Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Briefback (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   GEN Mark A. Milley 39th CSA (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49356)

Richard 08-14-2015 10:10

GEN Mark A. Milley 39th CSA

I watched the Change of Responsibility ceremony at Fort Meyer today with GEN Milley replacing retiring CSA GEN Odierno.

GEN Milley was in the 5th SFGA and sports the SF Tab and CDQB. I know a few guys who served with him when he was in the 101st and 10th Mountain, and they say he was an exceptional commander.

His bio:

http://www.forscom.army.mil/cmd_staf...o_one_page.pdf

A few observations re the ceremony this morning:

- Change of Responsibility vs Change of Command? Hunh.

- I'm not sure how I feel about the hugging out on the parade field and on the lectern between the GOs and the Sec Army and Sec Def. My way of thinking about such a display may be more out-of-date than I thought. I'm a bit surprised the GOs weren't also given roses, too.

- I learned something new watching the Army Band execute the command of Parade Rest with their French Horns, trombones, etc. And watching a pass in review by the piccolo players in red coats was...a reminder of why I chose the SF career path.

- GEN Odierno is retiring in Southern Pines. Fort Bragg may see him frequently. How lucky for you guys living in that area.

- GEN Milley's remarks were a refreshing change to the "blah, blah, blah" of the Odierno's and Dempsey's of today's military. I'll post them as soon as the DOD publishes them as I think people should pay attention to how the new CSA thinks and what his sense of mission is about. I can see a bunch of current senior leaders now wondering about their futures under GEN Milley's leadership.

- When they played the "Army Song", GEN Milley sang along and seemed to be the only member of the reviewing party to know the words and sing them with obvious pride.

Richard

Peregrino 08-14-2015 10:54

Pomp and Circumstance; i.e., "I'm not holding my breath".

CSA doesn't "command", hence the "Change of Responsibility".

Thankfully GEN (about to be Ret.) Odierno and I don't frequent the same circles.

JJ_BPK 08-14-2015 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 590561)

I watched the Change of Responsibility ceremony at Fort Meyer today with GEN Milley replacing retiring CSA GEN Odierno.

A few observations re the ceremony this morning:

- Change of Responsibility vs Change of Command? Hunh.

I can see a bunch of current senior leaders now wondering about their futures under GEN Milley's leadership.

Richard

Do you think Dempsey is implementing a new force reduction technique, based on the progressives at Zappos??

Zappos to employees: Get behind our ‘no bosses’ approach, or leave

:munchin

The Reaper 08-14-2015 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrino (Post 590566)
Pomp and Circumstance; i.e., "I'm not holding my breath".

CSA doesn't "command", hence the "Change of Responsibility".

Thankfully GEN (about to be Ret.) Odierno and I don't frequent the same circles.

I predict we will see a lot of GEN Odierno around town, just because he is physically easy to identify.

TR

Razor 08-14-2015 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 590581)
I predict we will see a lot of GEN Odierno around town, just because he is physically easy to identify.

TR

You have my sincere sympathies.

The Reaper 08-14-2015 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 590582)
You have my sincere sympathies.

I didn't say I was inviting him over to my house.:D

TR

JimP 08-14-2015 18:10

Fat Ray could eat a bucket of dicks but he's already done that...fat bastige that he is.

Milley is a fekkin' clown. I sat through the most insane quarterly safety briefs with that clown than I have ever seen. The man is insatiable in his appetite for information and he does NOT trust his subordinates. He gets down in their shit and we are going to see a return of briefing the freakin' motor pool stats to the four star level before he is done.

I am so fucking glad I am retired (day 14 as of today). I'm gonna go down to the pier and throw and cast net with "Denne Rock" and tell the rest of the world to kiss my ass.

No longer my clowns...no longer my circus.

glebo 08-15-2015 05:58

Yup, just another head clown at the circus.

Say hello to Denne Rock for me....:D