Old 06-19-2005, 18:35   #1
FrankS
On Probation

37 YOA?

What do you think about someone 37 trying out for SF?
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 18:48   #2
Gypsy
Area Commander

Hi Frank, welcome and thanks for your prior service to our Country!

I'm not a Quiet Professional, or former Military for that matter...just a civilian with ties to and a love for our Military. That said, you might want to read a bit to familiarize yourself with the various forums and their content and do some key word searches to find many answers to questions you may have.

Here's just one thread you might find interesting in answer to your question.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ead.php?t=7098
Old 06-19-2005, 20:54   #3
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
trying out...? not a problem...making it? it can be done...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 23:50   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I think that you should acquaint yourself with the "Search" button before asking questions.

You need to work on your run time as well, if you are going to try this career.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:19   #5
Doc
Quiet Professional

Quote:

You need to be able to lead the pack and not be able to just get by if you want to get selected.

Good luck.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 13:24   #6
TFM
Guerrilla

---------

Last edited by TFM; 06-21-2005 at 06:24.
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 13:41   #7
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM
I have read about guys in there late 40's who have done quite well, and were active SF at that age.
staying at a high level of fitness in one's thirties and forties is much, much easier than achieving that level of fitness at the same age...getting there is going to be the hard part...training for an athletic event, no matter how arduous, isn't the same animal...but to get there, one has to try...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 20:53   #8
FrankS
On Probation

Thanks

Thanks I have had the opportunity to search the forum and have found lots of topics in regards to my question. I am sorry for repeating this but I am thankful for everyone taking the time to answer the question. Thank you again for your input, it's very encouraging to hear that it is possible. I have actually set my goal to compete in the iron man in 2010. I applied to try the eco challenge with the SWAT team I was on but the guys backed out, good thing I think I would have had my ass handed to me.

Thanks Frank
Old 06-20-2005, 22:47   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM
I have read about guys in there late 40's who have done quite well, and were active SF at that age. One thing about PT though is that to get to where you can be competetive, you must raise the bar higher than you have probably ever imagined. Before I started this a year ago, I used to think I was in shape. The more I learned, and the more I trained, things changed. The bar was raised, and now I am not in the same league as the average Joe, but those guys don't matter anymore. I'm up against the best of the best. Super athletes. So just because I can run a 5K in 20 minutes means nothing compared to the elite. That's what I think of. I have to be far beyond my old idea of fit to make it. There are guys out there like these Ironman athletes who are going for the same thing I am. Keep pushing.
TFM:

The question was whether a 37 y/o could make it in SF.

Are you concealing an SF career from us, or are you just jumping in with an opinion where you have no personal knowledge to pump up your post count?

Have you successfully completed the SFQC? Reading about it is not an acceptable substitute. Some of us have walked that path, for better than two decades.

If you are not an SF soldier, there are more factors in replying to this question that you have any idea of.

Please feel free to keep your opinions to yourself in the future in the SF forums unless you have expertise in the area.

Have a very SF day.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:08   #10
TFM
Guerrilla

TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 14:24   #11
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have actually set my goal to compete in the iron man in 2010. I applied to try the eco challenge with the SWAT team I was on but the guys backed out, good thing I think I would have had my ass handed to me.

Thanks Frank
Hi Frank,

This is a bit off topic, but I want to let you know you can set your sights higher.
You don't need five years to prepare for an Iron distance tri. ABC's Wide World of Sports showing all the finishers crawling across the finish line in Hawaii over the years has created the impression that it's the most difficult test of endurance . It's not.

I reckon you could get ready in six months, assuming you aren't overweight now and have any sort of fitness base to work with, and in much less time if you have a decent base in cycling or running. Once you can run a marathon, you'll be close to ready. The cut off times are generous for the swim and bike, so you don't have to be fast if your goal is to just finish.

(Now if you meant five years to qualify for the World Championship in Hawaii, nevermind. You might train for a lifetime and never be fast enough to qualify.)

Good luck.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 21:09   #12
FrankS
On Probation

iron Man.

No sir , just the iron man. I am 2% and 15 lbs over 72" working out everyday. getting ready for enlistment. I don't have access to a gym right now if I did I am thinking it would be easier, I try to do at least 3 miles everyday 4.5 everyother, 300 necklifts everyday, 30 minutes on the rowing machine and 50 reps with the weights. I was 245, 3 months ago. It sounds like you know what you are talking about, maybe I will see you at an Iron Man.

Take Care ,,, Frank