Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   18D (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   18D - your experience (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46322)

dendankin 06-30-2014 10:03

18D - your experience

Hello,

I am familiar with the basic requirements and timeline of training. In your experience, how long did it REALLY take to complete all the phase IV requirements for 18D.

I am also interested whether it is much different for NG guys.

bk4242 06-30-2014 10:38

From basic to graduation- April 2011 to June 2014.

Ambush Master 06-30-2014 10:48

As the Commandant stated @ my Son's Graduation a couple of years ago, it takes Him longer to produce a Special Forces Soldier than it takes the Air Force to produce a Fighter Pilot!!

Later
Martin

SFgrunt 07-01-2014 13:27

I was NG and went from start to finish (OSUT, Airborne, SOPC, SFAS, PLDC, SFQC II-IV, Language, SERE) in a total of 32 months, no recycles, very little waiting between phases.

x SF med 07-01-2014 18:17

Just the MOS qualification for 18D is 54 - 56 weeks.

Lighthouse 10-10-2014 18:41

Question

Is this accurate to injuries pertaining to gunshot wounds in combat?
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...can-hit-shoot/

11Ber 10-11-2014 07:05

Really deep question Lighthouse. Here's the answer: Some kill. Some don't. All hurt.

How's that?

miclo18d 10-22-2014 06:36

And the one shot stop myth keeps going...

I've had a fellow from my Bn cap a guy with a 9mm and get a one shot dead stop. This article seems to just perpetuate the myth. Stats from Vietnam make the 5.56 (which used to fragment until the green tip came around) much more effective than the 7.62x39 (which passes right through the body). You can kill with a .22 short or a .50 cal if you hit the right place. As with property, goes shooting. Location. Location. LOCATION!

By the way the author said that getting hit by a ZSU (23mm) would just make an iron-smelling cloud. Blood doesn't smell like iron, it smells like copper. I would expect a medic (never saw credentials on that article) to know that.

I could go on but,
Quote:

Some kill. Some don't. All hurt.
Pretty much covers it. That's why you shoot until your target goes down, then add a few more for GP. Repeat as needed.

Streck-Fu 10-22-2014 06:52

EDIT: I linked here through New Posts so if I am out of my lane here, I apologize and nuke my post if necessary.

:confused:

Quote:

The vast majority of engagements with that weapon, however, were within half that distance and patients usually took several hits.
I would think that people you are trying to save are patients and people that you are trying to kill are targets.

Quote:

As an aside, Chris Kyle (FWFS, brother) was a friend of mine, and while not so patiently listening to one of my Crown-induced rants on the 5.56 NATO, he suggested that it was not caliber I hated, but the bullet. He told me to load up the case as fast as I could, push a 64 grain or heavier soft point round and see what happens.
This actually annoys me and indicates that he can't be as experienced as he claims. It is incredibly old news such that it should be fairly common knowledge that commercial hunting rounds perform very differently (better at killing living things that are not wearing armor) from issued M855.

That article is so schizophrenic, I am dismissing it completely.

Razor 10-28-2014 09:41

Apparently the hero medic JWT never read about LTG Boykin being hit in the torso/shoulder by a 14.5mm (.57 caliber) round and not only surviving, but staying in a SMU.

Team Sergeant 10-28-2014 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by x SF med (Post 555894)
Just the MOS qualification for 18D is 54 - 56 weeks.

Probably cause most of you are slow learners........ :D

11Ber 10-28-2014 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 566402)
Probably cause most of you are slow learners........ :D

Thorough not slow...

x SF med 10-30-2014 01:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 566394)
Apparently the hero medic JWT never read about LTG Boykin being hit in the torso/shoulder by a 14.5mm (.57 caliber) round and not only surviving, but staying in a SMU.

Or SFC Bill Amelung at Devens who caught more than one DsHK round and came back to teach the TI course at Devens....

TS, I hate you sometimes...:rolleyes: