Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Be Prepared (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10819)

Defender968 05-02-2010 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe (Post 328540)
If washing clothing was discussed in the thread, my apologies. I see where the topic was brought up, but I can't find where it was discussed. I skimmed through the thread, searched on site, and did a google forum search for "wash clothes", "outhouse","laundry" "washboard" and other permutations.

If it was discussed, does anyone know the page?

If it wasn't discussed, how do folks here figure on handling laundry and other similar sanitation issues in a crisis lasting long enough for your clothes to stay standing when you take them off? Does anyone have a washboard, tub, and an adequate quantity of soap and experience using it?

Clothes can be washed using a washboard which you can still get or which could be easily fabricated using scrap wood and aluminum or galvanized flashing if needed. If you've got somewhere to go/hold up a roll of aluminum and or galvanized flashing is a great supply to have on hand, it's easy to work with, inexpensive and can be used for lots of things. In a pinch however you could also use a bar of soap the old fashion way. Having a sufficient quantity of soap on hand (and access to clean water of course) to last the duration of the event is the big issue when it comes to disaster planning IMO. I currently have plenty of bar laundry soap (Fels Naptha) stockpiled, the bars last a long time, I've been using it for treating stains for years, my grandmother swears by it and so do I (it works like a champ, takes out ink, blood, you name it, it's saved more than a few pieces of clothes for me). I'm not sure how long a bar would last if I were using them to clean larger quantity of clothes, my best guess is that a bar (properly dried out) would last a family of four a month or so, obviously YMMV. On top of being very effective at cleaning clothes/taking out stains, 12 bars take up very little space and would provide a sufficient supply for several months at the very least.

I stocked up last time I was up north because it's a little tough to find in the south, but you can find online at the link below.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=143758942

For those who don't want to have to fabricate one, they still make washboards, and they're relatively inexpensive.

http://cox-dev.com/p-7343-clothes-wa...-24-12-in.aspx

Pete 05-02-2010 10:39

Waterproof Bag

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe (Post 328540)
......If it wasn't discussed, how do folks here figure on handling laundry and other similar sanitation issues in a crisis lasting long enough for your clothes to stay standing when you take them off?......

All depends on what facilities each person has and the amount of water available.

Old school was to place some cloths in a waterproof bag, add soap and a little water, twist the top shut, roll and shake a while, open, wring out, clean bag add freash water and repeat for the rinse cycle. Hang in the shade to dry.

Stains I could live with, just want to get the stink, dirt and salt out.

mugwump 09-13-2010 09:50

Costco Mountain House 53% Off List

Costco has a good web-only deal if you're a member -- $60 off of their already good price, although the package includes <shudder> their eggs. Eighteen #10 cans for $279 while they last. Number 10 cans might be problematic for a small household because after opening they have to be consumed fairly quickly.

Link to Costco-Mountain House

From the page:

From the makers of Mountain House, Oregon Freeze Dry introduces NEW Easy Meals. All of the Easy Meal products are created with the same superior quality and taste you have enjoyed from Oregon Freeze Dry for over 40 years. Every Easy Meal item is fully cooked and then freeze-dried. Most all of the Easy Meal items just require water.

The Easy Meal package offers a mixed case of lunch and dinner entrée’s, breakfast entrée’s and fruit, and ingredients. Now you can have a quick hearty meal or vegetable wherever hot water is available. Easy Meals are shelf stable and a perfect solution for any emergency situation. In addition, Easy Meals are ideal for a family get-togethers, potlucks, group feeding or simply when you don’t have time to cook.

Shipment arrives in 1 bundle that contains 3 separate boxes
Total Servings: 302
Shelf Life: 25+ year if unopened (on all items)
Best if used by date printed on all cans

The Easy Meal package contains 18 #10 (gallon size) cans. See below for package contents:

Breakfast Case:
1 can of Scrambled Eggs with Ham & Red & Green Peppers (17 servings)
1 can of Breakfast Skillet (10 servings)
1 can of Granola with Milk & Blueberries (20 servings)
1 can of Scrambled Eggs with Bacon (16 servings)
1 can of Raw Egg Mix, Butter Flavor (50 servings) – Requires cooking
1 can of Sliced Strawberries (16 servings)
Entrée Case:

1 can of Lasagna with Meat Sauce (10 servings)
1 can of Pasta Primavera, Vegetarian (11 servings)
1 can of Beef Teriyaki with Rice (11 servings)
1 can of Beef Stroganoff with Noodles (10 servings)
1 can of Chicken Teriyaki with Rice (9 servings)
1 can of Chili Mac with Beef (10 servings)
Ingredient Case:

1 can of Cooked Diced Beef (15 servings)
1 can of Cooked Diced Chicken (14 servings)
1 can of Cooked Ground Beef (18 servings)
1 can of Garden Green Peas (23 servings)
1 can of Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn (22 servings)
1 can of Cut Green Beans (20 servings)

Crue 09-28-2010 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugwump (Post 348342)
Costco has a good web-only deal if you're a member -- $60 off of their already good price, although the package includes <shudder> their eggs. Eighteen #10 cans for $279 while they last. Number 10 cans might be problematic for a small household because after opening they have to be consumed fairly quickly.

Link to Costco-Mountain House

From the page:

From the makers of Mountain House, Oregon Freeze Dry introduces NEW Easy Meals. All of the Easy Meal products are created with the same superior quality and taste you have enjoyed from Oregon Freeze Dry for over 40 years. Every Easy Meal item is fully cooked and then freeze-dried. Most all of the Easy Meal items just require water.

The Easy Meal package offers a mixed case of lunch and dinner entrée’s, breakfast entrée’s and fruit, and ingredients. Now you can have a quick hearty meal or vegetable wherever hot water is available. Easy Meals are shelf stable and a perfect solution for any emergency situation. In addition, Easy Meals are ideal for a family get-togethers, potlucks, group feeding or simply when you don’t have time to cook.

Shipment arrives in 1 bundle that contains 3 separate boxes
Total Servings: 302
Shelf Life: 25+ year if unopened (on all items)
Best if used by date printed on all cans

The Easy Meal package contains 18 #10 (gallon size) cans. See below for package contents:

Breakfast Case:
1 can of Scrambled Eggs with Ham & Red & Green Peppers (17 servings)
1 can of Breakfast Skillet (10 servings)
1 can of Granola with Milk & Blueberries (20 servings)
1 can of Scrambled Eggs with Bacon (16 servings)
1 can of Raw Egg Mix, Butter Flavor (50 servings) – Requires cooking
1 can of Sliced Strawberries (16 servings)
Entrée Case:

1 can of Lasagna with Meat Sauce (10 servings)
1 can of Pasta Primavera, Vegetarian (11 servings)
1 can of Beef Teriyaki with Rice (11 servings)
1 can of Beef Stroganoff with Noodles (10 servings)
1 can of Chicken Teriyaki with Rice (9 servings)
1 can of Chili Mac with Beef (10 servings)
Ingredient Case:

1 can of Cooked Diced Beef (15 servings)
1 can of Cooked Diced Chicken (14 servings)
1 can of Cooked Ground Beef (18 servings)
1 can of Garden Green Peas (23 servings)
1 can of Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn (22 servings)
1 can of Cut Green Beans (20 servings)

Just came home to find my order on my doorstep. Offer is still good until 10 October. Might order another if I can time the order to be delivered when the wife is not home...

Stingray 01-22-2011 03:42

Be Prepared

Bump.

At Freeze Dry Guy's website, under products, pay as you go Clubs, there is a good reasonably priced monthly option for stashing Mountain House.

Knuckledragger alert* I don't know how to link it without the copy/paste or I would insert it.

Sincerely,

koz 01-23-2011 15:54

Freeze Dry Guy

PSM 05-01-2011 19:30

After watching the aftermath of the recent tornadoes, I would add hardhats.

Pat

TOMAHAWK9521 08-05-2011 11:25

Well, I got caught up on this thread finally. I re-read it from the beginning and the only thing I can add is a couple of tools to carry in the vehicles.

One is a webbing knife like we used for airborne operations or carried on our kit. I have a Benchmade model in one of the overhead compartments so anyone in the truck can access it. I also have an Ontario Knife Company aviation crash axe in my truck. It's exactly like the ones you see in the C-130's, 141's, 17's, etc.

My reason for the axe was I could have used it years ago when I was coming home after guiding for the fall season. I came upon a small pickup lying on its side in the east-bound side of I-70, just west of the Eisenhower Tunnel. I was one of the first vehicles to get there and the FD was still enroute. The girl was stuck down in the cab and the passenger door was proving to be a problem to keep open while rescuers tried to pull her out. The only help I could provide was lashing the door open with a 120' that I was carrying so they could concentrate on helping the girl. When the FD showed up they said thanks to all for our efforts up to that point and then pretty much cut the truck open and pulled her out.

That incident made me think about the safety briefs we used to get from the air crews about using those axes to cut a hole in the side of the plane after a crash landing or some other SHTF situation. I figured one of those axes would make short work of a car/truck hood, window, windshield, or door in an emergency situation. I picked one up for about $60 and carry it in the truck always. A good modern tomahawk will also take any automobile apart as well but I try to match the right tool for the specific job.

Golf1echo 08-25-2011 16:51

Might be timely to mention the FEMA studies that looked into why there tends to be traffic lock ups when Hurricane evacuations happen. They found during evacuations that the average family takes all their vehicles with them, a family of four may evacuate in four cars. If you plan on leaving probably better to do so as early as possible.
If you stay or return quickly have some good ice chests, lots of water min. 1gal/person/day, preferably more. It helps to have enough to help those who don't. It can sometimes help to have supplies for power crews when they get to your area ( like some good food and cold drinks) it might make the difference in how fast power is returned to your house or area. Tarps can save you thousands of dollars in damage if you can cover damaged roofs from subsequent rains and weather. You may benefit from some good bug netting. Stay safe.

wet dog 09-09-2011 07:24

Bump

Flooding in the northeast, storms in the southeast/coastal regions, fires in south central, power outages in southwest, failed ecomonies, failed/bankrupt states, high costs of fuel, unemployment stress, healthcare costs, green energy loans, ($500MM lost), a failed administration, an upcoming election, small town shooting,...

am I missing anything?

I've started a Risk Matrix in excel, but I cant hyperlink solar sun spot activity, a Mayan time stamp or jihadist extremists, elem schools not allowing the Pledge of Allegience or prayer.

albeham 09-09-2011 07:47

Just spent all Wednesday night bailing water out of my basement, that never had a problem before. Water came in via draining areas. Was up for 27 hours.

Sub-pump working on AC, glad to have generator .

Moved 900+ gals throughout the night by using a wet/dry shop vac. Next day once Bass Pro opened up, got a 12 volt bilge pump, with automatic switch, one that is used in my bass boat. Its been on since yesterday, 9/8/11,
working like a camp and its 12 volts. Its keeping up with the water that is still coming in. Will plug with hydro-lock from Lowe's.

Point is the crap you come up with when push comes to shove....share.

AL

PS that two hurricanes to hit Maryland and the east-coast. Now the mold fight starts.... Be safe be ready

TOMAHAWK9521 09-09-2011 22:08

Harrisburg, PA flooding

I got this email from my little sister yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised that she and her family were so well prepared for this hurricane. I forgot that both she and her husband work in the insurance business-claims and adjustment. That might explain their forethought in preparation for the flooding disaster. Good on her!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all! As you may or may not know, we've been in the direct path of the remnants of Tropical Storm (or whatever his designation is) Lee for the last 3 days. We have managed to stay dry and our 2 pumps in the basement have amazingly kept up with the 10 + inches of rain. although they are running non stop. Neighbors on both sides and several in our neighborhood have taken on water. Schools will be closed again tomorrow because many of the roads in our outer areas of our school district are flooded or washed out. The PA turnpike has been closed in both directions from Reading, PA to Harrisburg. Hershey and Hersheypark are under water. Two of the bison at the Hershey Zoo were actually drowning and had to be put down. We're waiting for the rivers and creeks to crest, some 12 feet over flood stage locally. We're away from any direct water threat, but our water and sewage treatment plants are under water and we are under a boil order and may lose water at anytime (Got showers in tonight ;D).

Anyway, we're fine as we can be and stocked up on bottled water and filled up the bathtubs just in case for the toilets and such. We're very fortunate to have come through this as well as we have so far. Just hope our luck keeps up, as the rain has been relentless and with all the rain we've already had in the last month, there's just really nowhere for it to go.

Ambush Master 09-09-2011 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by albeham (Post 413509)
PS that two hurricanes to hit Maryland and the east-coast. Now the mold fight starts.... Be safe be ready

Get a trigger sprayer that fits the large (1 qt) Hydrogen Peroxide Bottles and hose the area down. Mold HATES H2O2 and it's not as caustic as Clorox etc.!!

Good luck!
Martin

albeham 09-10-2011 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambush Master (Post 413634)
Get a trigger sprayer that fits the large (1 qt) Hydrogen Peroxide Bottles and hose the area down. Mold HATES H2O2 and it's not as caustic as Clorox etc.!!

Good luck!
Martin

Will do..Thanks

AL

Water still flowing....

mark46th 09-16-2011 17:45

Wear safety glasses or some kind of eye protection while you are spraying... Some of these things are hell on mucuous membranes...