Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Civlian Vs. Military (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5162)

Max_Tab 01-11-2005 10:56

Civlian Vs. Military

I was on block leave the past couple of weeks, and my interaction with a number of non military friends made me realize that there is a huge differance between our mentality and there's.
Example... my wife was visiting a friend of hers, so I went to check in at our hotel, and my wifes friends, husband came with me. As I was bringing in all of our bags, I also brought in my pistol that I alway's travel with and laid it on the night stand. His eyes got really big and he got a little nervous, like that was the most absurd thing he'd ever seen. Then about 10 min's later, I needed to open up a package and I pulled out my knife and once again he looked at me strangely and asked me "where are you from."
That is just one example of what I'm talking about. Things that we think are common place and "normal" to some people they seem extreme.
Anyone else have any examples?

Jack Moroney (RIP) 01-11-2005 11:14

I think the biggest difference I have seen are the way my kids show respect for others and, at least when they were young'ns, for adults. They did what they were told to do the first time without negotiation. It was so unusual that my sister in law's kids would refer to me, behind my back of course, as the Great Santini. On the adult side, most civilians usually enter into a case of serve shock when you do exactly what you said you were going to do.

Jack Moroney

Razor 01-11-2005 12:21

When we moved into our house after I got out, we were sodding the front lawn (approx. 2500 sqft). One of our neighbors came over to help, and five minutes into picking up sod rolls and putting them on the ground (not even unrolling and mating up the edges, mind you) he said in all seriousness, "This is the toughest thing I've ever done in my life." I was at a complete loss of words.

Roguish Lawyer 01-11-2005 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_Tab
I was on block leave the past couple of weeks, and my interaction with a number of non military friends made me realize that there is a huge differance between our mentality and there's.
Example... my wife was visiting a friend of hers, so I went to check in at our hotel, and my wifes friends, husband came with me. As I was bringing in all of our bags, I also brought in my pistol that I alway's travel with and laid it on the night stand. His eyes got really big and he got a little nervous, like that was the most absurd thing he'd ever seen. Then about 10 min's later, I needed to open up a package and I pulled out my knife and once again he looked at me strangely and asked me "where are you from."
That is just one example of what I'm talking about. Things that we think are common place and "normal" to some people they seem extreme.

LMAO -- I had the same reaction while dining at the 316 Oyster Bar in Fayetteville. Guys were pulling knives out in the restaurant, and it was pretty weird to see that.

You want to see people who live on a different planet? Come visit me in West LA and I'll show you a bizarre new world! LOL

NousDefionsDoc 01-11-2005 13:08

Quote:

It was so unusual that my sister in law's kids would refer to me, behind my back of course, as the Great Santini
Why is it that I can visualize this? Bwaaa! Great movie. I would consider it a compliment sports fans. :)

Trip_Wire (RIP) 01-11-2005 13:35

Quote:

Yes, I understand what you are saying here. I'd just like a little clarification on your discription of a so called "civilian" status.

I served over 30 years in the Air Force Reserve & ANG & Regular Army & reserve to include time in the Rangers and over ten years in SF. I also retired from a Sheriff's department as a Lt. after 34 years of service. (King County Sheriff, Seattle, WA)

Since I'm retired from all of these things and spend my time enjoying my retirements I guess most people would class me as a civilian, since I'm no longer on any type of active duty, etc.

As a "Civilian?" I carry a concealed weapon (Pistol) any time I leave my residance, I also always have a folding knive on my person as well. (Benchmark - Emerson CQC7)
I always have an HK .45 with light attached on my nightstand, next to my bed.

So, as a "civilian," how does my "mindset" differ from yours, in non military duty related things? :rolleyes:

Kyobanim 01-11-2005 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor
When we moved into our house after I got out, we were sodding the front lawn (approx. 2500 sqft). One of our neighbors came over to help, and five minutes into picking up sod rolls and putting them on the ground (not even unrolling and mating up the edges, mind you) he said in all seriousness, "This is the toughest thing I've ever done in my life." I was at a complete loss of words.

He must be a programmer :D

Max_Tab 01-11-2005 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip_Wire
Yes, I understand what you are saying here. I'd just like a little clarification on your discription of a so called "civilian" status.

I served over 30 years in the Air Force Reserve & ANG & Regular Army & reserve to include time in the Rangers and over ten years in SF. I also retired from a Sheriff's department as a Lt. after 34 years of service. (King County Sheriff, Seattle, WA)

Since I'm retired from all of these things and spend my time enjoying my retirements I guess most people would class me as a civilian, since I'm no longer on any type of active duty, etc.

As a "Civilian?" I carry a concealed weapon (Pistol) any time I leave my residance, I also always have a folding knive on my person as well. (Benchmark - Emerson CQC7)
I always have an HK .45 with light attached on my nightstand, next to my bed.

So, as a "civilian," how does my "mindset" differ from yours, in non military duty related things? :rolleyes:

Sir I hardly consider you a civilian :)

Ambush Master 01-11-2005 20:11

#1 Son, Air.177 in here, first year in school, first "Parent-Teacher" Conference.

Teacher: He's a very attentive child, but his Wild Tales about shooting MACHINEGUNS are a bit far fetched!!

Me: What's far fetched about them ??

Teacher: Well his imagination is just a bit on overdrive, if you know what I mean.

Me: What Imagination ??

Teacher: Well about him shooting machineguns !!!

Me: Lady, you need to learn how to tell when someone is telling the TRUTH !

Teacher: OH MY GOD !!!!! :eek:

Ended up with a VERY understanding and co-operative relationship with the schools ever since !!! :D

Ambush Master 01-11-2005 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
LMAO -- I had the same reaction while dining at the 316 Oyster Bar in Fayetteville. Guys were pulling knives out in the restaurant, and it was pretty weird to see that.

You want to see people who live on a different planet? Come visit me in West LA and I'll show you a bizarre new world! LOL

Not to mention when we got back to the Hotel, RL came by my room for a couple of beers and I got comfortable. Two pistols out on the table !!!

Jack Moroney (RIP) 01-12-2005 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambush Master
#1 Son, Air.177 in here, first year in school, first "Parent-Teacher" Conference.

You just reminded me of my wife's first phone call from the school. Apparently when my youngest was asked by his teacher why he was so well behaved he told the teacher, "My dad said if I didn't behave he would break both my legs". We came very close to having a visit from the social worker on that one. :o

Jack Moroney

Bill Harsey 01-12-2005 08:54

Quote:

Max Tab, Nothing is wrong with you but while you and others have been busy protecting the rights of these peace loving folks, their culture of not having to take care of themselves has been accelerating at near light speed in it's own direction.

You should the look on somes face (like a particular female "major parcel delivery service" driver) when they walk in the shop door here..."You make what?" " What kind of knives are those?" I'm very careful with my answers and never use the word "tactical" etc. Don't have to, they still show the quiet panic like they have stumbled into some dark underworld activity.

I don't try to explain, just be nice, sign the electronic pad and say "Thanks for the package!" so they can run back to the truck and race away.

Bill Harsey 01-12-2005 09:07

Greatest cultural diference I've seen.

Because of the Yarborough Knife project both Chris Reeve and myself have on a couple occasions visited Ft. Bragg N.C. There has been no higher honor in my professional life because of the quality of people we have and are working for.

After the first trip to Ft. Bragg I returned home that June afternoon to Eugene Oregon and drove thru downtown on the way back out to the country. I remember, I needed something from the flyfishing shop and it is within a couple blocks of Eugenes famous Saturday Market which is the biggest collection of tie-dye wearing, dread locked haired white dope smoking hippies ***UNCHANGED FROM THE LATE 60's!*** That you can find gathered anywhere on this planet.

I have observed no greater possible cultural difference than this.

Roguish Lawyer 01-12-2005 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambush Master
Not to mention when we got back to the Hotel, RL came by my room for a couple of beers and I got comfortable. Two pistols out on the table !!!

A couple? :confused:

Ambush Master 01-12-2005 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
A couple? :confused:

OK, OK ONE Beer !!!!

Right after another !!!! :D