might be for us to own them when the media hype begins. Perhaps this letter will bring some of them back to reason.

Outstanding letter gentlemen; it has been further disseminated.

-SD

BryanK 01-31-2013 13:22

I felt almost a sense of obligation to include this letter in a reply to my Congressman whom I've been in contact with recently. So I did :D. I'm not as well versed as you all are in these matters, and my writing style needs some polishing, but here is the reply to my Congressman I just sent out:

Congressman Hoyer,

I want to thank you for your response to my email. I would also like to present a few counter-arguments to some of your statements. Let me start with your initial statement of, and I quote, “The shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut have compelled the nation to reexamine how we can avoid such a senseless tragedy from occurring again.” I will try to be brief.

To me, as a constituent, I fail to see why it took a mass shooting to spark the outcry of an Administration who prior to this event, did not seem to attend to the plethora of communities and victims lost to gang violence, stabbings, rape, drugs, people being struck and killed by drunk/drugged drivers, people killed by distracted drivers, etcetera. I understand everyone wants the senselessness to end, but being realistic, none of the proposed resolutions regarding firearms themselves will curb any of the aforementioned crimes to include crimes where a firearm is used.

I agree with more thorough background checks; however I disagree with [quote] “banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines”. The term ‘assault weapon’ itself is very misleading. Just because a firearm in its appearance, looks like a military or law enforcement issued firearm, it is not. Anyone can dress like a duck, but that does not make them a duck. A determined assailant can do just as much damage with 3 ten-round magazines as they could with a thirty-round magazine with little to no training. Even if firearms were abolished altogether, that would not stop criminals who are committed to do harm from illegally obtaining firearms to completing that goal. There are several examples around the globe that echo this statement.

I believe, as do many others, that the problem lies with so-called ‘gun control’ itself. Obstructing law-biding citizens from their inalienable right to possess arms just empowers criminals that much more to commit crimes. Most of the crimes which involve firearms occur in heavily legislated, gun-free metropolitan areas, and outlying areas. There are statistics from various sources which verify this. There are also other statistics that can be interpreted in either direction; be it in favor of further gun control, or against gun control in its entirety. My question to you Congressman Hoyer, is how are you interpreting these statistics, and how are you representing your constituents who have the common-sense approach of further gun control not being a viable solution?

I would like to propose solutions, however a more eloquent proposal has already been written by, and signed by, over one thousand active duty and retired members of the elite military organization, the United States Army Special Forces; also known as ‘Green Berets’. I have attached their open letter titled “Protecting the Second Amendment” to this email. I challenge you to read this letter, and to ponder the facts and solutions suggested therein.

In conclusion, I want to thank you again for your taking the time to read my correspondence, and I look forward to your reply. This is a very turbulent time in our Nation, and any decisions regarding the Rights granted to us by the U.S. Constitution should not be acted upon forthwith without due diligence and considerations of all the facts. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX

hso 01-31-2013 13:30

Well said!

The FBI UCR shows 12,644 murders took place in 2011. 323 of those were committed with rifles. That's only 2.5% of all murders and those were committed with every type and caliber of rifle. (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8) Some states collect more detailed information on semi vs. bolt vs. lever/pump rifles that would identify the number of semiauto rifles used in murders. In my state, less than a quarter of the rifles used in murders were semiauto (no information on what type of semi was collected). If we assume that 1/4 of the 323 rifles used in murders in 2011 were semis, there were less than 80 of these rifles used in murders, or 0.6%. Six tenths of a percent??!? This tiny number can't rationally be the basis for national policy or legislation.

The UCR Five Year Trend graph (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...offense-figure) shows that violent crimes dropped by 220,000 since 2007. This drop has occurred while the very firearms proposed for banning have become more and more popular for recreation, competition, hunting, personal defense. More importantly, both have occurred while the rates of murder have dropped since the expiration of the AWB. These out of date and out of touch politicians with their out of date and out of touch proposals want want to reinstate the failed AWB of '94 regardless of the data showing their solutions will not reduce violent crime rates. This can’t rationally be the basis for national policy or legislation.

The murder rate is at the lowest point in a generation, this has occurred since the failed AWB expired, the firearms to be banned and their magazines have become more popular for law abiding citizens and politicians can’t come up with any new ideas for identifying the root cause of violent crime and murder or for identifying real meaningful changes that will reduce the rates of murder or violent crime. There's no risk basis for trying to prohibit law abiding citizens owning, purchasing, or selling these firearms and their magazines.

Once again you gentlemen have done a service to the nation.

tonyz 01-31-2013 17:04

It's about natural rights...

One man's thoughts on the subject at hand in a 2 minute YouTube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4n8e...layer_embedded

Team Sergeant 01-31-2013 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 487072)
One man's thoughts on the subject at hand in a 2 minute YouTube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4n8e...layer_embedded

Great video.

I agree, it's about natural rights.

Some people "get it".

The Reaper 01-31-2013 19:49

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like we are not the only ones with a letter.

I like the way this is headed.

Grassroots!

TR

BKKMAN 01-31-2013 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 487149)

Grassroots!

TR

Great letter...my favorite line (amongst so many great ones):

Quote:

One need look no further than the embarrassment of New York’s Combined Ballistic Identification System that devoured $44 million in taxpayer money over 11 years to regulate lawful gun ownership and which resulted in no convictions of anyone for anything to illustrate the non-complicity of lawful gun-owners in recent events.
How tasty was that $44 million dollar turd? :eek::rolleyes:

Badger52 01-31-2013 20:27

Quote:

Grassroots!

TR

Agree, fine letter. I don't think they ever intended to get any push-back from someone who can be articulate, given their view of the peasantry they want to control. Such assumptions can be a critical mistake.

PSM 01-31-2013 21:05

Quote:

Grassroots!

TR

Geez. They're still using typewriters in Saratoga County? :eek:

Pat

BOfH 01-31-2013 22:59

Quote:

Grassroots!

TR

Nothing like NY polecats :rolleyes: :mad:

Quote:

"The more that they understand the law and the more they hear about the law, the better they are going to feel because it has nothing to do with the legitimate ownership of a gun..."
- Gov. Cuomo

Quote:

"You can’t give more ammo to the criminals."
- State Sen. Eric Adams when finding out that NYSAFE does not explicitly exclude LEO

Hmm, if this has nothing to do legitimate gun ownership, and a state senator admits that criminals don't follow laws(duh!) even though the entire intent of the bill was to prevent criminals from doing just that, then who does NYSAFE apply to?

Badger52 02-01-2013 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOfH (Post 487199)
then who does NYSAFE apply to?

New York Serfs Against Feudal Empires - we all know it's about control.

Jleebron 02-01-2013 06:33

Well said

I have been sending this letter on to others who need to read these well written lines regarding the rights that are ours. The challenges to the Constitution are more fierce than ever, and we have sworn an oath to protect and defend this Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I did not cease believing the oath when I took off the uniform and never will. Thank you.

Morumbi97 02-01-2013 10:13

To the QP's who drafted and signed the letter, thank you! I have sent a copy to all of my representatives (UT) in DC and I've encouraged many others to do the same. I also sent a "thank you" letter to my county Sheriff (for drafting and signing the letter from the Utah Sheriff's Association, and a link to the letter from the QP's.

"Honorable Senator Hatch,

Regarding the attack on the 2nd Amendment and the American people, I urge you to read this letter (below)from a group of over 1100 U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers (Green Berets, who's 19th SFG(A)is HQ'd in Utah). It is the one of the clearest explanations and most compelling statements in favor of protecting our natural right to keep and bear arms that I have read. I agree with it completely and ask you to fight for this cause against President Obama, Vice President Biden, Senator Feinstein and all those who seek to attack this right. I thank you for reading my email and the attached letter.

Earnestly,
Michael Hayter"

(letter copied and link attached)

Team Sergeant 02-01-2013 11:15

I've had one or two folks (out of hundreds) question the authenticity the 1100 signers.
Ladies and gent's the signers were not SOF (Special Operations) personnel, they were Special Forces soldiers. There is only one unit in the United States military called Special Forces and they are also known as the "Green Berets". This letter was signed by over 1100 "Green Berets". More have asked to sign it but we took down the website.

Currently there are hundreds of former, retired and active duty "Green Berets" on this website. But please don't take my word on the subject, if anyone doubts we didn't have over 1100 please speak up and allow the hundreds of Green Berets on this website to answer. Everyone that has a "Quiet Professional" title on this website is a verified Special Forces soldier, aka a "Green Beret". Feel free to send any of them a message and ask about the letter.

Also hundreds of you have joined in the last 72 hours and are about to post for the first time. Before you do go to our rules section and read it again.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ead.php?t=3452

If you wish to post on this board your first post should go into the "Introductions" thread. This allows the other members to get an idea of whom they're speaking with.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=36757

If you take a look around this website you'll notice a few things, there's no advertising and we don't sell anything. This website is dedicated to the Special Forces soldier, it's a website for us to discuss and catch up with old friends. As a courtesy we opened up the forums to the general public to interact and ask questions. That said we have very little tolerance for trolls or trouble makers. You don't need to agree with us, in fact we enjoy a spirited debate, all we ask is that you keep it civil.
Team Sergeant

sinjefe 02-01-2013 11:36

I proudly signed it!

Divemaster 02-01-2013 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 487267)

Currently there are hundreds of former, retired and active duty "Green Berets" on this website. But please don't take my word on the subject, if anyone doubts we didn't have over 1100 please speak up and allow the hundreds of Green Berets on this website to answer. Everyone that has a "Quiet Professional" title on this website is a verified Special Forces soldier, aka a "Green Beret". Feel free to send any of them a message and ask about the letter.

Team Sergeant

Signed it.

alelks 02-01-2013 11:47

A proud signer!

Snaquebite 02-01-2013 11:53

Yep...Signed it :lifter

jkirkthomas 02-01-2013 13:23

I signed it!

Combat Diver 02-01-2013 13:23

Another proud signer

CD

Badger52 02-01-2013 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 487267)
I've had one or two folks (out of hundreds) question the authenticity the 1100 signers.
Ladies and gent's the signers were not SOF (Special Operations) personnel, they were Special Forces soldiers. There is only one unit in the United States military called Special Forces and they are also known as the "Green Berets". This letter was signed by over 1100 "Green Berets". More have asked to sign it but we took down the website.

TS, I caught a blogsphere post covering this and the owner remarked, with some perception I thought, that one ought not to necessarily take the number of signators as the sole benchmark. Rather, aspiring despots ought to consider those still out there who didn't get to sign it at the time for whatever reason. Most of the glacier is under the surface kinda thing.

That was worth a :cool:

Also, it's gratifying to see that some are starting to focus on the balanced nature of what was actually suggested - words matter. A position with substance & suggestions as well. That is a good thing.

alelks 02-01-2013 13:54

Over 1,100 signatures were collected in about 60 hours. There are MANY more who if given the opportunity would have gladly signed it. This was done in VERY short notice and we did very well. :lifter

It's a shame that some of the more radical sites are using it to promote their agenda and it is to be noted that we do not support those agendas.

bluebb 02-01-2013 15:06

signed it.

Pericles 02-01-2013 15:25

Excellent - thanks to all involved.

SF_BHT 02-01-2013 15:34

Yep...Signed it :D:lifter

Beef 02-01-2013 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by alelks (Post 487305)
Over 1,100 signatures were collected in about 60 hours. There are MANY more who if given the opportunity would have gladly signed it. This was done in VERY short notice and we did very well. :lifter

It's a shame that some of the more radical sites are using it to promote their agenda and it is to be noted that we do not support those agendas.

Would have signed it, given the opportunity and guarantee all of my SFA chapter (79) would have signed. Our most popular scholarship fund raiser was an M-4 carbine raffle. That being said, as you may recall, Homeland Security sent out a memo a few years ago listing potential domestic terrorist groups to monitor. Military veterans and groups were prominently listed. With quite a bit of backlash and little to no apology. I believe this was done based on our obviously vocal willingness to uphold our oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

MR2 02-01-2013 16:12

Signed it.

One of my favorite comments about the statement so far was:

Those Green Berets don't just have our six, they have our 360!

Gypsy 02-01-2013 18:40

As I'm reading through this thread I cannot help but think how proud the Colonel and Big Teddy would be.

This was my letter to my Congressman. I'm still working on the letter to the Lt Gov of IL who wrote about how she comes from a hunting family. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Congressman Roskam

Thank you for your response, I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I agree that more work needs to be done to prohibit criminals and the mentally unstable from obtaining weapons.

You may or may not have seen this document that has been posted on the internet within the past 24-48 hours, so I am attaching it for you to read. This is a well thought out and informative piece and was originally posted at www.professionalsoldiers.com. It is a Military community made up of mostly active duty and retired Special Forces Soldiers. Their names are not on this public document as many are still active duty, but I would imagine some would be quite happy to speak or correspond with you.

Illinois, and more specifically Chicago, has the most strict gun laws in place and yet the news is filled with reports of more shootings every evening. The laws that are in place have not stopped the shootings, the only people who cannot protect themselves are the law abiding citizens. We don't need more gun laws, we need a review or revamping the existing laws but not at the expense of the Second Amendment.

It is imperative we uphold the Second Amendment, many people I've spoken with feel the current administration (both in Washington and in Illinois) would love nothing more than to abolish it. Thank you for reading, we must protect the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

Best regards,