Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Gourmet Guerrilla (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Fish Tacos (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47828)

mark46th 01-13-2015 21:57

Tilapia? Not my favorite, but edible. it always tasted a little muddy to me. Freshwater fish- Crappie is the best, catfish is good, too. Try battered fried shrimp. Very good. And the holiest of holy, Abalone....

chance 01-13-2015 22:04

I've never tried Battered shrimp, but yes; Abalone is awesome just hard to find here at Campbell.

mark46th 01-13-2015 22:13

Hard to find in Southern California and they grow here. Abalone goes for close to $100.00/Lb...

chance 01-13-2015 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 572306)
Hard to find in Southern California and they grow here. Abalone goes for close to $100.00/Lb...

Yes, but for that once a year meal, man is it worth it.:D

JJ_BPK 01-14-2015 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by chance (Post 572286)
I did Talapia, and for the side I went with a corn and black bean cold salad.

I was in 6th SFG in 69. One of the new harts-n-minds tricks was to create local markets for subsistence farmers. A lot of rural areas in the world needed a cash crop to create a viable market economy.

The plan was to dig community ponds in the low areas of cattle & sheep pastures. Populate them with talapia fry. They are bottom feeders and the idea was the fish would recycle the abundant 1/2 chewed patties.

The farmers would have a marketable product within 4-6 months. It was a sustainable low costs source of fresh protein.

At least that was the story.. :munchin

I don't eat talapia.. :D

Team Sergeant 01-14-2015 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ_BPK (Post 572312)
I was in 6th SFG in 69. One of the new harts-n-minds tricks was to create local markets for subsistence farmers. A lot of rural areas in the world needed a cash crop to create a viable market economy.

The plan was to dig community ponds in the low areas of cattle & sheep pastures. Populate them with talapia fry. They are bottom feeders and the idea was the fish would recycle the abundant 1/2 chewed patties.

The farmers would have a marketable product within 4-6 months. It was a sustainable low costs source of fresh protein.

At least that was the story.. :munchin

I don't eat talapia.. :D

Shrimp, lobster, crab etc are also bottom feeders...... ;)

Gypsy 01-14-2015 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark46th (Post 572303)
And the holiest of holy, Abalone....

Sigh...oh the memories. My ex and his brother used to dive for it, we'd eat it fresh from the ocean.

mark46th 01-14-2015 22:09

Abalone is why I learned to dive. Now, in California, the limit is two and the only place to take them is in an area North of Yankee Point in Northern Calif., and, no SCUBA, Free Dive only. Someone drowns almost every year when they get tangled in the kelp...

The first time I ate Abalone was in Ensenada in 1969. $1.25 for 3 steaks, rice, beans, salad and tortillas. Dos Equis were $.50...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37.


Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®