Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Be Prepared (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10819)

7624U 03-31-2020 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 657452)

At this point, for the long-term, I propose solar primary power with a battery bank and a smaller LP generator to handle higher load periods and to charge batteries. It isn't cheap though.

TR

agree with this, been looking at having a off grid tool shed that I could use all power tools and equipment with panels during peak sun and some type of generator to charge batteries at night and run 12 volt RV lighting. even looking into steam power for the generator on duel truck Alternators. would not need something this big http://solarhomestead.com/our-steam-...ttery-charger/
because I would not run a whole house on it.

https://otherpower.com/steamengine.html more this one is what I am thinking about

JJ_BPK 03-31-2020 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 657452)

I recommend diesel, propane, or natural gas for generators.

Gasoline storage sufficient to power long-term needs is an expensive and time-consuming chore.

Diesel has some of the same issues as gasoline, and natural gas is dependent on the power to its distribution system.

At this point, for the long-term, I propose solar primary power with a battery bank and a smaller LP generator to handle higher load periods and to charge batteries. It isn't cheap though.

TR

100% agree with TR

To Add: In several of the 13? hurricanes we lived thru in the Key's 20yrs ago We gained some insights.

1)Diesel tops for gen-sets, boats, vehicles BUT you need to understand your resupply chain and consumption. The state, county & FEMA set delivery schedules and priorities. #1, all fuels went to LEO's, FD's and medical facilities, then to food services like grocery store gen-sets. The same rules for gas & LP. If you want the fuel, understand your use rates and plan a large supply.

2)Solar has become the #1 but it isn't economical on a small scale. Again build at least 50% over your max usage and for the battery bank as big as you can, w/ a stand-alone diesel gen-set.

3)for small operations like a camp(under 500sqft?) there are good wind generator kits and battery packs that will keep the lights lit and modest charging abilities for tools and communications. Also well as on-site back-up to solar when the sun doesn't shine. Remember the wind blows at nite..

My $00.0002

PS: For the hardcorp preppers,, wind generators don't make noise..

PSM 03-31-2020 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 657472)

PS: For the hardcorp preppers,, wind generators don't make noise..

Oh yes they do! Our nearest neighbor is about a mile away and when the wind is from his direction we can hear his easily. I chose not to do wind after visiting some sites that had them and listening to boats moored nearby that had them. "Not my thing."

JJ_BPK 03-31-2020 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 657477)
Oh yes they do! Our nearest neighbor is about a mile away and when the wind is from his direction we can hear his easily. I chose not to do wind after visiting some sites that had them and listening to boats moored nearby that had them. "Not my thing."

Thanks.
I have been near a couple with 2-3ft blades and they seemed near soundless,,
OR maybe my hearing is as bad as the g-kids whisper to me :D

PSM 03-31-2020 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 657480)
Thanks.
I have been near a couple with 2-3ft blades and they seemed near soundless,,
OR maybe my hearing is as bad as the g-kids whisper to me :D

It's the blades whooping like a Huey that's the problem. I've seen many new blade designs that are attempting to solve the problem, though. The other thing I learned was the added danger when maintenance is needed unless you invest in a retractable mast. It just didn't make sense for the little and inconsistent power it would provide.

PSM 10-16-2020 22:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 474854)
I'm thinking that, since we only use about 100 gals. a day, running the pump off the solar system for about 10 min. a day is doable.

Some pix:

OK. We replaced the 24 red flooded 2v lead-acid batteries today with 4 12v lithium batts. I have another steep learning curve here, but so does our solar guy. This is his first lithium install. There are very few totally off-grid solar folks here and we are the only residential that he has. He has an orchard farmer that is interested in upgrading also.

I was quoting post 774 above. The before before pix didn't follow the quote.

Also, the price for replacement was almost identical. The lead-acid were still good for another year or so, but the market has been kind to me and I was fed up with the maintenance.

Badger52 10-17-2020 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 663180)
OK. We replaced the 24 red flooded 2v lead-acid batteries today with 4 12v lithium batts. I have another steep learning curve here, but so does our solar guy. This is his first lithium install. There are very few totally off-grid solar folks here and we are the only residential that he has. He has an orchard farmer that is interested in upgrading also.

I was quoting post 774 above. The before before pix didn't follow the quote.

Also, the price for replacement was almost identical. The lead-acid were still good for another year or so, but the market has been kind to me and I was fed up with the maintenance.

Thanks for the pic. Holy Cow! what a difference in footprint!
:lifter

JJ_BPK 10-17-2020 06:37

for the OCD "I need more depth of coverage"

Wind turbines and solar-pannels can be augmented with a water-wheel system. :lifter

Water-wheel charging with a car alternator. The key is to use a drive wheel that is signifacantly larger than the pully on the alternator, like a 30+ inch bike rim?

https://www.google.com/search?client...sclient=psy-ab

Extended Use: rig a pump so the the generated power pumps water back up to your hooch :munchin

Sacamuelas 10-19-2020 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 663180)

I haven't found Lithium 12v prices anywhere close to Lead acid. Please post your source/business you are using for parts. I am very interested.

Also, I know you won't need as many amp hours with lithium compared to lead acid.... Are those 12v /50amp hour lithiums?

PSM 10-19-2020 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacamuelas (Post 663189)
I haven't found Lithium 12v prices anywhere close to Lead acid. Please post your source/business you are using for parts. I am very interested.

Also, I know you won't need as many amp hours with lithium compared to lead acid.... Are those 12v /50amp hour lithiums?

I wasn't replacing 12v batts. We had 24 2v deep-discharge batts. The 2v batts were Rolls Surrette 1300+ Ah and each was roughly $400 and 130#.

And, since we put in 4 new Simpliphi batteries I figured that they were 12v but they are each 48v. (My solar guy rattles off numbers like I actually speak his language.) Each is 75 Ah for a total of 300 Ah. They each weigh about 78 pounds. They cost about $2500 each. (The total replacement price doesn't look the same at first, but the labor to install 24 batts is a lot more than to install 4. ;) )

The Reaper 10-19-2020 11:58

24 lead acid batteries is a metric buttload of maintenance.

TR

PSM 10-19-2020 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 663191)
24 lead acid batteries is a metric buttload of maintenance.

TR

That's why I replaced them early. In the summer I had to add water every week. And, because they were so tall, I had to wear a headlamp and use a turkey baster and mirror so I didn't under or over fill them. In the winter I only had to do that once a month. Four times a year I had to equalize them and that was dependent on the cloud coverage. And twice a year we'd have to go to the backup gennie so we could clean the terminals. All-in-all, it wasn't too bad but now I don't have to do any of that.

G2squared 11-09-2020 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacamuelas (Post 663189)

FWIW,
Lithium batteries will be more expensive, but it’s the trade off in maintenance and power cycles ( typically rated over 2000 full discharges, you kill lead acid batteries very quickly doing that) and draw capabilities that you’re paying for. I bought a few 108Ah batteries for replacing failed 6V 70Ah deep cycle batteries in my travel trailer. They were from Costco and cost about $700 each. They only weigh 28lbs so are easily removed for theft prevention. Also found a few smaller 20Ah units for running radios and the grill when outside away from an outlet so I don’t have to run a generator. The smaller ones can be found with little searching.

Solar is great but expensive initially. BEWARE (for those who don’t know) if going with the sales pitch from your local HD, many systems are being sold with no capability to generate power unless there is power on your incoming lines already. So if the power goes out, they are worthless as backup. The issue is around meeting code and protecting linemen doing repairs. Then installing the right power inverter that those companies don’t sell. It’s just stupid. But there’s a bunch of wall flowers out there feeling good about themselves for doing this type of install.
If you’ve got running water near by, then it’s the Gold Standard for self sufficient
power. Battery bank is still typically needed for surge loads, but a water wheel running continuously, even a small one, will make a lot of power over time.
G2

PSM 11-10-2020 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by G2squared (Post 663635)
...power cycles ( typically rated over 2000 full discharges, you kill lead acid batteries very quickly doing that) and draw capabilities that you’re paying for.
G2

The SimpliPhi warranty is 10 years and 10,000 cycles if the Depth of Discharge (DoD) is limited to 80%. Five thousand cycles if the DoD is limited to 90% and 3500 cycles to 100%. So far, in the 3 weeks that we've been using them, we haven't gone below 95%.

Old Dog New Trick 01-19-2021 12:56

5 Attachment(s)
Just rummaging around the garage today...

The “instructions” paper came out of that brand new butt pack which is probably from the ‘70s or ‘80s...:cool:

And a few books and new knife still in package from the wayback machine. :lifter

ETA: Man, this day just keeps getting better and better - last picture!