Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 03-29-2005, 19:31   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Retrograde Intubation

you Docs want to tell us about it?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 21:44   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Sarnt:

Are you looking for an explaination of, indications for, contraindications against, equipment needed, etc?

edited this part for clarity
My understanding of it (in paramedic terms) is that RI refers to introducing a wire into the trachea through the cricoid membrane and passing it up and out of the mouth. Once the wire is passed up out of the mouth the tube is guided over the wire and then the vocal cords by using the wire as a guide.

It is a procedure that takes a lot of practice/training IMHO. (I hope I explained that right. We only touched on it slightly during in-service once as we did not use the procedure at that time and still dont.)

It looked more time consuming to me (Paramedic) than whipping out the trusty laryngoscope or other airway adjunct of choice, in the field anyway.

An alternative to RI would be a Bougie(sp) Inducer. Its similar to a stylette but longer and with a larger more rounded distal end. It is introducer thru the cords then the tube is advanced over it. Once the ET is in place the BI is retracted. They were looked at once by my service to aid in tubing patients whose very anterior. Better IMNSHO for EMS/FD use as there is not the worry of perforating the trachea, or other anatomy, while bouncing down the road... errr...enroute to the ER. They seemed to be used in the OR quite frequently where DocT and I once were employed.

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 03-31-2005 at 07:27. Reason: miscommunication on my part...no suprise there.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:14   #3
ccrn
Guerrilla

I think Crip has it right based on my experience.

Ive only seen it a couple of times myself-
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:37   #4
SwedeGlocker
Asset

Whille i belive that this is another tool in the box i cant really see the use for a military medic. If you cant intubate then i belive thats it better used time to do a cric.
SwedeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:44   #5
18C/GS 0602
Quiet Professional

NDD is this what you were referring to?

http://www.acutedoc.com/alternativea...tm#Indications

I have been taught the procedure during an airway course, but I haven’t used it or seen it done. It is another tool in the box, but I think in hospital environment there are better options. It might be a viable option in prehospital/wilderness/tactical environments.

Last edited by 18C/GS 0602; 03-30-2005 at 13:45.
18C/GS 0602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 13:37   #6
52bravo
Auxiliary

what are you looking for?

i have to go on what SG says, a tool in the box. This is probably the route of choice in the setting of maxillofacial trauma.
you can use a seldinge crit. set for it
If we are going to ask one of our combat medics to undertake a medical treatment in the middle of a firefight, then we need to be as sure as possible that the benefit resulting from this treatment is going to be worth the risk.
52bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 14:52   #7
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52bravo
... This is probably the route of choice in the setting of maxillofacial trauma...
The AOC for me is a Cric.

I fully understand its another tool in the box and believe me when I say the more the better. I guess for me it comes down to another perishable skill set. If not performed often enough it may take more time to reaquaint yourself with than need be to secure the airway.

Just my .02.

Crip

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 03-30-2005 at 15:15.
Old 03-30-2005, 15:28   #8
rogerabn
Asset

Talking

Retrograde intubation as I was taught is a technique using a guide wire inserted into the trachea though the cricoid cartridge. and advanced up towards the cords. Once the wire is visualized it is advanced out of the oral pharynx to the point that a oral ETT can be advanced over the wire. One the holds the wire with some hemostats and advances the tube past the cords. This is so rarely used I have only seen it in videos during school. Used with local anesthetics and LIGHT sedation. This is used in the most difficult of airways, and rarely used..
I myself use an intubating stylet for almost all my intubations except for peds. And I always have a Bougie on the table next to me. If you don’t secure an airway the first time, then you better have a back up ready to go NOW. No matter how good of a tube jockey you might think you are, there is an airway that is out there that will humble you real quick. Confidence is good, over confidence is a killer.

Having been humbled more times than I can count. Roger Coleman CRNA
rogerabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 20:11   #9
Endorphin Rush
Guerrilla

I'm with Rogerabn on this one...

I was shown this technique in an ATLS class years ago. I believe the wire is introduced into the trachea via the Cricothyroid membrane and then up through the cords until visualized in the oropharynx. The ETT is then guided past the cords by way of the stylette. This is not a guaranteed intubation, even so. And once you've cut the cricothyroid membrane (which is not particularly vascular all by itself) you've got a bloody mess to intubate around. I've actually seen this technique attempted unsuccessfully, in a fall victim with gross maxillofacial trauma, after which our flight nurse simply passed as large a tube as would fit through the Cricothyroid membrane, inflated the cuff, and ventilated away.
Endorphin Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 21:06   #10
jasonglh
Guerrilla

Great thread with lots of info!

I have only seen it attempted once. Our local hospital is a teaching hospital with a level 1 trauma center right here in the heart of BFE. If I remember right the ER Doc had a student with him that night and used it on a guy with multi GSW and a bullet wound to the jaw. Looked like round shattered his jaw and his airway was a mess. I think his buddies brought him to the ER in the back of a truck.

It seemed at the time to me it would have been just as easy and faster to use that Nu-trake (SP?) kit.

What kits do you guys have for a Cric ?

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 22:11   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerabn
Retrograde intubation as I was taught is a technique using a guide wire inserted into the trachea though the cricoid cartridge. and advanced up towards the cords. Once the wire is visualized it is advanced out of the oral pharynx to the point that a oral ETT can be advanced over the wire. One the holds the wire with some hemostats and advances the tube past the cords. This is so rarely used I have only seen it in videos during school. Used with local anesthetics and LIGHT sedation. This is used in the most difficult of airways, and rarely used..
I myself use an intubating stylet for almost all my intubations except for peds. And I always have a Bougie on the table next to me. If you don’t secure an airway the first time, then you better have a back up ready to go NOW. No matter how good of a tube jockey you might think you are, there is an airway that is out there that will humble you real quick. Confidence is good, over confidence is a killer.

Having been humbled more times than I can count. Roger Coleman CRNA
That is my understanding of it as well. Bassackwards
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:26   #12
52bravo
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh

What kits do you guys have for a Cric ?

a knife, a tube+cuff (6.0 fit all!!!!!!) and pean. it what i use i my medic bag. i have useed the selding set(min trach II i think it is call) and it can also be use for Retrograd.
but the army use the set call minitrach(only knife and tube) dont like it.
for a trauma PT a cuff can do the driffrens.
the quicktrach is god as well but has menny wrong palcement in some test(some says).

Frank
If we are going to ask one of our combat medics to undertake a medical treatment in the middle of a firefight, then we need to be as sure as possible that the benefit resulting from this treatment is going to be worth the risk.
52bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46   #13
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I have used two different types of Cric sets:

1.) Nu-Trake commercially available

2.) #11 blade, 6.0 ET, and tape (ofcourse)

HTH,

Crip

Old 03-31-2005, 16:10   #14
jasonglh
Guerrilla

We only carried a needle kit and then a few years before I left EMS we had the Nu-Trakes. I remember there was some controversy as to whether or not a Paramedic in KY could use the Nu-Trake since it came with a scapel. Out medical director said we could use it so thats all I needed to hear on that.

I remember only being on 2 calls where we called for orders to use it but was denied both times only to have the ER Doc use it once we got there.

Hell it cant be that hard Radar did it on MASH after all!

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 19:18   #15
Asset

That's where Michigan is a bit messed up. When I left, you could do cric's in Ottawa county, but not Kent, unless you were a flight nurse or up. The trauma center, plus 4 hospitals are in Kent county, Ottawa is lots of farm land. I've heard of medcom trying to make Paramedic's take them out once they crossed county lines. Noone even tries to do them, the kits were taken off.
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote