![]() |
SERE Topics
Anyone who has graduated SERE Level C has my respect. I worked there for 18 years, and would like to hear your comments.
The Bearded One |
Quote:
Welcome aboard SGM!!! Last time I saw you I was criminal # 28.....:D |
Graduated? While there was still a pass/fail aspect, I always considered it to be more of a training experience...
Good experience upon reflection. Thanks for the good training SGM. |
Welcome......
Sucked while there but learned a lot....... |
Darkness
Criminal #1 here. The class that got snow in Jan 2000. I still consider that as one of the best and most realistic training I have attended.
|
I don't remember any Bearded One, I wasn't there, and if I was, I was asleep! I learned a lot SGM, thanks.
|
I went to the hard SERE C course at Fairchild AFB...
|
Thanks for the training! It was tough realistic training and I learned as much about myself as I did anything else. Went through in April-May '91 and my class was small due to Desert Storm/Shield. Criminal 15 signing off.
|
How do you all remember what criminal # you were? Some bearded guy slapped that shit out of me. :D
|
That name brings terror to so many... And we very much appreciate the training you bestowed (or slapped) us with. SERE ranks as one of the most valuable schools in my mind.
Thank you... Prisoner #47 |
I really liked the class on fire and water as taught by Kepke and I think I still have the fish net that I made out at Little Muddy.
-Crimminal 29 |
The Bearded One...The Bearded One... doesn't ring any bells.
The reason was that you actually taught classes during my class (Jan 95)! I got to experience "Santa Claus", another bearded one, but not "The Bearded One", Sometimes I think that I lucked out as your reputation preceded you SGM, but we must have been on Santa Claus' "Naughty List" because several days into the RTL I thought it was real! :eek: BTW, when he was teaching classes, he was really, really nice! :D Best training I think the Army has to offer! |
The RTL is "high theatre." I remember the camp rules speech being a masterpiece quality performance. I sat there thinking, "this is awesome. These guys set the stage perfect. It is like being inside a piece of performance art." I have to think on my "War Criminal" number though.
x/S |
Best school ever
"Roll to the porcelain..." EDIT: The class I was in had a female senior officer, senior enlisted and war baby. Has that ever happened again? |
Quote:
I liked how you singled out the poor LT's in our class TBO!! One actually cried in huge sobs, and that was in the classroom. Fairly entertaining. He didn't make the cut. |
Just got done with SERE and it taught me a lot about what I am capable of doing under so many stressors. It was an amazing experience.
War criminal #16 |
Best course I ever attended, hands down. The world was a different color coming out... I literally remember how bright the flag seemed when we were finally repatriated. Still a flood of emotions when I think about that moment.
War Criminal 30 and War Baby 2004 - June |
Quote:
ETA: any one that went through at that time period that remembers a skinny 5'10" interrogator that often wore a foreign camo pattern uniform with a Cuban looking cap (brass on cap was 3 chrysanthemums over a bar, all gold) PM me. Would love to hear an update. |
Just finished the last class. What an amazing school--definitely the best school I've gone through in the Q so far. I learned a whole new respect and appreciation for the American flag and POW's.
WC 5 |
Just a friendly reminder folks
The thread is good, just remember your SA and don't go into detail on anything.
I don't know if they sign NDA's anymore just keep in mind... Carry on..boots...boots... |
Quote:
|
"...there is no end to the war."
x/S |
WAR BABY HERE!!
Quote:
I was the War Baby in the USAF school (SV80A) back in 1974. Oh ... does the USAF Survival School count today as SERE? The school was a total of 13 days comprising classroom training, parachute ground school, evasion up near the Canadian border, then Xn days in POW camp. [Redacted for content] [ REDACTED ] My strongest memory is the final day when the People's Democratic Republic's OIC lined us up in formation and said that he would MAKE us salute their flag. [MY ASS! we thought!!!] [REDACTED] During the classroom phase we had instruction from an NCO (tech sgt, I think) named "Pickle" -- an unusual name that I've never forgotten. He E&E'd from East Germany as I recall. Taught us how to handle chase dogs. Fast forward to 2008 or thereabouts. I was TDY from NASA to a school inside Ft. Huachuca to get feedback on a project we were working on. The civilian head of that school said he was one of the PDR troops in '74 and remembered picking me up and shaking me violently (as the war baby, that was my fate whenever someone else said something wrong). Anyway, I think "Ed" has since retired from that school. And I think he lied when he said he remembered me. Just a "technique" if you know what I mean. Soooooo ..... how does the USAF SERE school compare with the SF SERE school? I was told in 74 that the SF school "boarded" all students. Is that true .... or another "war story?" --ghp95134 |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
Yeah ... I've graduated the "second toughest school in the military" .... ....oops ... not counting BUDS ... or PJ ...... Hell .... where, along the "toughest school in the military" continuum, DOES Ranger School fall? Am I down to Number Four now??? |
Air Force Survival
I guess I'll take a shot at this. I was a Survival Instructor at FAFB from 72-75. As most of you know the Survival School had a very different mission from the Army SERE school. Our job was to take air crew members some who had never been in the woods before and get them acquainted with wilderness survival. It was, a very basic school, and not intended to bring knowledge levels above be able to identify, and some basic skills. The resistance training portion was very limited due to time constraints, and very basic. For most Air Force personal it was "the hardest school" they had attended, and did save many lives. I had the privilege to attend the Army school, and it was much more focused and much harder. I am retired now and one of my team mates from Homestead is living with me. He left the Air Force in 82 and went to Navy and eventually SEALS. He and I agree that the Air Force Survival school and the training prior, called ITB then "instructor training branch" was the easiest of all of our military training. We have a reunion this summer, we plan to see what the "New SERE" is all about, but at face value, it seems to have improved a lot since our days. I do not feel that we were ever "operators" or ever at a level to be more than baggage carriers. However, we did bring back to the basic school a new team discipline, that seems to have caught on. Nothing changes over night, and I hope our career field will continue to improve, and earn the respect of the other branches.
|
Quote:
On another note, one of my favorite expierences from SERE was when an instructor was tossing a female around for "reeducation" and one of the guys took the bait and asked if the instructor was practicing for when he got home. Good times were had by all. |
Quote:
|
Baggage carriers
My response was to our positions as assigned during combat duty. I never made it as I was in Camp Chinen in 73 when hostilities ended. My service was not required. I was saying that we could be counted on to carry the baggage of those who had a combat MOS and were doing their jobs. I often asked my fellow instructors "what is it exactly that you are going to do on a team"? I had hoped to be a part of a team, and learned to stand back and not get in the way. I did appreciate my "Army" training and tried to implement the team approach when I arrived back at FAFB in July of 73. Survival Instructors (were) not inclined to herding and had little or no team discipline. I understand it is much better now. I am excited about my first reunion this summer in Spokane. I have watched the SERE video's and have several acquaintances who are now in senior positions in SERE. I also have team mates who have retired as E-9's.. Quite a surprise. Just proves the adage, "You just never know". or "who wooda guessed it"?
|
Quote:
In fact my SERE class was all chopper crew. I was the odd duck and the cadre all seem to relish in thinking I was someone I was not. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. |
Quote:
Now that's funny, right there...:D |
Resistance Training
I never worked in RT, but had many friends who did.. It did affect all to some degree and some to a great degree. Lot's of divorce and unusual changes of station. I worked as a field instructor and then at Homestead as water instructor. That was a ducky job.. Water jumps Tues and Thurs and working on Biscayne bay. The Water Survival School (Parachuting) was great duty. We did host a lot of CCT, PJ, and other SOF who needed night water certification. We had the boats. The Air Force navy. That gave us a chance to jump a lot of other air craft and see how it's really done.. Those slots are now held by MFF personal and when I got out slots to MFF were very very rare. I did get one of my guys a slot to Combat Dive School and he paid me back by going SF. I saw him at Ft. Bragg in 82. We called him "Squirmy", but he had put on muscle and was a huge body with a little head. L. Yerrich. What I remember I will never forget..
|
It's a shame there isn't a refresher course. Camp slappy optional.
|
Quote:
Thanks |
Quote:
TR |
| All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33. |
Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®