Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Be Prepared (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10819)

Pete 12-13-2007 17:01

Fuzes

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes (Post 191803)
.....And yes, I did have extra wiper blades.:o

Holly

Holly/All;

I was raised in the UP and learned at an early age to turn off everything before you shut off your car in the winter. On a real cold morning if you have everything on high and turned the key through the Acc. position you could drain it just enough to be stuck.

On another note on this subject. If you shut off your car but leave the wipers "On" during an ice or snow storm the blades can freeze to the windshield. When you jump in the car to turn it on so it can warm up while you clean off the ice you can blow the fuze to the wipers.

Some of those fuze boxes are at the darndest angle down there near the floorboard.

Pete

A power down, extra fuze, flashlight plug.

Gypsy 12-13-2007 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes (Post 191803)
2. Have a back-up phone, if you are like me and connect the home phone though the cable company...Hint: When IT goes out, so does the phone.
Holly

That is exactly why I refuse to bundle my services. Especially since it seems Comcast loses service if one sneezes too hard. :rolleyes:

Glad you survived the storm, luckily it missed us for the most part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 191807)
Holly/All;

I was raised in the UP and learned at an early age to turn off everything before you shut off your car in the winter. On a real cold morning if you have everything on high and turned the key through the Acc. position you could drain it just enough to be stuck.

On another note on this subject. If you shut off your car but leave the wipers "On" during an ice or snow storm the blades can freeze to the windshield. When you jump in the car to turn it on so it can warm up while you clean off the ice you can blow the fuze to the wipers.

Some of those fuze boxes are at the darndest angle down there near the floorboard.

Pete

A power down, extra fuze, flashlight plug.

Many moons ago when my dad taught me to drive, he expressed the exact same points. Good advice all around.

echoes 12-14-2007 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy (Post 191818)
That is exactly why I refuse to bundle my services. Especially since it seems Comcast loses service if one sneezes too hard.

Glad you survived the storm, luckily it missed us for the most part.

Gypsy,

It is so true about the "bundled services." Cox practically has a monopoly here, but I am switching my phone back to AT&T. Funnier still is that even though my apt. has power...still not cable/phone/net. :rolleyes:
(Staying with my sis right now.)

I hope your AO continues with its good fortune...I wouldn't wish this war-zone aftermath on anyone I know...and here comes another storm.

EDIT to add: Also, there is nothing like the sound of a "chainsaw symphony" to lull one to sleep..we should cut a demo!:eek:

Holly

warrottjr 12-15-2007 12:10

As an old commo maintenance warrant (256A), I can assure you that bundled services do not meet the Army's standards for continutity of operations (COOP). I have a cable modem with land line dial-up for backup. If the land line goes out, I can still get out using Net2Phone.

The Reaper 12-15-2007 13:13

I have bundled service, and figure that a UPS on the modem, a couple of cells, a linesman's phone, some CB and FRS radios should be adequate for PACE.

The hardlines will only be good as long as the lines are up, and the batteries and/or generator at the local switching office lasts.

Don't overly rely on any one means of support.

TR

echoes 12-16-2007 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 191982)
Don't overly rely on any one means of support.
TR

So true Sir.

Honestly, the advice given in this thread is without a pricetag. Invaluable for anyone IMHO.

And Gypsy... Hope you are okay now that this storm is headed to your AO.:(

Holly

The Reaper 12-17-2007 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugwump (Post 188072)
Yikes. I actually put the text together a while back and just got around to posting it (I've got trunking-scanner and comms ones in the queue that need cleanup and posting, too.) I'll check, but I didn't pay any $13.

Shipping ripoffs are real pet peeve of mine. They must have 60" plasmas in their personal yurts.

ETA: They say they had to raise shipping to pass through increased charges due to the box size needed for the filter plus padding (the filter is very brittle). He knows they're losing sales, but won't budge. The filter is about the size of a roll of toilet paper; seems fishy but then who knows...

Well, it looked so neat that I bought the "special packaging" story and ordered one. $19.95 of product in $13 shipping.

The box is plain cardboard, approx. 10"x10"x7.5" deep. Weight less than 3 pounds. Packaging consisted of roughly 8 feet of crumpled brown paper, with the sock and spigot tossed in. The filter itself was in bubble wrap in a white cardboard box 4"x4"x5.5" packed in the aforementioned brown paper. Sent UPS Ground service.

If it cost $13 to pack and ship, they must have taken it unboxed to the most expensive Mail Boxes Etc. in town and waited with a big "Screw Me" sign.

Definitely a shipping rip-off.

No markings on any of the components, but I strongly suspect that the filter and spigot are COTs purchased in bulk in the plain commerical wrapping.

Not sure about the cost of brown paper or cardboard boxes, but the shipping itself was probably less than $7.

TR

Peregrino 01-11-2008 21:10

Global Warming?

For those of you who take a mid-long term view on preparedness here's an article sent to me by a friend. Real scientists have been waving the BS Flag at Al Gore et al. for a while now. The potential implications if this report turns out to be accurate are enormous. The one thing the NP committee got right is the social disruption caused by climate change. Food for thought - Peregrino

http://www.spaceandscience.net/id16.html

PRESS RELEASE: SSRC 1-2008

Changes in the Sun’s Surface to Bring Next Climate Change

January 2, 2008

Today, the Space and Science Research Center, (SSRC) in Orlando, Florida announces that it has confirmed the recent web announcement of NASA solar physicists that there are substantial changes occurring in the sun’s surface. The SSRC has further researched these changes and has concluded they will bring about the next climate change to one of a long lasting cold era.

Today, Director of the SSRC, John Casey has reaffirmed earlier research he led that independently discovered the sun’s changes are the result of a family of cycles that bring about climate shifts from cold climate to warm and back again.

“We today confirm the recent announcement by NASA that there are historic and important changes taking place on the sun’s surface. This will have only one outcome - a new climate change is coming that will bring an extended period of deep cold to the planet. This is not however a unique event for the planet although it is critically important news to this and the next generations. It is but the normal sequence of alternating climate changes that has been going on for thousands of years. Further according to our research, this series of solar cycles are so predictable that they can be used to roughly forecast the next series of climate changes many decades in advance. I have verified the accuracy of these cycles’ behavior over the last 1,100 years relative to temperatures on Earth, to well over 90%.”

As to what these changes are Casey says, “The sun’s surface flows have slowed dramatically as NASA has indicated. This process of surface movement, what NASA calls the “conveyor belt” essentially sweeps up old sunspots and deposits new ones. NASA’s studies have found that when the surface movement slows down, sunspot counts drop significantly. All records of sunspot counts and other proxies of solar activity going back 6,000 years clearly validates our own findings that when we have sunspot counts lower then 50 it means only one thing - an intense cold climate, globally. NASA says the solar cycle 25, the one after the next that starts this spring will be at 50 or lower. The general opinion of the SSRC scientists is that it could begin even sooner within 3 years with the next solar cycle 24. What we are saying today is that my own research and that of the other scientists at the SSRC verifies that NASA is right about one thing – a solar cycle of 50 or lower is headed our way. With this next solar minimum predicted by NASA, what I call a “solar hibernation,” the SSRC forecasts a much colder Earth just as it has transpired before for thousands of years. If NASA is the more accurate on the schedule, then we may see even warmer temperatures before the bottom falls out. If the SSRC and other scientists around the world are correct then we have only a few years to prepare before 20-30 years of lasting and possibly dangerous cold arrive.”

When asked about what this will mean to the average person on the street, Casey was firm. “The last time this particular cycle regenerated was over 200 years ago. I call it the “Bi-Centennial Cycle” solar cycle. It took place between 1793 and 1830, the so-called Dalton Minimum, a period of extreme cold that resulted in what historian John D. Post called the ‘last great subsistence crisis.’ With that cold came massive crops losses, food riots, famine and disease. I believe this next climate change will be much stronger and has the potential to once more cause widespread crop losses globally with the resultant ill effects. The key difference for this next Bi-Centennial Cycle’s impact versus the last is that we will have over 8 billion mouths to feed in the next coldest years where as we had only 1 billion the last time. Among other effects like social and economic disruption, we are facing the real prospect of the ‘perfect storm of global food shortages’ in the next climate change. In answer to the question, everyone on the street will be affected.”

Given the importance of the next climate change Casey was asked whether the government has been notified. “Yes, as soon as my research revealed these solar cycles and the prediction of the coming cold era with the next climate change, I notified all the key offices in the Bush administration including both parties in the Senate and House science committees as well as most of the nation’s media outlets. Unfortunately, because of the intensity of coverage of the UN IPCC and man made global warming during 2007, the full story about climate change is very slow in getting told. These changes in the sun have begun. They are unstoppable. With the word finally starting to get out about the next climate change, hopefully we will have time to prepare. Right now, the newly organized SSRC is the leading independent research center in the US and possibly worldwide, that is focused on the next climate change. Some of the world’s brightest scientists, also experts in solar physics and the next climate change have joined with me. In the meantime we will do our best to spread the word along with NASA and others who can see what is about to take place for the Earth’s climate. Soon, I believe this will be recognized as the most important climate story of this century.”

More information on the Space and Science Research Center is available at: www.spaceandscience.net

The previous NASA announcement was made at:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2..._longrange.htm

January 7 Update: Responses to Press Release. Please accept our thanks for the many who have responded to the company's first release of 2008. The first ten replies strongly endorsed (9 to 1 in favor) of what the SSRC is trying to do. For those who have sent in questions about the web site and the newly started SSRC we have taken those comments and where appropirate made immediate changes to improve the web site. Everyone's assistance in making the SSRC web site better is appreciated. Keep it up!

brownapple 01-11-2008 23:29

Quote:

We today confirm the recent announcement by NASA that there are historic and important changes taking place on the sun’s surface. This will have only one outcome - a new climate change is coming that will bring an extended period of deep cold to the planet.

So, are we going to see suggestions for increasing the carbon released into the atmosphere to keep temps up?

;)

sofmed 02-06-2008 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrino (Post 195329)

“We today confirm the recent announcement by NASA that there are historic and important changes taking place on the sun’s surface. This will have only one outcome - a new climate change is coming that will bring an extended period of deep cold to the planet.

That'll make things a little more tolerable during my next deployment to the sandbox, unless of course it's during the winter months...bar-dah!! With my terp standing right here he says that's really the only way to spell "cold" from Arabic into English. :(

Going to do PT now. Only real way to keep warm right now. :lifter

PSM 02-12-2008 12:25

Make your own Emergency Rations.

I found this recipe a couple of years ago and gave it a try. I cut the bars into eight 125 cal. cubes. I wrapped the cubes in aluminum foil (mistake) then froze half and stored half in the pantry.

After 12 month, the remaining cubes in the pantry were still edible. (My son had used a few as snacks at school.) After 18 months a little mold was forming on the pantry batch. The frozen ones were fine.

During the first year, I used one to make a hot cereal and it was pretty good.

Like all of the “hard tack” type of rations you need lots of water, but, other than that, these little suckers are pretty tasty…and cheap.

The foil stuck to the cubes (and I don’t like aluminum chewing gum) so I now use Press ‘n Seal and flatten the cubes more like a thick cracker so that they are easier to carry in a pocket. We make these when we make jerky and store them in the freezer until we need them. We also keep some in the vehicles.

Quote:

Emergency Ration Bars

3 cups rolled oats, barley, or wheat
2 1/2 cups nonfat milk powder
1/2 package citrus flavored Jello powder
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Heat together water and honey, stir in Jello powder.

Stir dry ingredients together, stir in Jello water, and mix well. Add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture can be formed into two bars.

Dry in oven, wrap in foil (not the best choice) to store. Each bar is 1000 calories. May be eaten as is, or cooked in a pint of water.
Pat

GratefulCitizen 06-22-2008 23:40

The recent flooding in the midwest prompted a visit to this thread.
Some of my relatives live in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

The town was well-prepared, and endured the problem well.
(My relatives live at the highest point in town, and weren't directly affected.)

News coverage has highlighted some finger-pointing concerning two 500-year floods occurring during a 15 year interval and insufficient levees.

In this thread, the topic of estimating risk was addressed a few times:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 122346)
The intent of this thread is to discuss Disaster Preparedness and assist members of PS.com with their personal disaster planning.

Disaster Analysis

Frequency of Occurrence:

• Highly likely (Near 100% probability in the next year)
• Likely (Between 10% and 100% probability in the next year, or at least one chance in the next 10 years)
• Possible (Between 1% and 10% probability in the next year, or at least one chance in the next 100 years)
• Unlikely (Less than 1% probability in the next 100 years)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugwump (Post 135053)
Time article on risk. I didn't know that New York was considered the second biggest insurance risk for hurricanes after Miami.

Floods, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Wildfires, Earthquakes ... Why We Don't Prepare

mugwump

Risk-estimation can be difficult due to the misnomers used to describe the probability of a major event and the non-intuitive nature of probability.
In the case of the recent flooding, it has been called a "500-year" flood.

What does this mean?
According the the USGS: http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1963

"...a 0.2 percent chance - 1 in 500 - of happening in any given year in a particular location."

What does that mean?
How safe are we for X years to come? (not as safe as you think)

A "500-year" flood happened in 1993.
What are the odds of at least one more "500-year" flood occurring in the next 15 years?

1 - ((1-.002)^15) = 0.0296, or about 1 in 34.
In other words, the second "500-year" flood occuring in next 15 years is more likely than a person winning on their first spin at the roulette wheel.

There is a reason the Netherlands protects populated areas against a "10,000-year" flood.
Buy flood insurance if it is warranted. Don't delay preparations.

Thanks for the thread, TR.
It has given me much to consider in protecting my own clan.

Monsoon65 06-26-2008 17:35

Food storage revisted

I didn't see these in this thread, but came across them a few days ago.

I was doing a search for the Gamma seals that Walton Feed sells, and I found that the Gamma Plastics makes these:

http://www.gammaplastics.com/new/vittles_vault.html

I found them at PetSmart today. They are food grade plastic, easy spin off lids, come in a bunch of different sizes and are suppose to keep pests out. They might be a pretty good deal for storing dry goods like oats or rice.

Pete 06-26-2008 18:11

Hurricane Season

Lets not forget it's Hurricane Season once more.

Things will not kick up for about 30 more days but this weekend will be a good time to test run the 5Kw, check your battery supply, radio, couple of cases of bottled water, easy cook rations, etc, etc, ......

.......read through this thread.

The Reaper 06-26-2008 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsoon65 (Post 214411)
I didn't see these in this thread, but came across them a few days ago.

I was doing a search for the Gamma seals that Walton Feed sells, and I found that the Gamma Plastics makes these:

http://www.gammaplastics.com/new/vittles_vault.html

I found them at PetSmart today. They are food grade plastic, easy spin off lids, come in a bunch of different sizes and are suppose to keep pests out. They might be a pretty good deal for storing dry goods like oats or rice.

I recently purchased a bunch of the Gamma Seal lids and have been very happy with them so far. They really make the 5 gallon buckets great for storage, as long as you use the Mylar bags for the contents.

This would be an excellent time to review your kit and make sure of the quantity and condition/shelf life of your gear.

As a minimum, I would want to have the following in a tuff box, storage container, bag or bags for quick grab and go situations.

The first thing to have is a plan, and a well-known one that every member is aware of. If the levee breaks, the power goes out, or the hurricane shifts at the last moment, everyone needs to know what to do, where to go, how you are getting out, what the destination is, contact info, etc.

Toss the contents of your wallet onto your local copier and burn a few sheets with the front and back of all ID, credit cards, passports, birth certificates, etc. Keep this in a secure, but quickly accessible place. I would keep several hundred dollars in small bills locked up as well. $1,000 would be better, if you can swing it.

Spare meds (see your Doc and tell him it is for travel). Make sure that your shots (and your families) are up to date as well.

First aid kit, covering trauma, illness, etc. Basically a broad selection. Make sure you know how tro use what you have. Get training if necessary.

At least one defensive weapon. If you have not fired it lately, get some ammo (scary prices) and burn a box or two, along with the nasty carry ammo you have had in the mag for the past year. Do not be surprised if it misfires, just do your clearing drill and drive on. I would have plenty of non-lethal options as well. Bring spare mags and ammo.

Sleeping bags, woobies, sheets, etc.

Tents, tarps, ponchos, or just sheet vinyl, and a bunch of 550 cord, a hammer stapler, and some duct tape.

An axe, machete, etc. Leatherman or SAK. Shovel, or E-tool. Chainsaw with fuel and oil, or a bow saw. Rope, straps, come-along, etc. Hand tools for carpentry and mechanical repair.

Fuel (I would keep a couple of cans at home). Use Sta-Bil, and rotate the stock periodically. If you leave, take at least a couple of gallong in an approved container. A couple of quarts of oil and a gallon of anti-freeze as well.

Depending on the size of your party, a Coleman stove (with fuel), Sterno, a multi-fuel stove, candles, a lantern, Chemlites, Microlights, and several flashlights (with spare bulbs and batteries).

Several collapsible water containers, Camelbacks, Nalgenes, canteens, cans, etc., and at least one gallon of fresh water per person, per day, stored at home.

Water purification, either mechanical or chemical.

Toilet paper and wet wipes. A folding chemical toilet at home, or the ability to make one.

Camp type cookware, flatware, etc.

Food (MREs, freeze dried, canned, etc.) adequate for at least one cold and one hot meal per day, per person. A couple of weeks worth, if you can. Food prices have gone wild as well lately. Probably not coming down anytime soon. Look for long shelf life. At least two weeks supply of non-perishables on hand at home. Don't forget the spices.

Plenty of soap, shampoo, hand sanitizer, and detergent. Towels.

Bug juice and sunscreen. Lots.

Cell phones, FRS/GMRS radios, laptop, ham gear, etc., with batteries. Have a commo plan and a RV/link-up plan with family members.

GPS, a home state gazetteer, and maps or an atlas with at least the surrounding states.

Spare batteries, chargers (120v. and 12 v.), etc. A solar charging panel is a nice to have item, as is an inverter.

Spare clothing, to include seasonably appropriate under and outerwear.

Make sure that your vehicle is well maintained, recently serviced, good all-season tires, reliable battery, and keep the fuel above 1/2 tank.

If you have a bike rack, or a way to carry one (or two), that is not a bad idea. Murphy is out there.

If you have pets, and plan to bring them, have them tattooed or chipped, shots up to date, and keep a close watch on them. Then bring plenty of food and extra water.

Game Boys, video player, personal audio devices, cards, a board game or two, if you wind up in a shelter, or waiting out an evacuation, you may need the diversion. Plus it is a touch of home for the kids.

Probably left some stuff off there, hope that helps everyone at least think about their preparations.

TR

Monsoon65 06-26-2008 19:22

TR:

I really liked the Gamma seals, but my wife has a problem with something not being "food grade plastic" (she's a chemist with Hershey foods). I was going to get the 5 gallon containers like you, then found out about these. I'm thinking about sealing rice in maybe 2 cup packages with a food sealer, then putting them in the containers.

We're doing the review right now!

tom kelly 06-26-2008 19:35

Great Post.

TR, You have given us a great list to start with Also you have motivated us to begin the thought process to prepare. Thank You, tom kelly

Peregrino 06-26-2008 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 214421)

Cell phones, FRS/GMRS radios, laptop, ham gear, etc., with batteries. Have a commo plan and a RV/link-up plan with family members.

TR

We never did get around to discussing commo in any depth. My personal plan has always been set up to the PACE standard and is pretty well developed but I've kept my eyes/ears open for possible improvements. FRS/GMRS radios have been part of that plan for years, accepting the tradeoffs inherent in the system as the price of doing business.

I may have stumbled across a new and (to my eyes) better alternative. While thumbing through my July American Rifleman I discovered a product review (pg 28) for TriSquare eXRS Two-Way Radios ( www.trisquare.us ). I spent the next hour doing research and reading various articles and reviews. End result - I bought two sets from Amazon and will probably be moving the FRS radios one step lower on the plan. I'll be doing my own testing over the next few weeks and should have a better feel for capabilities when I'm finished. I'm enthusiastic about the potential. The two systems are not compatible so I'm keeping the FRS radios just because they're more widely used. (I'll be able to communicate with or loan sets to "allies" while keeping the superior technology for "core assets". :D) If the eXRSs pan out, I intend to use them exclusively for personal comms - the benefits of the technology and the features of the new radio lead me to speculate that it'll become the new standard in the near future. It's worth doing your own research.

Diablo Blanco 07-01-2008 02:11

I didn’t get to this thread until just now, TR excuse my input on subjects already covered I will bring it back up to speed at the end of the post. I am adding solutions that have been missed and adding to the current subject. This is not intended as an end all, just in-addition to everyone else's contributions.

Most importantly: Firearms! If you have a large collection and are going to bug out you are obligated to render safe those firearms. If you can’t take them with you, take the firing pins. Do your neighbors a favor and think about the people that can’t bug out and are attacked by some looter that found YOUR firearms.

Shelter:
Man Packable – Bivy 2.0 – will last for awhile or at least long enough for you and family to get to your long term AO. They are actually comfortable and quiet (no crinkling). We have one in all of our BOBs. http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...itNO=0140-0223 throw in a poncho and you’re good to go (or a hammock if you have trees/poles/beams nearby)

Vehicle Borne – Maneuverability is a must in any disaster situation. A roof mounted tent is a great way to go. http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/ Especially in areas of floods, critters etc. Additionally they provide another obstacle for any would-be attackers to overcome. On a long enough vehicle you can get two of the OverZone models mounted (one opening to the side and one off the back) or several of the OverCamps. I don’t have a large family so I prefer the Maggiolina (it takes a minute to set up or take down and the bedding stays inside) also it has rack space on top. These have been in expedition use for decades. Quite pricey though.
Or if you don’t have a roof rack but do have a hitch check this cool MINI gear hauler/popup tent http://www.sylvansport.com/it.html Be sure to check out the slideshow, it does a lot more than you think it does. About $5-8K but useful for more than camping.
Heat and Cooking
Fuel – If you don’t have tons of money then your long term solution should never depend on fuel. The only solution that should depend on fuel is getting to your long term solution. Do you have enough fuel to get there without a gas station? With adequate clothing and sleeping gear you should not need fuel for heating. In a bad situation in a cold environment you should be moving around improving your situation instead of just sitting there. Sleeping arrangements should not be separate. Body warmth should be shared. The Inuit are a good case study. This is the most logical way. If you have room for cans and bottles of fuel then you didn’t pack right (other than for your vehicle on the way to your long term solution).

Quote:

In Phoenix, there was a gas line break that drove gas prices sky high. After a day the govt stepped in and moderated prices to prevent jacking and riots. Most of the time gas stations had none unless it was trucked in. People got by though without the gas. Now that I think about it, the prices were the same as they are now.
Generators and trying to store fuel that will only last a short time is highly expensive that can be better budgeted somewhere else.

However, if you have the money, throw in an underground propane tank as TR mentioned. It will help with cooking and hygiene water.

Mylar – we have a few 100’ rolls of this sitting around the house and at our long term solution. Lining the walls and ceilings of a room will trap in more heat than you’d think. I lined the sleeping compartment of a travel trailer with this to save money on heating. It’s a godsend. You can buy a roll from Home Depot or even a hydroponics gardening store.

Man Packable – Littlbug http://littlbug.com/littlbug_stove_junior.html You seriously don’t need a large amount of fuel for your cooking or heating if you use it effectively. This stove will run on twigs and leaves and still bring water to a boil and hold it for a good length of time. You can also make one yourself from a tomato sauce or coffee can. PM me if you want some instructions on that.

Vehicle Borne – If you’re on the move, bring aluminum foil (with the tabs on the sides ;D ) and cook on your engine while driving!
Power – I carry a HUGE collection of eBooks on every subject on all my family’s laptops and PDA’s (medical, repair, etc). The laptops/PDAs and a radio/cell are the only reason I would need power. Do you really need a light on at night during a city/region wide emergency? Do you want that attention “Hey they have lights! They must have a generator!”

Man Packable – a good Brunton Solar Roll is good for PDAs/Cell phones. I suggest getting used to a PDA Phone, you can carry a ton of information and access many services from one. As well as document events with the Camera, Video, Audio and note taking capabilities.

Vehicle Borne – If you don’t have one yet, go buy a good inverter. Install/Have it installed now before you need it.

Building Mounted - Why use a generator to provide power when you need it? Use some daisy chained marine batteries and an inverter when you need power. You can setup a nice system hidden IN YOUR STAIRS (or a thick wall) that is hooked to a trickle charger so it stays charged 24/7. When the power goes out you just plug into the inverter. Some enterprising individuals with the know how can rig it so the entire house defaults to this system when the power goes out (don’t forget about the feedback into the city lines when setting this up to an entire house!). Buy a small generator and charge it during the day time (sound carries farther at night). Remember you shouldn’t be running your house off this, only necessities. Couple this with a small solar array and you're off the grid.

This post continues into my next post.

Diablo Blanco 07-01-2008 02:18

Continued from post #501

Potable Water – When you HEAR that something afoul could/is happen(ing), plug up your sinks and bathtub and fill them with water immediately. It is a good idea to get your drain stops working 100% before needing to do this. That way you will have FRESH water in home if you need to stay there. Water pressure will stay moderate for a very short time after a city pump stops. I don’t plan on hanging around my house. My land has a 6000 gal water tank which lasts a long time in the right hands.
Pasteurization - doesn’t require a fuel source, just enough sunlight to keep the water above a certain temperature for a certain period of time. You can build a system yourself (similar to a solar oven) or buy a rack that’ll produce daily amounts for you and your family. Hell, you could mount it on your rooftop tent.

Man Packable - http://www.solarsolutions.info/aquapak/aquapak.html $20, 5 liters a day or more

Or the SteriPen with Solar Case is a much better long term solution to the MSR Miox, it doesn’t require salt tabs and has it’s own rugged recharging station. $139 from REI
Vehicle Borne – SunRay 30 http://www.safewatersystems.com/Gene...s/SunRay30.htm You can make safe water at 7.5 liters per day

Building Mounted – SunRay 1000 – 1,000 liters a day http://www.safewatersystems.com/Gene...SunRay1000.htm
TR asked if people that are prepping homes for disaster have considered that they will absolutely have to leave. One reason why I have included Man-Portable, Vehicle-Borne and House Mounted solutions. For the most part your Home Solutions should fit into your vehicles, and cross loaded in case you have to ditch one. At the very least each family member should always carry their Go Bag (BOB) with them in their vehicle and have a route plan handy. Most of my home to vehicle solutions are packed into trunks with wheels. Each trunk is outfitted with rope and D-rings so I can stack or tractor them. Have a packing list on each trunk, it doesn’t take much time and saves you a lot of time in the long run. Include expiration dates of items in the trunk on the packing list. Set a reminder on your calendar to check/replace your Go Boxes periodically.

Food - An easy way to stock up on food is to skip an MRE and just save it (some of you can stand to lose the weight anyways). Everyone knows at least one private that has left the field/deployment with a ruck/duffel/trunk full of MRE’s. Some sell them, some eat them, some save them.
Milk – dry or powdered. Use NIDO from Nestle. Harder to find in the US but it tastes delicious!

Evaporated milk: to make 2% add one full can to the evaporated. For skim add an additional ½ to a full can.

Emergency Survival Food Tabs: for the Go Bag

There are companies that offer 1 year supply of survival food. The problem with these are that the food is in #10 sized cans. Once you open a can, you have to eat it. Which means green beans for two weeks, then red beans for two weeks etc. If you have the money and space go for freeze dried foods. Store lots of salt for salting meats.

Snares have limitless ammo!

Dehydrating food and seal/storing it is a good option for those without access to MRE’s or the funds for 1 year’s supply of food.

Start a garden and buy some vegetarian cookbooks. This is great if you live in the city, plus it will lower your monthly food costs.

Expiration Dates – are only there because of the lawyers. Last week I consumed a full can of evaporated milk that was 18 months past it’s expiration date. Your canned goods will store for a decade or more if kept out of the heat <75 degrees. Tell your neighbors you’re taking a collection of expired canned goods for an ongoing expirement (pun intended). Do this every few months. They will gladly check their pantries and hand them over. Store them and reap the benefits.

Seeds – your long term solution should also have a generous supply of seeds for a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and herbs. Along with this supply should also be a book on gardening. You will forget and you will need a reference. Eggplants have a lot of nutritional value and can be prepared in many ways.

Rice and bouillon – store lots of rice in sealed containers. Mixed with bouillon they save stave off hunger and nourish. Also great for trading.

Tobacco – for those of you that chew or smoke do you have an extended supply on hand, rotate stock? If you don’t, chew staves off hunger. Tobacco is also great for trading. Carry a few packs of smokes and offer them in cigarette increments. This will be handy a day or two into a situation and after the first few months (in the interim the bandits will have a good supply)
Sanitation
Carbon – from burned wood, etc has a bonding quality that coats everything it comes in contact with. Very useful for poisoning or extreme conditions were soap is not available.

Soap – Dr Bronner’s Soap is an excellent all around soap. I’ve used it for many years and have even heard that some hippies brush their teeth with it. You can buy very large bottles of it at great prices. It’s very runny and a few drops goes a long way.

Composting toilets for the long term solution are great but expensive. The market demand isn’t great enough yet for cheaper solutions but they are there.

Chemical toilets in the 5 gal bucket are a must. Have one in your house and on your check list before bugging out in the vehicle.

Toilet Paper – I didn’t see anyone mention this…It takes A LOT of space and is worth it’s weight in gold in the field. An alternative is a sheet sponge (available in your super market in packs of 3) Get the sponge wet and wipe away. You can designate a bucket for cleaning these. You don’t need much water to clean them if you boil or have bleach/chlorine on hand. Wash your hands after using.

Conservation – if you don’t like the idea of wiping with the same thing day after day then conserve your TP by changing your posture. Instead of sitting American style, squat. A FULL squat where your cheeks touch the backs of your calves/feet. The alignment of your intestines, anus and cheeks is optimal and you will notice that your ‘wipes’ will come out cleaner than normal.
PSM – thanks for the Emergency Ration Bar recipe!
TR – Excellent starter post and comprehensive post #497 Great starting point for anyone that needs a good bearing.

Final Contribution: Have a check list of your home/vehicle/BOB along with expiration dates. Set a reminder on your computer to remind you to check your kit at regular intervals.

The Reaper 07-01-2008 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablo Blanco (Post 214908)
Continued from post #501

Or the SteriPen with Solar Case is a much better long term solution to the MSR Miox, it doesn’t require salt tabs and has it’s own rugged recharging station. $139 from REI

Not entirely correct.

The MIOX does not require salt tablets and will work with any NaCl source, to include MRE salt packets, table salt, rock salt, or dried sea salt.

If you are going to have plenty of salt along for processing meat or cooking, then you have plenty for water purification, and the 123 batteries become the limiting factor.

I would go with the Li Ion rechargable 123s, AAs, AAAs, 9v., etc., with some alkaline or lithium batteries as backups.

Good list otherwise, some new items to look at.

TR

Peregrino 07-09-2008 23:10

Creeping Complacency

Food for Thought.

Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:55 AM
To: DailyBrief; Emergency Management; HazMat
Subject: [EM] "Creeping Complacency"

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) reminded last week that July marks the 5th annual National Preparedness Month. This comes amidst new warnings about very real intelligence that Al Qaeda and allied jihadists are re-doubling their efforts to attack the US, and indications that the Middle East is a powder keg that could blow at any time. Either of these events would result in unprecedented hardships for Americans.

Yet, a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll disturbingly shows American's fears of a terrorist attack occurring anytime soon has reached its lowest point since 9/11.

But, as HSToday.us has reported, complacency has become a national crisis according to worried authorities, and at a time in history when the most unimaginable of crises not only are possible, but highly likely
- be they natural or manmade.

Disaster readiness authorities are alarmed by this growing complacency, especially readiness for catastrophic medical crises brought on by hurricanes like Katrina, earthquakes, a pandemic or some other serious pathogenic outbreak or a radiological or biological terrorist attack.

A Harris poll conducted in June 2007 found only 14 percent of respondents said they are "very prepared" for an emergency involving power and water outages, medical help, and fuel shortages, and only 44 percent are somewhat prepared for a homeland disaster - of any kind.

"While majorities of Americans say they are prepared, this does not seem to be the case," the Harris Poll said, adding, "when asked if they had done certain action items, majorities say they have not."

Sixty-one percent, for instance, had not "made a specific plan for how you and your family would leave your home if you had to evacuate in case of an emergency situation," and 68 percent had not "put together a disaster supplies kit with water, food, medicine, and other supplies."

This "creeping complacency," as security authorities call it, has been spreading with alarming speed and virulency across the nation.
Authorities like former White House counterterrorism czar Richard Clarke and former Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson have been warning about it for years.

It remains a cause for consternation on the part of top officials, including DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff, who said recently that the problem is among the most vexing during his tenure at DHS. Federal Emergency Management Agency Director David Paulison, who has repeatedly expressed frustration over the level of civilian preparedness, also recently said the problem of preparedness readiness has become a "pet peeve" of his.

It's no wonder DHS officials are concerned about complacency. Its preparedness campaign launched in 2003 in partnership with the non-profit public service Advertising Council to educate and empower Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies, has involved more than $700 million in donated media support and has been touted as one of the most successful campaigns in the Ad Council's more than 65-year history.

Maybe so, but complacency remains a growing problem. Almost as soon as we were attacked on 9/11, complacency began to spread.

As the ruble of the downed World Trade Center Towers continued to smolder, former Marine Colonel William Parish (who was commanding officer of the Marine Corps Security Force Battalion in 1996 when terrorists drove a truck filled with explosives into the Khobar Towers complex in Saudi Arabia) warned only a month after 9/11 that "after a terrorist attack, complacency can set in very quickly. People go into denial - we all want to think that an attack is a one-of-a-kind event.
But the truth is that there are probably terrorists cells, 'sleepers,'
at work right now, planning for an attack scheduled to take place years down the road, figuring out how to fund it, how to implement it."

Indeed. Yet, despite all the warnings about the uncompromising religious motivation of Islamist jihadists - and even homegrown terrorists - to take their time in planning the next spectacular attack, the citizenry apparently is choosing to ignore it, whether out of misunderstanding the warnings because they don't understand what's actually behind all the concern, or whether because of some psychologically rooted wiring that accounts for waning lack of trepidation.

But that doesn't make the complacency any less problematic or disturbing.

The problem of preparedness complacency was highlighted again recently at the Pacific Health Summit meeting in Seattle by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Dr. Julie Gerberding, who warned attendees that "public health enemy No. 1 is the challenge of complacency and our inability to maintain a focus on threats when they are around the corner or potentially in our backyard."

"People have very short attention spans and when something is in the news for a while, it becomes old news and then it's no news," she said, stressing that "we have to be very strategic to make sure that the leaders and governments fill in for the tendency toward complacency."

Meanwhile, Americans' fear of terrorism is at record low. The new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll shows a scant 35 percent of Americans believes a terrorist attack is going to occur on American soil anytime soon.

This time last summer, 41 percent of those who responded to the same poll said they believed a terrorist attack on the homeland was forthcoming.

Apparently, with each passing year America isn't attacked, fewer and fewer Americans believe it will be assailed. Concurrently, more and more also don't see the need to prepare for any type of crisis - even residents of areas that are vulnerable to catastrophic disasters, like those living in the Gulf Coast states or in or near floodplains and lands susceptible to wildfires.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Monsoon65 08-27-2008 13:48

Gustav

Well, the weather people are saying that Gustav might hit the Gulf Coast states. Anyone down there getting ready for this???

C-Fro 08-27-2008 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsoon65 (Post 222506)
Well, the weather people are saying that Gustav might hit the Gulf Coast states. Anyone down there getting ready for this???

I'm getting ready for higher gas prices.

In South Central Pa, the gas prices were just going down to around 3.45 $ a gallon and still dropping.

If it does infact hit the Gulf Coast that'll be history.

Diablo Blanco 08-28-2008 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 214957)
Not entirely correct.

The MIOX does not require salt tablets and will work with any NaCl source, to include MRE salt packets, table salt, rock salt, or dried sea salt.

If you are going to have plenty of salt along for processing meat or cooking, then you have plenty for water purification, and the 123 batteries become the limiting factor.

I would go with the Li Ion rechargable 123s, AAs, AAAs, 9v., etc., with some alkaline or lithium batteries as backups.

Good list otherwise, some new items to look at.

TR

After much deliberation, pro and con comparisons and logic I decided to move to the MIOX for the reasons TR mentioned including the fact that it is more durable and doesn't have a 'lamp' to break.

Thanks Reaper!

zpo 09-01-2008 18:16

Re: Steri-pen and MIOX
Rei has customer reviews that I found interesting to read.

I'm not sure where this next part would go on the list, but for those with the space and inclination to build it, a purely solar powered ice maker.

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/P13.pdf

Paslode 09-01-2008 20:55

The MIOX is a cool gadget, even my 5 and 7 year old could use it. The Steripens use UV which from what my wife has said have better use as a secondary source for purification/sanitizing. I'll take her word on that.

Since reading this article I have picked up, the MIOX, 2 ILBE's with Day packs, 3 Sleeping bags, Stored up on some MRE's to get us were going, 2 Tents, a Magnesium/striker and 550 Cord which by chance I have found quite useful around the house on 5 or 6 occassions.

Next on the priority list is a first aid kit and small survival kits.

Aside from the purchases I broke the kids into camping outdoors in the backyard and they are now raring to hits the woods for the real deal! And lastly I took the wife to the range and she did damn good keeping her rounds in the target area even at 100 yds.

It is a good start I think.

Razor 09-02-2008 10:40

In addition to the Mg block, I'd recommend a bagful of Bic lighters, and a bunch of cottonballs saturated with petroleum jelly (the cheap alternative to commercial tinder wads).

For the price and utility, the Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pak is a handy little survival kit. Add water purification tablets and some matches and you have a kit with all the basics (supplemented by what you carry in your pockets, such as a good knife, a lighter, an LED light and a bandana) that's small and light enough to make it likely you'll carry it with you.

PSM 09-02-2008 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 223269)
a bunch of cottonballs saturated with petroleum jelly (the cheap alternative to commercial tinder wads).

Wrapping the ball in aluminum foil also allows you to cut an "X" in the ball, pull out a little cotton, and use it as a small candle. Also, individually wrapped like that, it gives you another source for lip balm.

Pat

Diablo Blanco 09-03-2008 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 223269)
In addition to the Mg block, I'd recommend a bagful of Bic lighters, and a bunch of cottonballs saturated with petroleum jelly (the cheap alternative to commercial tinder wads).

For the price and utility, the Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pak is a handy little survival kit. Add water purification tablets and some matches and you have a kit with all the basics (supplemented by what you carry in your pockets, such as a good knife, a lighter, an LED light and a bandana) that's small and light enough to make it likely you'll carry it with you.

I added two rolled up Breast Milk bags to my AMK in addition to the water tabs. They're tough, roll up small and you can buy a pack of 20 or 40 for less than $8. Sizes are all about the same 6-8 oz. Gerber is supposedly the toughest of the brands if you can find them. Now I don't have to worry about carrying what to carry water in. That and a space bag, knife, Doug Ritter photon and a lighter are my minimal carry.

I believe in a modular system that builds on the smaller kits as you go up (more economical for those with less money). When going on a trail or bike ride I add the above carry to a molle ACU pouch with a AMK ultralight .5 FAK, suscreen, bandana, rolled up platypus 1L platypus water bottle, 20 ft 550 cord, petzl e+lite headlamp, and hand sanitizer.

I usually have a full water bottle/camelback. If I'm expecting a longer outing I'll add on another molle canteen pouch with canteen, cup, cup-stove, more water tabs, magnesium fire starter and a 35MM film canister packed full of the cotton swabs soaked in vaseline.

As distance or expected time increases I add onto the kit with other items (poncho, liner, MIOX, food, leatherman, etc)

PSM I like your idea of the foil with an X. I'm going to have to try that now. Usually I scrape the magnesium into the vaseline-cotton swab and light from there. Perfect in windy conditions as the vaseline traps the magnesium shavings.

On the EDC subject. I've been doing some experimenting. The Ritter Photon I ordered came with two mounts that are very handy: a neck cord with a clasp that the photon easily attaches to, and a magnetic hat clip that it attaches to just as easily. The clip has little magnets that make it easy for attaching to a bunk, vehicle or metal object increasing the useful factor. However don't try to squeeze the clip so much to get it onto a kevlar as the metal in the spring might break.

I also shelled out $10 for the Gerber Artifact tool. Which is really handy if you travel and don't like checking a bag and don't want to go without a tool. The blade is an exacto blade and can be switched out or removed without any tools. It is surprisngly sturdy and has all the tools one would need on a daily basis. A leatherman it is not however I have only reached for my leatherman once in the last three weeks since I got the artifact. I usually keep the photon clipped to the artifact and those to my meager set of keys.

Paslode 09-03-2008 05:43

Thus far For my small pocket sized survival tin

1 - SMALL Knife

1 - Mini Compass

1 - Set of Waterproof/Windproof Matches with Striker

2 - Quick Fire Tinder Tabs

1 - 2 inch Mini Glowstick

1 - Mini Signal Mirror

1 - P38 Can Opener

1 - Single Edged Razor Blade

1 - Set of 2 pins and 1 Sewing Needle

1 - 2 inch Sealed Medical Gauze

2 - Bandaids

1 - Alcohol Wipe

20 ft of 10lb Fishing Line

20 ft. of 2-lb Fishing Line

3 - Fishing Hooks - Various Sizes

2 - Fishing Swivels

3 - BB Shot Sinkers

Never crossed my that petroleum jelly, cotton balls and aluminum foil could be so useful! Someting new to try out.

Chris Cram 09-15-2008 11:10

Show me the money...

http://www.ready.gov/
This link came through office email last week.

While reading through their recommendations, I noticed one thing missing; then I realized that I had seen no mention of it on this thread…
(red wheat doesn't count)

In the situation where the power is out and phones are down…
Where are you going to get your CASH? ATM’s wont work, Credit/Debit cards are almost useless, unless the store still has the hardware to RUN a card by hand.

How much cash should you have in your KIT?
And it what form should you have it?

Just a thought.:munchin

82ndtrooper 09-15-2008 12:23

Great thread, lot's of reading and realized a year ago that I needed to do some really hard purchasing for items listed through out the thread.

Here's the deal here today. High wind storms have more of the northern Kentucky and southern Ohio electric out. Schools are closed, college campuses are closed, Ohio is in state of emergency, ice supplies are already gone from the grocery's and gas stations, and most people are flooding the markets for canned food goods. It's not Katrina, but yesterday being without electricity was a surprise given it didn't come on till for us till about an hour ago. Most of some hundred thousand homes are going to be without electric through the weekend, at least that's the estimate.

How I was prepared as a result of this thread.

1. Food stores. I have three cases of MRE's. One more case if half eaten.

2. Coleman stove. Individual type with a store of 12 canisters. Used last night to make soups and heat canned beef stew and boil water for Minute Rice. Nobody here went hungry last night.

3. Light. Both a Coleman lantern and Surfire LED lights where used. Used the Coleman propane light outside and actually had neighbors on my patio with what beer they had left in a cooler with ice. Passed the time pretty well. We wound up having to come inside and use candles for light. I cooked another batch of canned beefstew and two more people enjoyed it with rice and hot sauce.

4. Radio. It's a combo AM/FM with solar, battery and hand crank power with an LED 60 lumen light on on the front. We listened to all the service announcements and then music while drinking beer. Had extra batteries for both of the Surefires and the radio. (I didn't trust the hand crank thingy)

Nothing to disastrous, but what was surprising was I was the only one with what supplies I had, other than beer. ;)

We had heard of some looting up the street at the strip mall so my EDC gun was on my hip and longuns where inside loaded.

It was more like a psuedo camping trip. All is good at the moment.

The Reaper 09-15-2008 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Cram (Post 224983)

While reading through their recommendations, I noticed one thing missing; then I realized that I had seen no mention of it on this thread…

Where are you going to get your CASH? ATM’s wont work, Credit/Debit cards are almost useless, unless the store still has the hardware to RUN a card by hand.

I would say that it is prudent to have two month's expenses in cash locked away at home (or as much as you can afford), and I always tried to have enough cash in my wallet to get home from wherever I was. In Latin America, that was usually $1,000 or so.

I prefer US currency with at least $500 in twenties or less.

Too few people know the value of gold and silver (or will not acknowledge it) to make it useful in the US. Forget diamonds. Cash is king.

If you want barter items, in the short term, fuel, alcohol, or food are probably good bets, if you are comfortable that you have extras. Batteries, ammo, first aid supplies, hand cranked radios/lights, fishing gear, etc., could also work in a longer term situation. Pretty much anything with a long shelf life, compact, of significant value or utility, and hard to come by after a disaster should work.

TR

Chris Cram 09-15-2008 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 225003)
If you want barter items, in the short term, fuel, alcohol, or food are probably good bets, if you are comfortable that you have extras. Batteries, ammo, first aid supplies, hand cranked radios/lights, fishing gear, etc., could also work in a longer term situation. Pretty much anything with a long shelf life, compact, of significant value or utility, and hard to come by after a disaster should work.

TR

TR,
I think you left a big one out of your list... cigarettes/tobacco.
I was amazed to see soldiers trade their parkas or sleeping bags for a few packs of cigarettes. And that was when smokes were cheep.

echoes 09-15-2008 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 225003)
I would say that it is prudent to have two month's expenses in cash locked away at home (or as much as you can afford), and I always tried to have enough cash in my wallet to get home from wherever I was. In Latin America, that was usually $1,000 or so.

I prefer US currency with at least $500 in twenties or less. TR

TR Sir,

Great tip! FWIW, when I went to Peru, two of my 100$ bills were refused by merchants and a local bank, due to excessive wrinkles on one and a 1/2 centimeter rip on another. :rolleyes:

Uggh. Luckily, I was able to trade them with some locals.:o

Lesson learned! For my next trip...will only take crisp notes.

Holly

Paslode 09-15-2008 18:59

My concern with cash is that it is metal and paper and what will determine its worth or worthlessness? If it is really bad I want something that will provide me with an ability to provide Water, Food, Warmth, Shelter, Protection or Medical. The more unstable the situation and the longer the duration the less I see the value in cash.

I was thinking barter and TR answered the question. If you were going to plan on bartering of ammo what type would you consider worthwhile due to it's common use? I was thinking 22LR, 12 GA, .223/5.56, .243, 9mm and some .308

I can see where Tobacco could be very useful considering the cravings of those that use the product. Alcohol and drugs fall into the same catagory, though Alcohol has other uses than drinking.

The other item mentioned that hit home was the radio, a week or two ago I spent the night alone in the middle of nowhere without the typical comforts of home. The thing I missed the most during my brief outting was hearing another voice and nowing what was going on in the world.

My little outting also gave me new insight into how useful/important that dinky survival tin, a knife and a poncho can be when you are stranded. Around 3/4 of the year the tin, knife and poncho do well, but for the the 3 winter months I must do somemore planning. My main concern for winter would be food. If I have the luxury of a firearm it is no worry, but if not....Aside from foraging through garbage, I am thinking snares and traps would get better results than ice fishing

Razor 09-15-2008 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paslode (Post 225040)
My main concern for winter would be food.

Personally, mine is warmth and shelter. I've been hungry before...it sucks, but it doesn't kill as fast as hypothermia.

Diablo Blanco 09-15-2008 23:41

To put the seriousness of Preparedness into perspective, when I was in Bosnia, daughters/mothers/women would resort to the oldest profession in the world and whore themselves out for food. There were several instances where the exchange was made for an MRE, which consequently fed a small family of four or five for a day. I took no part in this market but nearly everyone I worked with had been approached with the concept at one time or another.

What if that was your daughter/wife/sister/mother? Get Prepared!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Cram (Post 224983)

There is a varying consensus on this and where the money should be. On my car keys I have one of those little capsules that is just big enough for one rolled up bill. In it I keep a bill large enough to fill my tank, which from full to empty can get me 300-450 miles away. I do use the bill once in awhile and replace it immediately so I am always cognizant of its presence (plus its good for a taxi ride home from the bar when you've had too much).

While many people in our country don't have the means to carry 2 months of cash in a safe, it is still advisable to have at least 3 months, with 12 months being optimal. Preparedness isn't just about natural disasters.

In the GoBag/BOB $300 in small bills seems sufficient. You don't want the amount too small to not be useful and not too large that it seriously hurts you if your bag is stolen from your house/vehicle (when you're not there)

In addition to cash I like to have extra stuff on hand that I wouldn't mind parting with for barter. Tobacco will always be a commodity, medicine, an extra sleeping bag, cold weather clothing, water purifier, even a knife could potentially be worth their weight in gold.

Just imagine that your house was destroyed and your vehicle missing all in one day. All you have is your small kit, what is going to quickly become essential to your survival and recovery? Other people will want that as well.

Paslode 09-16-2008 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 225050)
Personally, mine is warmth and shelter. I've been hungry before...it sucks, but it doesn't kill as fast as hypothermia.

I agree, warmth/shelter are tops of my winter list and I have plan(s) for those. My hurdle in winter is food and I need to work on getting food without a gun or a hook.