Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   18D (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   How do SF cope with allergies? (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52544)

Chris O`Crooh 06-25-2017 10:18

How do SF cope with allergies?

Hello,
I was thinking lately (...and I liked it ;) ) about allergies - there are many of them, connected with food, enviroment, metals etc.

As treating the allergy "at home" is +/- easy, the SF people often visit many various places and are being exposed to heterogenous allergens.

My question is
- are there various test taken during service, that indicate allergy to something?
- you are at the Obs Post, all of the sudden one man starts to sneeze, cry, etc - what do You do then? If everyone has anti-allergy drug with him, or Medic applies one?
- if the (wo)man with allergy mentioned above is rotated home, or treated during mission?

Can You describe some cases, or procedures You take?

Sorry for my lack of language skills, greetings from Poland!

Team Sergeant 06-25-2017 13:40

We kill them.

Chris O`Crooh 06-25-2017 15:13

Considering the costs of health care in US, I was totally prepared for such answer :)

miclo18d 06-26-2017 05:17

I am allergic to peanuts and strawberries. I served 20 years. I just didnt eat peanuts or strawberries like I haven't my whole life. On a few occasions I accidentally ate a cookie with peanut butter in it. Realized it and took a Benadryl. No harm no foul. I have had on occasion seasonal pollen allergies. If it's bad, I take over the counter allergy medication.

Allergies that are too severe, are a disqualification for service.

Pete 06-26-2017 06:24

Shrimp

Had a guy on our dive team that was allergic to shrimp and other things like that.

His solution was to not eat them.

SouthernDZ 06-26-2017 08:08

Had an 18D student who was allergic to latex. I heard he made a fine commo man.

tom kelly 06-27-2017 21:22

Desensitization to food allegries:

A procedure called oral immunotherapy is a treatment program that can be used to cure patients with peanut allergies and other foods. You can see the results of the study by Wesley Burks MD at UNC Chapel Hill NC.

PSM 06-27-2017 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom kelly (Post 629511)
A procedure called oral immunotherapy is a treatment program that can be used to cure patients with peanut allergies and other foods. You can see the results of the study by Wesley Burks MD at UNC Chapel Hill NC.

I think you're right and the study makes sense. In AIT I was in a control group testing agents that would prevent reactions to the poison (fill in the blank) flora. In training we were run through whatever they had. I didn't have any reaction where guys with preventive products did. Looking back, I was between 5 and 9 years old playing outdoors in the bayous of SE Texas. I don't remember any problems but my mom still tells stories of all the crap I came home with. One in particular I wish she would stop telling! Something to do with where she found a tick. :o ;)

Pat

JJ_BPK 06-28-2017 04:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom kelly (Post 629511)

Tom, is this the paper you talk of?? if not, do you have a link? My G-kid has a slight allergy to nuts, she is 1.5 YO and lives in the UK. Thought it might be a good read for my daughter,, as I don't trust their "clinic" system of progressive medicine.. :munchin

http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2...peanut-allergy

tom kelly 07-03-2017 13:03

Peanut Allergy: A. Wesley Burks,MD

If you Google "peanut allergy cure/Wesley Burks,MD UNC Chapel Hill NC you will be presented a list of Dr. Burks Research at UNC School of Medicine. Brian P. Vickery is a researcher who was a co author of the paper for the treatment of peanut allergy. Tom Kelly

NurseTim 07-05-2017 00:34

I'm curious how team members deal with allergic rhinitis while on a mission. I can only speculate what a PITA a flare would be when on reconnaissance.

JJ_BPK 07-05-2017 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom kelly (Post 629718)
If you Google "peanut...

Thanks Tom..