Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-24-2005, 19:46   #1
Chris
Guerrilla

Southpaws!

My name is Chris, and I am a southpaw (lefty). I would like to know how many Quiet Professionals are also left handed. How this has hindered or abled you in any way? Whether being ambidextrous or living in a right-hand world has ever been a challenge.

Thanks for reading,

-Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 21:10   #2
lksteve
Quiet Professional

i am left-handed, although i throw right handed (Dad wanted me to be a middle infielder and refused to let me throw left handed)...i shoot left-handed, actually throw grenades with either hand and in many respects became ambidextrous out of necessity...

did i struggle with left-handedness....? all my life...weapons school was not as much fun during the mechanical training portion..."Take the upper receiver in your right hand..." alot of the instruction seemed counter intuitive to me...the magazine slide on a 1911 requires use of the right hand...but i adapted...i can do most things i needed to do in SF with either hand...

the only time i was really self-conscious about being left-handed was in the Middle East...there are certain taboos regarding using the left hand that made life uncomfortable...i used to sit on my left hand during meals, as it is a no-no to touch food on a communal plate with your left hand...i used to chuckle to myself about that...

i tend to compartmentalize...when i am surveying, i expect the knobs that operate the instrument to be on the right side...that's how they are built...i've never known a left handed survey instrument and probably couldn't operate one if i had to ...i use my left eye, so there's not much problem there...scissors...i haven't mastered scissors or tin snips yet...a circular saw or sabre saw is problematic...i try using them right handed, but the term wood butcher has my name all over it...never the less, there are alot of things that are designed for use with the right hand that i have never thought about because that's how it's always been...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton

Last edited by lksteve; 07-24-2005 at 21:17. Reason: added some things
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 21:19   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
...the magazine slide on a 1911 requires use of the right hand...but i adapted...
lksteve:

If you are referring to the magazine release, most left-handed shooters manipulate it with their index finger, some faster than right-handed people can with their thumbs.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 21:22   #4
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
If you are referring to the magazine release, most left-handed shooters manipulate it with their index finger, some faster than right-handed people can with their thumbs.
true...and i learned that probably seven years after being issued an M79/1911 as a grenadier in the 82nd...before that, i used my left index finger in a less-than-efficient manner...once being taught that i was allowed to use my right hand ( i am not joking about this), i found it was more efficient...when firing right handed, using the thumb seem awkward...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 07-26-2005, 19:53   #5
Doc
Quiet Professional

I'm left handed and I adapted like every other south paw that came into the military. It becomes second natured after a few thousand muscle memory drills.

You can do it!

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 20:19   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
I'm left handed and I adapted like every other south paw that came into the military. It becomes second natured after a few thousand muscle memory drills.

You can do it!

Doc
That's it in a nutshell. Handedness is an overblown issue (except that we are inately superior because of our ability to adapt to the prejudices and outright discrimination of a right-handed world). Though it does come in handy clearing to the right around corners. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 21:05   #7
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Does the US Mil issue many of the lefty M16 series? I've seen a picture of an SF soldier with one, but it's the only picture I've ever seen of a lefty M4.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 21:09   #8
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey14
Does the US Mil issue many of the lefty M16 series? I've seen a picture of an SF soldier with one, but it's the only picture I've ever seen of a lefty M4.
i've never seen a lefty M16...i'd bet the photograph was reversed...
Old 07-26-2005, 21:24   #9
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

It could well have been. I'm not certain to be honest.

I've heard of some guys here and in the Aus army who have found the Styer to be a bitawkward with the charging handle. I think you can move the ejection port over to the other side, but not the CH.

Old 07-26-2005, 21:37   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
i've never seen a lefty M16...i'd bet the photograph was reversed...
Same here. I agree, bad photo most likely.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-27-2005, 07:28   #11
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It could well have been. I'm not certain to be honest.

I've heard of some guys here and in the Aus army who have found the Styer to be a bitawkward with the charging handle. I think you can move the ejection port over to the other side, but not the CH.
Yes, the Steyr can be swapped. Worked with the Ecuadoran Army in the mid-80's when they had it. They couldn't wait to get their hands on the M-16 and I didn't blame them. Never did understand the gun writer's fascination with that weapon. Stag Arms makes the only true left handed AR I'm aware of. Personally, I don't see the point. FWIW - Peregrino
Old 07-27-2005, 08:54   #12
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Why don't you like the Styer? Was that the Euro made or the Aussie one? (I suspect the former).

And cheers for the info on the lefty M16s guys. Appreciated.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:54   #13
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Why don't you like the Styer? Was that the Euro made or the Aussie one? (I suspect the former).

And cheers for the info on the lefty M16s guys. Appreciated.
It was the Austrian version. The Ecuadorans had arms rooms full of non-functional AUGs; probably 30% of their weapons were down. They were being issued M-16s the last time I was there (1995) so they quit trying (canabalizing) to keep them functioning. I have problems with any weapon intended for military use that doesn't live up to expectations when LBGs have to train with, use, and maintain it. I strongly dislike the AK - mostly for it's ergonomics but it and the FN FAL set the standards for reliability, durability, simplicity, etc. The AUG in my experience does not measure up. It might work fine for an advanced military with a good tech base, but SF spends its time in the 3rd World. That's where things have to work without fail and the AUGs I saw didn't. FWIW - Peregrino
Old 07-31-2005, 04:02   #14
Sibilant_Ghost
Asset

Usage of southpaw in tactical environments

okay first off I'm back the CLFX at warrior base rocked...

Anyway, the usage of brass deflectors has greatly increased the capability of the left handed soldier when using both the m-16A2 and the M4.

Also, in a file squad moving through light to thick brush/jungle a left-handed shooter is an asset, as all weapons carried at the low ready would be pointing to the left and having a left handed firer or 2 would cover your right flank much better, especially if one is a 203 or a 249/240b to compensate for the lack of fire coverage on the right hand side. So, consider yourself a member of the rare and necessary few for a successful rifle squad. ~Sibilant~
King Henry the 5th - William Shakespeare
Sibilant_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:06   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

SG:

Brass deflectors are built into the M-16A2s and M-4s, they don't have to be "used".

A good patrol member keeps his weapon oriented outwards regardless of what his primary hand is or which side he is on. Do you have a lot of jungle patrolling experience?

TR